How can any Muslim be a Democrat?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

How can any Muslim be a Democrat?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

How can any Muslim in the USA be a Democrat, or vote Democrat in any significant election?

After all, Islam opposes same sex marriage and abortion. The Democrat party advocates and celebrates homosexual marriage and abortion pretty much on demand, including late term abortion.

How can one be a Muslim and a Democrat at the same time? (Rep Ilhan Omar comes to mind)
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Re: How can any Muslim be a Democrat?

Post #2

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Elijah John:
"How can any Muslim in the USA be a Democrat, or vote Democrat in any significant election?

After all, Islam opposes same sex marriage and abortion. The Democrat party advocates and celebrates homosexual marriage and abortion pretty much on demand, including late term abortion.

How can one be a Muslim and a Democrat at the same time? (Rep Ilhan Omar comes to mind).
"

A lot of Muslims may just be single issue voters. They vote for whichever party advocates for the one issue they care about most and ignore the rest of the party platform. It may be tricky trying to decipher what that one issue is but in general Dems. tend to be more tolerant and friendly to minority groups (that's the perception at least).

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Elijah John wrote: How can any Muslim in the USA be a Democrat, or vote Democrat in any significant election?

After all, Islam opposes same sex marriage and abortion...
Hmmm. One's religious position on homosexuality is not the only expression possible of one's identity. Social class (eg, one's degree of wealth), ethnicity and gender are also significant drivers in the identity agenda on who people vote for, but there are others, such as disability, 'race' and sexuality.

What pleases me most, however, is when people step outside their own parochial concerns and vote according to what is good for their nation, and good for the world.

Whatever, it is certain that who we vote for is not necessarily the simple binary ('them' or 'us') choice many running for power would like us all to believe it to be.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

Elijah John wrote: The Democrat party advocates and celebrates homosexual marriage and abortion pretty much on demand, including late term abortion.
This is absolutely false.

Democrats support individual freedom. They don't necessarily advocate the things that people might choose to do.

The problem with so many people is that they can't seem to make a distinction between laws and their own personal moral beliefs and values.

For example, if you believe that Yahweh is God, then how could you possibly advocate "Freedom of Religion" to allow other people to believe in, or worship other Gods?

Clearly there has to be a distinction between laws and morality.

You can't be putting your moral values into law.

In fact, based on what you have suggested about democrats it appears that you are implying that Republicans don't know the difference between personal moral values and law.

Law should NEVER be made to enforce someone's moral opinions.

If you go down that road you could end up having people force their moral values onto you via the law.

Democrats are for FREEDOM. Period.

Republicans are for forcing their moral values onto everyone else via laws.

And that will come to a head.

In fact, we see it coming to a head as we speak. If the Christian Right had their way Islam would be outlawed. And perhaps after that has been accomplished they will make it illegal to be Jewish as well since Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Son of God.

When does it stop? When does it no longer make sense to try to force beliefs and personal moral values onto others by law?

And by the way, what's wrong with homosexual marriage? :-k

I think you've given your bias away here.

You should have stopped with just abortion.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Elijah John
Savant

Post #5

Post by Elijah John »

Divine Insight wrote:
For example, if you believe that Yahweh is God, then how could you possibly advocate "Freedom of Religion" to allow other people to believe in, or worship other Gods?
Very easy. I believe YHVH is God, but that is up to Him and His disciples to persuade, not to coerce. As Muslims even say, "there shall be no compulsion in religion". Notwithstanding the failure of some believers to put that maxim into practice.
Divine Insight wrote: Clearly there has to be a distinction between laws and morality.

You can't be putting your moral values into law.
Not necessarily, and not in every case. "Thou shalt not murder" is one of my religious values, that has served secular society well though the ages. There is overlap, you know.
Divine Insight wrote: In fact, based on what you have suggested about democrats it appears that you are implying that Republicans don't know the difference between personal moral values and law.
Never even suggested that. You are way overgeneralizing.
Divine Insight wrote: Law should NEVER be made to enforce someone's moral opinions.

If you go down that road you could end up having people force their moral values onto you via the law
You mean like the state forcing bakers to bake a homosexual themed wedding cake?.
Divine Insight wrote: Democrats are for FREEDOM. Period.
HA, that's a laugh. Like the freedom of pro-life Democrat Bob Casey to speak at the DNC a few election cycles ago? (He wasn't even allowed to speak, because of his "anti-choice" views, by the way.) THAT kind of freedom?

Also, consider this, the Left's advocacy of freedom of speech in action:

Where is Democrat condemnation for this kind of thing, if they stand for freedom?

The Left, at it's worst, limits the freedom of speech to only the speech they agree with. People they disagree with they consider engaging in "hate speech" and that must be drowned out and prevented, according to these young advocates for freedom.

And back to the OP, do you think Muslims are quick to call people who insist on biological reality "transphobic"? I doubt it. Try this kind of "protest" in Yemen, see what happens.

DI said:
Republicans are for forcing their moral values onto everyone else via laws

Examples please. Also, and Democrats are not? .

DI said:
And that will come to a head.

In fact, we see it coming to a head as we speak.
How so, evidence and examples please.
If the Christian Right had their way Islam would be outlawed. And perhaps after that has been accomplished they will make it illegal to be Jewish as well since Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Son of God.

When does it stop? When does it no longer make sense to try to force beliefs and personal moral values onto others by law?
More unfounded allegations. Just your opinion, as far as I can see.

DI said:
And by the way, what's wrong with homosexual marriage? :-k

I think you've given your bias away here.

You should have stopped with just abortion.
What bias is that? And you have none, yourself?

And to answer your question about gay marriage (homosexual activity) it's unnatural for one thing. And wrong according to the Bible, for another. Also, there may be nothing wrong with it in the eyes of the Deity. I will grant you that for the sake of argument. But it's advocates are going against thousands of years of human, cultural tradition. And they expect acceptance overnight? And for traditionalists to all of a sudden consider it normal, because they scream in our faces for instant acceptance of their agenda? The advocates of homosexual marriage and the whole LBGTQIA+ agenda would do far better if they tried persuasion instead of intimidation and name calling. That is, of course if they want to win hearts and minds to support their cause.

Reason would likely be more effective. Name calling persuades no one. It just demonstrates what insufferable zealots the name-callers are.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

Elijah John wrote: You mean like the state forcing bakers to bake a homosexual themed wedding cake?.
That has nothing at all to do with morality. It's simply a common sense business law.

If you're going to into public business, then you need to serve the public.

Using religion as an excuse for public bigotry should never be tolerated. Not by society, not by government, and not even by religions. But religion are highly hypocritical in this regard. They are extremely bigoted and even use their religions to support their bigotry.

It used to be they used religion to claim that black people aren't even human. Now that they can't do that anymore they try to use their religion to discriminate against other people's choice of lifestyle.

When does the religious bigotry stop?

Apparently never. To the contrary, it seems to just be getting worse all the time.

After all, if Christians can use Christianity to be bigoted against gays, then surely they can also use Christianity to be bigoted against Jews and Muslims.

Same thing holds true for Jews and Muslims. If they can use their religions to be bigoted against those who don't believe like they do, then what's stopping them from condemning Christians as being heathens?

The Abrahamic religions have been using their religions to hate on people long enough. It's time we put them to rest. They even kill each other in the name of their religions. Just look at the rise in attacks on Christian, Jewish, and Muslim churches. They hate each other's guts. All in the name of "morality".

So much for their morality.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]