Where Does The Bible Address Muhammad And The Rise Of Islam?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Matthew S Islam
Student

Where Does The Bible Address Muhammad And The Rise Of Islam?

Post #1

Post by Matthew S Islam »

Greetings,

I'm curious to know how Christians make sense of the emergence and subsequent dominance of Islam from a Biblical standpoint.

The Islamic tradition was a successful enterprise both on a religious and political level. Muslims proclaim that their religion was completed; their scriptures and exegesis are preserved; and the immediate followers of Muhammad conquered the Persians and Romans.
Islam has survived the test of time and is currently the main opponent to Christian propagation. If one were to compare between the claims objectively, then the least we could say is that Islam poses a threat to the Christian narrative.

1) Does the Bible explicitly foretell the coming of Prophet Muhammad and the Islamic tradition?

I'm aware of Paul's censure of different Gospels and false apostles. What I'm looking for are explicit references to the fore-coming clash between the religions i.e. Clear Prophecies.

2) Considering how our circumstances are ultimately Destined and Willed by God, then would it not be reasonable for us to expect God to adequately address this dilemma? He could have revealed explicit prophecies and guidance concerning it, or He could've weakened the intellectual threat of the opponent.

As of now I feel as though Islam caught Christianity off-guard and I'm not sure how to make sense of that.

Feel free to share your thoughts.

The Tanager
Savant

Re: Where Does The Bible Address Muhammad And The Rise Of Is

Post #2

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to post 1 by Matthew S]

I don't think the Bible directly addresses the emergence of Islam, but I don't see why it should be expected to. Why would early Christians need to know about those kinds of specifics? Christians are given the general principles in the Bible that they can then apply to any number of situations. Could you say more about why you see this as a problem?

What do you mean by saying God destines and wills our circumstances? You seem to think humans have some kind of free will, needing guidance, talking of intellectual threats.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ttruscott »

Matthew S wrote: Greetings,

I'm curious to know how Christians make sense of the emergence and subsequent dominance of Islam from a Biblical standpoint.
As of now I feel as though Islam caught Christianity off-guard and I'm not sure how to make sense of that.
Too much has been written by Christian Bible scholars about this to be quoted. Google can be your friend, eh? Suffice to say the Muslim religion snuck up on no one who cared and has been equated with the Anti-Christ for centuries... The earliest known exponent of this view is suggested to be John of Damascus in the 7th century, for instance, within 200 years of Muhammad's rise.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

I believe Islam is covered by Jesus warnings against false prophets who would arise to mislead many.

MATTHEW 7:22-23

Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew* you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’

The "workers of lawlessness" (some bibles say workers of inquiry or evil) do not only apply to nominal Christian religions but to false religions that profess faith in the Abrahamic God (and even to non Christians ) so this would cover Islam. We dont believe that ISLAM is the "antichrist" just part of the umbrella term the "Whore of Babylon" spoken of in the book of Revelation that constitutes the world's religions which are constantly evolving and spawning new forms, some of which die out and some of which, like Islam, catch on and become popular.

The bible prophecies that God will call all such religions to judgement exposing them for the corrupt God dishonoring forces they are.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

Who or what is the whore of Babylon ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 185#917185

Is the name Mohamed in the bible?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 576#800576
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

[Replying to post 4 by JehovahsWitness]

Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew* you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’

Actually, given the description as to what those Jesus spoke about would do, and why they would be turned away on that day of judgment;

1: Prophesy in the name of Jesus
2: Expel demons in the name of Jesus
3: Perform many powerful works in the name of Jesus

One can conclude without doubt, that Jesus was speaking directly about those pretending to be his followers by using His name - claiming he was their authority in regard to their actions.

I have no idea how Muhammad warned his followers regarding in-house deceptions, but it is clear to this reader that Jesus was speaking about Christendom/Christians, because Christians are the ones doing things in Jesus' name, not Muslims.

