Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Was Jesus a homosexual?

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

I'd like to make clear from the outset that I have nothing against gays, lesbians, bisexuals, or transsexuals. So please don't construe anything I argue as hateful in any way against people of alternate sexuality.

I'm also going to assume for the purposes of this discussion that Jesus existed.

Question for Debate: Was Jesus a homosexual?

I think this question is important because if we read the gospel tale, there is no mention of Jesus ever marrying or showing romantic or sexual interest in any woman. He spent almost all his time with men including "the apostle that Jesus loved." When he was arrested a naked man fled the scene. These odd details might be clues that Jesus had sexual interest in other men and may have had no such interest in women.

RightReason
Under Probation

Re: Was Jesus a homosexual?

Post #41

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to Jagella]
It seems to me that to deny a man's sexuality is sad and shallow, but that's just my own opinion, of course.

Who’s denying Christ’s sexuality? I point bank said if He was true man, then He would have likely had a male penis and sexual inclinations. You seem to think “being a man� means engaging in sexual intercourse.

that there is no evidence that Jesus engaged in a "sex act," but that doesn't mean he was asexual.

Asexual? When did I say that? Not engaging in sexual intercourse does not mean a person is asexual. Again, sounds like something an immature middle school kid might say.

I’m celibate, but I'm very sexual.

What does sexual mean to you? You have sexual feelings? If so, I have already said Jesus likely had sexual feelings. If you mean, you satisfy or indulge those sexual feelings, then no, there is no reason to think Jesus did such things, just because you do/did or somehow think that’s what makes someone sexual.

So to point out that there is no evidence that Jesus engaged in sex, does not argue well against the probability that he was a homosexual.

I think you are getting your reasoning mixed up with mine. I never said anything even remotely close to since Jesus didn’t have sex, He was probably gay. That’s ridiculous. And again such an immature understanding of sex/love/man.

In fact I think it may increase the probability that he was gay because many gays do not have sex because they cannot find partners.

So, now we are arguing from silence. LOL. And I think it would be extremely difficult to argue in our culture today that gays don’t have sex because they can’t find partners. It is a statistical fact that gay men report a greater number of sexual partners than heterosexuals. Look it up. Keep talking – it demonstrates you don’t know what you are talking about.

I should also point out that if Jesus did have sex, straight or gay, his followers could have covered it up.

Mere speculation and since there is actual evidence David Koresh and some Catholic priests molested boys and no evidence Jesus Christ did so, your speculation is ungrounded and appears to be merely based on anti-religious bigotry and hatred.

It’s fascinating you find such a possibility difficult to believe or imagine.

Well then you should be also "fascinated" by your inability to believe or imagine that Jesus was gay.

That doesn’t follow. There is no reason/evidence to believe Jesus was gay. However, there is great reason/evidence to believe sexual conquests is not equivalent to manhood, which was why I was pointing out your argument is so problematic.

I have the advantage of being a free thinker and have the liberty to consider all possibilities. My thinking is not limited to what Christianity tells me.

Uuummm . . . so where is the historical evidence to support your claim. Even free thinkers don’t just get to make sh*t up.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I do not consider homosexuals to be perverts. So if Jesus was a homosexual, I would accept him as such while you would denounce him as a pervert.

I never called someone with same sex attraction a pervert. Nice try. I was actually referring to your perverted view on sexuality – again that you somehow think since Christians believe Jesus never had sex that that is denying Jesus’ manhood. That is what I would call a perverted understanding of authentic sexuality.

And no, if Jesus were homosexual, I would not denounce Him as a pervert. But if He engaged in homosexual acts His actions would be a perversion of the natural moral order. Homosexual acts are disordered. Through simple observation we can recognize the body is designed a certain way and design/order/shape tells us about something’s function/purpose.

Quote:
...Jesus was true God and true man. True man, according to all Christian teachings, would be a male properly ordered with heterosexual attraction.

What woman was Jesus ever sexually attracted to?

If one believes Jesus was true man, we would/should believe He likely went to the bathroom, caught a cold, etc and yet we are never told in Scripture that Jesus relieved Himself or caught a cold. We are extrapolating these likelihoods based on what it means to be human. It’s called science/reason/logic – try it some time. I’m not sure we were told Jesus had two ears and two eyes, but since we are told Jesus was a man, I think it fair to make such assumptions.

My male friends don't lie on my lap like Jesus "beloved disciple" did! (John 13:23)

Wow! You’ve never had a male friend sit next to you?

John 13:23
23 One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to him.

Quote:
To think the term love means erotic is equivalent to a 5th grader laughing when the teacher explaining the planets says, “Uranus�. Love is agape and has nothing to do with sex unless you have the understanding of Beavis and Butthead.

You fail to see the ambiguity in language. "Love" in Greek as well as in English is subject to more than one meaning. I know, I study Greek:

Ὁ ἀναμά�τητος ὑμῶν π�ῶτος τὸν λίθον βαλέτω.

