Is Christ too small to be a god?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Is Christ too small to be a god?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Is Christ a man-made God or indeed a man made God? Imagine aliens more intelligent than Einstein or Newton or Aristotle or Stephen King, learning that Jesus was from Nazareth, a garden plot on Earth, and he walked about bipedally and said a few wise words. Would they adore him? Did Jesus have anything to say about higher intelligences? Is the son of a carpenter really the stuff of divine intelligence or just another man-made myth that raises man above koalas and kangaroos in cosmic importance?

Filthy Tugboat
Guru

Re: Is Christ too small to be a god?

Post #2

Post by Filthy Tugboat »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

I have always felt like Jesus was just a man, from the first time I ever heard of him, I took him to be like some sort of magician or something similar to a wizard in a storybook. It has always seemed so alien that Jesus would be a god or the God or whatever. Perhaps it is because he is so small and far away, to me, a god or the God would never come across as small, nor far away.
Religion feels to me a little like a Nigerian Prince scam. The "offer" is illegitimate, the "request" is unreasonable and the source is dubious, in fact, Nigeria doesn't even have a royal family.

marco
Savant

Post #3

Post by marco »

Filthy Tugboat wrote: [Replying to post 1 by marco]

I have always felt like Jesus was just a man, from the first time I ever heard of him, I took him to be like some sort of magician or something similar to a wizard in a storybook. It has always seemed so alien that Jesus would be a god or the God or whatever. Perhaps it is because he is so small and far away, to me, a god or the God would never come across as small, nor far away.

Much is made of the smallness, converting it into a virtue. The fox has its earth to live in but the Son of man has nowhere to lie down. His method of committing suicide was ignoble crucifixion, which, by the same paradoxical means, raised his status.

Some operas, like Turandot, have the important hero come in disguise, so I suppose it's a common theme in fiction. Zeus disguised himself but more imaginatively.

As a boy I found something attractive in the precocious schoolboy, Christ, boastfully putting down his elders and betters. That had the makings of a better opera. Then he overdid it with dead bodies and fish. It didn't make him bigger.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ttruscott »

marco wrote: Is Christ a man-made God or indeed a man made God?
And yet for saying nothing important and doing nothing but dying for the redemption of the sinful elect who can be rehabilitated once they are free from the legal requirements against their evil,

here He is! Still. Biggest number of followers on this planet. And among all the aliens too for all we know. Surviving all gently toned witticisms against Him quite well, no matter how sarcastic.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

ttruscott wrote:
here He is! Still.

He isn't here. His followers are. Given that modern humans have been around for at least 200,000 years, less than 2,000 years of popularity isn't much of a feat.

Biggest number of followers on this planet.

Which proves nothing but that he has the biggest number of followers on this planet, assuming that your unsupported claim is true.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

For a dude who is claimed to have done such great things, even his biggest act wasn't very impressive. It is claimed that he died. Actual death is permanent. He gave up a weekend or so.

Even as a Christian, I never could generate much sympathy on Good Friday. You guys do remember Easter is two days away?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by ttruscott »

Tcg wrote: Actual death is permanent.
Who proved this? I do not live with this idea as a reality: death is the state of a body without an animating spirit and even this is reversed by resurrection. Eternal (permanent) death is the state of an eternally self and other aware spirit (maybe in physical body) outside of GOD's prevue. So it depends upon which death when to say it is permanent.

Suggesting Christians accept death to be the same as secular materialism's idea of a permanent death of is a short sighted straw man mistake.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #8

Post by Divine Insight »

marco wrote: ,... he walked about bipedally and said a few wise words.
That's exactly what he did. Moreover the few wise words he said weren't even original ideas. Jesus introduced absolutely nothing that hadn't already previously been suggested by other humans who had lived long before Jesus was ever even born.

So Jesus added absolutely nothing to human thought.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

ttruscott wrote:

Biggest number of followers on this planet.
Numbers don't come with intelligent wings. I'm not impressed by the philosophical activity in a flock of starlings or a herd of sheep. In human history it's the brave, clever, bold individual who changes society; numbers are fine if they carry guns or swords. That sort of numerical activity fattened the calf of Christianity.

marco
Savant

Post #10

Post by marco »

Tcg wrote:

For a dude who is claimed to have done such great things, even his biggest act wasn't very impressive. It is claimed that he died. Actual death is permanent. He gave up a weekend or so.

Even as a Christian, I never could generate much sympathy on Good Friday. You guys do remember Easter is two days away?

One of my Jewish friends says he celebrates Good Friday rather than Easter Sunday. To be fair if he was relying on Yahweh to resurrect him, I think Christ was very brave in going through with it.

What an odd, silly mixed-up life if it ever was!