I do understand the temptation to allot blame to other religions in order to make one feel good about their own Christian religions actions done in the name of the one they purport to be following - Jesus - but Jesus informs us in that verse that it will be the ones who claimed to be following him, who he will reject and why he will be rejecting them.
I believe Islam is covered by Jesus warnings against false prophets who would arise to mislead many.
Well you are free to believe whatever you will, but you cannot say that you were not warned, and your claims about this are a good example of what Jesus warned regarding deception done in his name.
Last edited by William on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

Christianity is caught off-guard because it used the name of Jesus to commit atrocity and then tried to cover it by declaring that followers of Islam were the ones Jesus warned them about.

A classic case of not being willing to remove the crap from their own eyes before attempting to remove the crap from the eyes of others.

The vacuum caused by this probably helped the rise of Islam as the followers of Jesus dwindled and the false followers of Jesus grew in numbers to officially become Christianity.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 4 by JehovahsWitness]
some bibles say workers of inquiry or evil
I think you mean iniquity and not inquiry?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Matthew S Islam
Student

Post #8

I don't think the Bible directly addresses the emergence of Islam, but I don't see why it should be expected to. Why would early Christians need to know about those kinds of specifics? Christians are given the general principles in the Bible that they can then apply to any number of situations. Could you say more about why you see this as a problem?
Well the Bible is supposedly a book of Divine revelations and teachings of Prophets. The Prophets were tasked with conveying whatever information was needed for the guidance of their communities. This would also include warning us of any major threats to our salvation and providing us with prophetic solutions.

In Islam, for example, the Prophet Muhammad explicitly informed his nation of all the major signs and tribulations that were yet to come. It is inconceivable from an Islamic point of view for their to arise a new religion which appears more cohesive and Divine. If that did happen, it would certainly put the Prophet Muhammad's truthfulness into question. We would expect him to warn us of what appears to be a more superior and persuasive religion, or we would have reason to criticize Muhammad's God for making life's test too difficult.
What do you mean by saying God destines and wills our circumstances? You seem to think humans have some kind of free will, needing guidance, talking of intellectual threats.
God created this world and quantified everything in accordance with His Knowledge and Will. Our human condition and experience is what God has determined for us in order to test our sincerity, devotion, and reasoning.

Yes, I come from the angle that humans play a role and are responsible for their own guidance. We are expected to seek the truth with sincerity, patience and reliance upon God. Humans are going to be questioned in the next life regarding why they rejected God's signs. However, we don't believe our guidance is completely independent from God. Our guidance is ultimately in the hands of God, but He's granted us a limited realm of free-will which justifies our fate in the Hereafter.

Matthew S Islam
Student

Post #9

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Matthew S]

The "workers of lawlessness" (some bibles say workers of inquiry or evil) do not only apply to nominal Christian religions but to false religions that profess faith in the Abrahamic God (and even to non Christians ) so this would cover Islam. We dont believe that ISLAM is the "antichrist" just part of the umbrella term the "Whore of Babylon" spoken of in the book of Revelation that constitutes the world's religions which are constantly evolving and spawning new forms, some of which die out and some of which, like Islam, catch on and become popular.

The bible prophecies that God will call all such religions to judgement exposing them for the corrupt God dishonoring forces they are.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

Who or what is the whore of Babylon ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 185#917185

Is the name Mohamed in the bible?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 576#800576
I remember the "whore of Babylon" thing from before. Is this a popular understanding amongst Christians or just a Jehovah's Witness thing?

So what are your thoughts concerning the role Islam plays as oppose to Hinduism or Mormonism? Obviously Islam and Christianity are head-to-head when it comes to the "religious battle". Did God just pick one of the "whore's of Babylon" over the others to challenge Christianity?

Matthew S Islam
Student

Post #10

The earliest known exponent of this view is suggested to be John of Damascus in the 7th century, for instance, within 200 years of Muhammad's rise.
John of Damascus -- a well known personality in early Islamic history. I'll look into it.