I fail to see the ambiguity in language? Pot meet kettle. Erotic love is one very narrow view of love, so to reduce every mention of love to the erotic kind is to show a shallow understanding of the Greek language.

Quote:
God help us all.

I appears he may need to help his son avoid gay bashers.

Yep, lovely straw man and attempt to hope shouting ‘homophobe’ will shut down conversation since you clearly have nothing of substance to add to the conversation.

Never did I bash gays – nor would I. Your comments are way out of line, but again what we seem to get from “free thinkers�.

Wootah
Savant

Post #42

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 41 by RightReason]

Let's not swear.

Moderator Comment

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #43

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 42 by Wootah]

Went back to edit and it wouldn't let me. Feel free to change word to garbage, junk, crap, etc. whichever you think is most appropriate while maintaining my intended meaning.

Wootah
Savant

Post #44

Post by Wootah »

RightReason wrote: [Replying to post 42 by Wootah]

Went back to edit and it wouldn't let me. Feel free to change word to garbage, junk, crap, etc. whichever you think is most appropriate while maintaining my intended meaning.
That's OK. A comment was given because you are on probation. Also your post here is a good indication you are sorry. Just don't let yourself down.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

dio9
Under Probation

Post #45

Post by dio9 »

dio9 wrote: The idea that Jesus was homosexual is a hoax presented in 1958 by Morton Smith to the society of biblical literature , check it out on wicki.
If it helps LGBT people find salvation believing Jesus was gay that would be a good belief to have. But in my reading the Gospel I don't find anything suggesting Jesus' sexuality, other than Jesus loved all people as a son of God should.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #46

Post by polonius »

Archive Notes

While looking for ancient documents in the Mar Saba monastery library in the Judean Desert, scholar Morton Smith made a discovery that rocked the academic world: Copied onto the end-pages of a 17th-century book was a previously unknown letter from Clement of Alexandria, a second-century church father, which contained passages of a lost “secret� gospel of Mark. Over fifty years after this remarkable revelation, the debate over the authenticity of the document continues. But what did the letter say?

Remember in the Gospel of Mark the young man who when Jesus was arrested ran off naked?

"And they come into Bethany. And a certain woman whose brother had died was there. And, coming, she prostrated herself before Jesus and says to him, "son of David, have mercy on me". But the disciples rebuked her. And Jesus, being angered , went off with her into the garden where the tomb was, and straightway, going in where the youth was, he stretched forth his hand and raised him, seizing his hand. But the youth, looking upon him, loved him and began to beseech him that he might be with him. And going out of the tomb they came into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days Jesus told him what to do and in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God. And thence, arising, he returned to the other side of the Jordan."

How come we find the first description of this young man in the authentic gospel of Mark?

dio9
Under Probation

Post #47

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to polonius]

The Gospel of Mark says the youth was a follower of Jesus , Maybe the youth was gay , who knows . Anyway the youth did not eat with Jesus at the last supper . It is odd that he shows up in the Gospel.But He was only naked because the crowd ripped his cloths off. My guess is the youth was an angel like the young men in shining garments at the tomb Easter morning who met the women . They were possibly naked under their garments too.

Lk 24:4
"And it came to pass, as they
were much perplexed
thereabout, behold, two men
stood by them in shining
garments:"

Mt 28:3
"His countenance was like
lightning, and his raiment
white as snow:"

There is also speculation the beloved disciple was Magdalene. The Davinci Code suggests Mary Magdalene is Jesus' wife and bore Jesus' child and is the holy grail carrying Jesus' blood.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #48

Post by polonius »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to polonius]
The Gospel of Mark says the youth was a follower of Jesus , Maybe the youth was gay , who knows . Anyway the youth did not eat with Jesus at the last supper . It is odd that he shows up in the Gospel.But He was only naked because the crowd ripped his cloths off. My guess is the youth was an angel like the young men in shining garments at the tomb Easter morning who met the women . They were possibly naked under their garments too.
RESPONSE: Nice try. What "crowd" and where does it say they tore his clothes off rather than he was just seeking Jesus while only wearing a linen sheet?

Also,

The Secret Gospel of Mark

5. And after six days Jesus told him what to do and in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for | Jesus taught him the mystery of the kingdom of God.

Are you going to try and tell us Jesus tore the young man's clothes off too? :-s

Nice try!

polonius
Prodigy

Post #49

Post by polonius »

polonius wrote:
RESPONSE: Nice try. What "crowd" and where does it say they tore his clothes off rather than he was just seeking Jesus while only wearing a linen sheet?

Also,

5. And after six days Jesus told him what to do and in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for | Jesus taught him the mystery of the kingdom of God.

Are you going to try and tell us Jesus tore the young man's clothes off too? :-s

Lets face reality instead!

polonius
Prodigy

Let's stay reality oriented!

Post #50

Post by polonius »

polonius wrote:
polonius wrote:

Also,

Lets face reality instead!