Is God a killer?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Is God a killer?

Post #1

Post by marco »

If creation reflects, in some way, the great mind of God, then what can we say of the spider gifted with a talent to paralyse prey or the tiger endowed with killer force or the herbivore hippo that kills in fits of irritation or the venomous snake whose kiss is fatal?

What mind conceived such dark horrors? Where was the pity for the billion daily victims in the world he has made for his amusement? Surely there is displayed more horror, more brutality than love when even a simple plant can close its jaws on life and render it null.

So should we deduce God is more killer than kind?

Tcg
Savant

Re: Is God a killer?

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

We've got internal foes to face as well. If we avoid those dangerous creatures long enough, we are rewarded with death by decay. Warren Zevon said it well, "Life'll Kill Ya."

Those with a more heavenly mindset may say it is all part of God's plan. In that case, we could interpret Mr. Zevon's words as, "God'll Kill Ya." If that is true, it's a rather devilish way to cause us to seek a reprieve from the very person who has passed the sentence. Give or take a prophet or two, none of us are granted that reprieve, no matter how much we beg.

Given that God is gonna kill us with some method, fast or slow, we should heed another reminder from the late Warren Zevon. Knowing he'd soon die of cancer, he stated it quite simply, "Enjoy every sandwich."

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: ...
I would need much more information to say God is killer and not kind. What we can nowadays see is not same what was originally after God had created. And I believe everything that God created was good.

marco
Savant

Post #4

Post by marco »

Tcg wrote:

We've got internal foes to face as well. If we avoid those dangerous creatures long enough, we are rewarded with death by decay. Warren Zevon said it well, "Life'll Kill Ya."
I deduce from the pronoun formation that Warren was not a man of my milieu. That usually means he's got something to do with rap, zap, pop or rock or some such monosyllable. However, he's grasped a truth: life will indeed do for you.
Tcg wrote:
Given that God is gonna kill us with some method, fast or slow, we should heed another reminder from the late Warren Zevon. Knowing he'd soon die of cancer, he stated it quite simply, "Enjoy every sandwich."

There's nothing like death to produce brilliant quotes but TS Elliot suggested life is measured in coffee spoons. I wasn't quite looking at the OP in the way you've taken it, but you make interesting reading. A being who devised death, I would think, is not your Santa Claus. But then we blame death on poor caveman Adam. God is life, love and litanies. He was so full of love that he had his kid killed. No greater love hath any god.
Last edited by marco on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by ttruscott »

marco wrote: What mind conceived such dark horrors? Where was the pity for the billion daily victims in the world he has made for his amusement? Surely there is displayed more horror, more brutality than love when even a simple plant can close its jaws on life and render it null. So should we deduce God is more killer than kind?
Yes yes - we have heard it all before. Suffering is evil not a just response to the evils of others. Suffering and death is proof GOD is evil and not the sinners HE is forced to deal with by their choice to be evil.

Suffering and death are the two great evidences of sin but we will softly remove them from demons lives because it makes them feel bad. It is suffering that causes those who can be rehabilitated to come to their senses and leave the demons to HIS judgement, to drop their support for them against YHWH as being the evil one.

For a Prison Planet, this place for all its dangers is a pretty nice place even though it was created to reflect the way the whole universe would go, descending into Mordor, if evil is not eradicated. With evil contained here the rest of the universe is the playground for the holy elect, the angelic host.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
I would need much more information to say God is killer and not kind. What we can nowadays see is not same what was originally after God had created. And I believe everything that God created was good.

You're simply arguing that God is a killer based on incompetence, his inability to maintain the good you claim he created. Whether God is a killer based on his ineptitude, or his direct intention, he is a killer.

If poisonous snakes came to be while God wasn't paying attention, their bite is not any less lethal than if God designed the bite to be lethal. He's responsible one way or the other. Unless of course he isn't in control of everything. If that is the case, one has to wonder how he attained the title, "God."

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

ttruscott wrote:

Yes yes - we have heard it all before. Suffering is evil not a just response to the evils of others. Suffering and death is proof GOD is evil and not the sinners HE is forced to deal with by their choice to be evil.
That is not what I was arguing. I was looking at the things that God has created and asking what mind had sanctioned them. Man blaming God for evil is another sermon.

ttruscott wrote:
For a Prison Planet, this place for all its dangers is a pretty nice place

Well I don't endorse the prison planet theory. Tell the creature being torn apart that this is a pleasant place.
ttruscott wrote:
With evil contained here the rest of the universe is the playground for the holy elect, the angelic host.
If God's wheels turn so ponderously to achieve things, then he's third rate. Surely if we are to construct theories around God, then they should at the very least compliment the deity.

marco
Savant

Post #8

Post by marco »

1213 wrote:

No, you would simply require to assess how things live and die and what some creatures have to do in order to keep alive. The artists is judged by what he has produced.

I don't understand how things have materially changed since God first ordered a package of tigers, weasels and sharks. Did Adam make them?

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

marco wrote:
I deduce from the pronoun formation that Warren was not a man of my milieu. That usually means he's got something to do with rap, zap, pop or rock or some such monosyllable.

By age thirteen, he was studying music with Igor Stravinsky whose music included more than one syllable. But yes, he choose to express his genius for a more proletariat crowd.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by ttruscott »

marco wrote:
Well I don't endorse the prison planet theory. Tell the creature being torn apart that this is a pleasant place.
Since when does anyone claim a Prison is a pleasant place? FOR a Prison this place is not too bad...it is not Venus or Mercury after all.
marco wrote: If God's wheels turn so ponderously to achieve things, then he's third rate. Surely if we are to construct theories around God, then they should at the very least compliment the deity.
It is not explained why the time is long for us, people in general...but I suspect it is a combination of the frailty (HE can only push us so fast) and also the stubbornness of the sinful elect against choosing holiness to come into accord with HIS call for the judgment.

Shall I speak to GOD why HE doesn't make it shorter for you?
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.