Xianity in the News: Catholics are doubting.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Xianity in the News: Catholics are doubting.

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

According to USA Today, some Roman Catholics are finally getting wise to the wiles of their church's clergy. According to the article, Should Catholics keep their faith? Sex abuse scandals prompt more to personally question ties to church, poll finds,
The Gallup poll found that 37 percent of respondents said "recent news about sexual abuse of young people by priests" has them personally questioning whether to remain Catholic — a 15 point increase since 2002.
I just hope that news articles like this one continue to be published informing Christians about what their religion is doing. This kind of information can sow doubt which can lead to less abuse as Christians learn not to trust their faith.

Question for Debate: Is news and information helpful in mitigating the harm done by Christianity?

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by JJ50 »

The RCC doctrine is very sick, and whilst it is no excuse whatsoever for paedophile priests and the hierarchy covering up their crimes, it certainly doesn't help.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Jagella »

JJ50 wrote: The RCC doctrine is very sick, and whilst it is no excuse whatsoever for paedophile priests and the hierarchy covering up their crimes, it certainly doesn't help.
If only people would learn to think more critically, then tragedies like this Christian sex abuse would be much less common.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #4

Post by benchwarmer »

JJ50 wrote: The RCC doctrine is very sick, and whilst it is no excuse whatsoever for paedophile priests and the hierarchy covering up their crimes, it certainly doesn't help.
To be fair, the actual RCC doctrine, AKA the Catechism of the Catholic Church, is not what is sick.

What is sick is that priests and bishops are failing to actually protect their flock and seem more interested in saving face than punishing law breakers. They don't want to make it abundantly clear that priests have no special grace from god and are just as 'human' as the rest of us. In fact they may be worse as some likely choose the profession for the access to power, fame, and sadly young children.

I'm all for the Catholic Church being razed to the ground, but I don't think their official doctrine is the problem. It's their actual policies of handling crime and trying to sweep inconvenient truth under the rug.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Jagella »

benchwarmer wrote:I'm all for the Catholic Church being razed to the ground, but I don't think their official doctrine is the problem. It's their actual policies of handling crime and trying to sweep inconvenient truth under the rug.
I think it's naive to insist that Catholic and Christian doctrine has nothing to do with the child abuse so very often inflicted by Christians. If people derive their morals from an ideology and then abuse children, it seems reasonable to me to conclude that the doctrine has something to do with that abuse.

But let me ask to see what the problem may be. What's more important: Christianity or children? An honest answer will let us know why kids get abused by the church.

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: Xianity in the News: Catholics are doubting.

Post #6

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

This is where faith come in, the faithful question their ties to the church, but still dutifully put their money on the collection plate. I don't see much effect on mitigating the harm until they don't merely doubt but leave for real.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: Xianity in the News: Catholics are doubting.

Post #7

Post by Jagella »

Bust Nak wrote:This is where faith come in, the faithful question their ties to the church, but still dutifully put their money on the collection plate. I don't see much effect on mitigating the harm until they don't merely doubt but leave for real.
My brother is a Roman Catholic, and I told him in person that if he gives money to his church, then he's financing child abuse. Fortunately, he stopped attending mass long before I pointed out this problem to him.

And you're right; when people exercise religious faith, then they're not exercising their brains. It takes faith to trust people who say they speak for an all-mighty god who needs money.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #8

Post by benchwarmer »

Jagella wrote:
benchwarmer wrote:I'm all for the Catholic Church being razed to the ground, but I don't think their official doctrine is the problem. It's their actual policies of handling crime and trying to sweep inconvenient truth under the rug.
I think it's naive to insist that Catholic and Christian doctrine has nothing to do with the child abuse so very often inflicted by Christians. If people derive their morals from an ideology and then abuse children, it seems reasonable to me to conclude that the doctrine has something to do with that abuse.

But let me ask to see what the problem may be. What's more important: Christianity or children? An honest answer will let us know why kids get abused by the church.
Again, I think you paint with too broad a brush. Kids are not abused directly 'by the church'. Kids are abused by lowlifes who manage to get positions of power in the church. The hierarchy (the church if you will) then sweeps this abuse under the rug.

Christians who abuse children do not do so based on any doctrine that I'm aware of. Feel free to cite the Catechism or other church official doctrine that you feel is the problem.

IMHO, the issue is that people are using the cover of the church to do as they please and NOT follow official doctrine. They are counting on the unwritten 'rules' of priests being protected from persecution. Thankfully a lot of light has been shone on this practice and I hope it will soon be eradicated. The churches themselves crumbling will also fix the problem of course, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a Christian anymore and think most of the doctrine is bunk, but I don't think you will find instructions for abusing children therein. Feel free to correct me with quotes from any Christian doctrine.

Filthy Tugboat
Guru

Post #9

Post by Filthy Tugboat »

[Replying to post 8 by benchwarmer]
Again, I think you paint with too broad a brush. Kids are not abused directly 'by the church'. Kids are abused by lowlifes who manage to get positions of power in the church. The hierarchy (the church if you will) then sweeps this abuse under the rug.
Kids absolutely were directly abused by the Church both by Church authorities, even senior church authorities as well as by the Church itself who knowingly moved predator from place to place without informing the families that they were being introduced to paedophiles. The Church ensured children would be abused time and again with knowledge of multiple instances of prior abuse.
Religion feels to me a little like a Nigerian Prince scam. The "offer" is illegitimate, the "request" is unreasonable and the source is dubious, in fact, Nigeria doesn't even have a royal family.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #10

Post by benchwarmer »

Filthy Tugboat wrote: [Replying to post 8 by benchwarmer]
Kids absolutely were directly abused by the Church both by Church authorities, even senior church authorities as well as by the Church itself who knowingly moved predator from place to place without informing the families that they were being introduced to paedophiles. The Church ensured children would be abused time and again with knowledge of multiple instances of prior abuse.
I get exactly what you are saying, I'm talking about OFFICIAL church doctrine. Please link me to WRITTEN doctrine that enables the abuse. That is what I've been talking about all along.

I fully understand the reprehensible actions taken by church officials. This very scandal was just one of the many reasons I walked away from the RCC.