Is God a killer?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Is God a killer?

Post #1

Post by marco »

If creation reflects, in some way, the great mind of God, then what can we say of the spider gifted with a talent to paralyse prey or the tiger endowed with killer force or the herbivore hippo that kills in fits of irritation or the venomous snake whose kiss is fatal?

What mind conceived such dark horrors? Where was the pity for the billion daily victims in the world he has made for his amusement? Surely there is displayed more horror, more brutality than love when even a simple plant can close its jaws on life and render it null.

So should we deduce God is more killer than kind?

marco
Savant

Re: Is God a killer?

Post #51

Post by marco »

ttruscott wrote:
Your continued skill at re-framing Christian beliefs as a strawman pejorative is noted....

If I endorse a theory about sinners and punishment for crimes unknown to us, I can happily see God as a "just" executioner. The whole scenario of billions born to be killed for some pre-natal apostasy is - for me - a complete absurdity. If it answers questions for some, good and well, but I cannot see how the absurdity is removed by reason. I once believed that it was wrong to bite Jesus of a Sunday morning; it would be odd to abandon this tale and accept a stranger one.

I am looking at Yahweh through the eyes of his biblical biographers.