Is God a killer?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Is God a killer?

Post #1

Post by marco »

If creation reflects, in some way, the great mind of God, then what can we say of the spider gifted with a talent to paralyse prey or the tiger endowed with killer force or the herbivore hippo that kills in fits of irritation or the venomous snake whose kiss is fatal?

What mind conceived such dark horrors? Where was the pity for the billion daily victims in the world he has made for his amusement? Surely there is displayed more horror, more brutality than love when even a simple plant can close its jaws on life and render it null.

So should we deduce God is more killer than kind?

Savant

Re: Is God a killer?

Post #21

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: … The artists is judged by what he has produced.
Yeah, but if con artist ruins the piece of art, it is not the artists product anymore and artist should not be blamed for something that he has not done. If we can blame person who is not guilty, then we could as well blame you, if there is no justice.
marco wrote:I don't understand how things have materially changed since God first ordered a package of tigers, weasels and sharks. Did Adam make them?
I hope you some day understand.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #22

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

please lets keep the moral questions for humans. not rampaging hippos, spiders snakes and tigers, oh my. Life is a holocaust , let's become vegetarians.

Tcg
Savant

Post #23

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
Tcg wrote: You're simply arguing that God is a killer based on incompetence, his inability to maintain the good you claim he created. Whether God is a killer based on his ineptitude, or his direct intention, he is a killer.
I think only those who kill, can be called killers, not those who may have made it possible. Or what do you think, should gun manufacturers be held guilty for all murders that are done by their guns?

God is both the gun manufacturer and the trigger puller.

But have I understood correctly, you think killing animals and plants is wrong?

What led you to this conclusion?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #24

Post by William »

[Replying to post 21 by 1213]
Yeah, but if con artist ruins the piece of art, it is not the artists product anymore and artist should not be blamed for something that he has not done.
In the case of your particular theology, who is this con-artist, where did the con artist come from, and why was the artist not able to protect the artwork from the con artist?
I hope you some day understand.
Understand what exactly?

Tcg
Savant

Post #25

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
marco wrote: … The artists is judged by what he has produced.
Yeah, but if con artist ruins the piece of art, it is not the artists product anymore and artist should not be blamed for something that he has not done.

If we take Genesis seriously, God is the artist and the one who ruined his own art. He is the one who cursed his own creation. Not the serpent. Not Adam. Not Eve.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #26

Post by William »

[Replying to post 20 by 1213]
I think only those who kill, can be called killers,
Where do you think the GOD got the skin he used to cloth A&E with, to cover their nakedness?

Is one not a killer if one orders the killing to be done?

Savant

Post #27

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: God is both the gun manufacturer and the trigger puller.
Please explain, how is God “trigger puller�?

Savant

Post #28

Post by 1213 »

William wrote: ...why was the artist not able to protect the artwork from the con artist?
Sorry, I don’t see any reason to believe God was not able to protect. God allowed this lesson, because people wanted to know evil.

Savant

Post #29

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: ...God is the artist and the one who ruined his own art. He is the one who cursed his own creation. Not the serpent. Not Adam. Not Eve.
Sorry, I have no reason to think God ruined anything. But it is interesting thing, if you think you are ruined piece of art.

William
Savant

Post #30

Post by William »

[Replying to post 28 by 1213]
Sorry, I don’t see any reason to believe God was not able to protect. God allowed this lesson, because people wanted to know evil.
I will repeat my Q to you 1213.

Q: In the case of your particular theology, who is this con-artist, where did the con artist come from, and why was the artist not able to protect the artwork from the con artist?

That you don't see any reason to believe anything other than what you believe, is meaningless to the reader whom you do not inform, as to what your beliefs actually are and why you believe them.

Simply writing a dismissive sentence isn't at all conducive to debate, and this is a debate setting.

If your beliefs are nonnegotiable, then disregard my request for more information about them, and please think about refraining from proselytizing said nonnegotiable beliefs in a debate setting as, among other things, it wastes time and energy and goes nowhere for that.

Thanks