Was Jesus a Conservative or a Liberal?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Divine Insight
Savant

Was Jesus a Conservative or a Liberal?

Post #1

Post by Divine Insight »

Pope Francis believes that he is carrying out the teachings of Jesus.

I agree with Pope Francis. Jesus was an extreme Liberal.

Jesus let the woman accused of adultery go and refused to stone her to death.

Jesus preached that we should love our enemies.

Jesus preached that we should give the thief our coat as well and let him go.

Jesus preached that a good Samaritan is closer to God that a hypocritical believer.

Jesus preached to give to the poor and help the needy.

Pope Francis appears to be in perfect harmony with the teachings of Jesus.

But there are Conservatives who hate Pope Francis and want to excommunicate him from the Church.

[youtube][/youtube]

Who do you see as being more in harmony with Jesus?

Pope Francis or Steve Bannon?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Re: Was Jesus a Conservative or a Liberal?

Post #2

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 1 by Divine Insight]

liberal: lib-er-al

open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.

According to the above definition Jesus was a liberal.

The same could be said about America's founding fathers, who discarded British moors and changed the colonists' view point about their mother country (with the exception of the loyalist Tories who were America's first conservatives).
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

I think you must regard conservatives as compassionless?

Anyway after man sinned God put in action his plan to conserve us.

Check?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

Wootah wrote: I think you must regard conservatives as compassionless?

Anyway after man sinned God put in action his plan to conserve us.

Check?
I'm not sure what you are responding to. The question of the thread is who's views do you think are more like Jesus. Pope Francis or Steve Bannon?

And if you think Pope Francis is a "liberal" then how can you not see Jesus as being a liberal as well?

I don't think Jesus is anything at all like the modern day conservatives. The modern day conservatives seem to be far more like the Jewish Pharisees, and we all know what Jesus had to say about them.
[center]Image
[/center]

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

Divine Insight wrote: Pope Francis believes that he is carrying out the teachings of Jesus.

I agree with Pope Francis. Jesus was an extreme Liberal.
I think Jesus was a conservative. He wanted to restore the old rule, love your neighbor as yourself. He brought back the same Spirit that is in these:

"Thus has Yahweh of Hosts spoken, saying, 'Execute true judgment, and show kindness and compassion every man to his brother.
Zechariah 7:9
I charged your judges at that time, saying, Hear the causes between your brothers, and judge righteously between a man and his brother, and the foreigner who is living with him. You shall not show partiality in judgment; you shall hear the small and the great alike; you shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment is God's: and the cause that is too hard for you, you shall bring to me, and I will hear it.
Deuteronomy 1:16-17
"You shall not spread a false report. Don't join your hand with the wicked to be a malicious witness. You shall not follow a crowd to do evil; neither shall you testify in court to side with a multitude to pervert justice; neither shall you favor a poor man in his cause.
Exodus 23:1-3
At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he who is to die be put to death; at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.
Deuteronomy 17:6

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

1213 wrote: I think Jesus was a conservative. He wanted to restore the old rule, love your neighbor as yourself. He brought back the same Spirit that is in these:

So do you support Steve Bannon's position over the position of Pope Francis?

All I see coming from Christians is an absolute refusal to call out those who stand up in the name of anti-Christ positions in the name of Jesus and Christianity. I never see the Christians calling these people out. Instead they seem to support them.

Why is that?

I rejected Christianity for two reasons:

The first reason is that I recognized that Biblical Theology is utterly absurd and cannot possibly be true as it is written. In other words I reject the theology itself as being clearly nothing more than false man made dogma.

But a very valid second reason I want nothing to do with Christianity is because the people who follow this religion appear to be to be extremely anti-Christ anyway. And they refuse to call out those who are also anti-Christ preaching ignorance and evil in the name of Jesus.

So I reject both, the actual theology and many of those who follow it. I'm with Mahatma Gandhi on this one. "I like your Christ, but I don't care much for your Christians".

Why is it that Christians can't publicly reject someone like Steve Bannon and support someone like Pope Francis? :-k

When given an opportunity to do so publicly they refuse to do so. Instead they make all manner of excuses to refuse to address the question.

This certainly appears that they are secretly supporting the position of Steve Bannon and rejecting Pope Francis but for whatever reason are too afraid to state this outright.

Who's views and actions do you think are more Christ-like? Pope Francis or Steve Bannon?

It's a simple question, why refuse to address it directly?
[center]Image
[/center]

dio9
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 1 by Divine Insight]

Jesus was both conservative and liberal. His teaching was a liberal progressive interpretation of the conservative Law.His liberalism was based on conservativeism.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #8

Post by Divine Insight »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Divine Insight]

Jesus was both conservative and liberal. His teaching was a liberal progressive interpretation of the conservative Law.His liberalism was based on conservativeism.
Again, this seems to evade the question of the thread:

Who's views and actions do you think are more Christ-like? Pope Francis or Steve Bannon?

Why are people so afraid to address this question? :-k
[center]Image
[/center]

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

I hardly think Jesus is more likely to be like either of them.

Jesus will just forthright honest and unfortunately for his enemies come like a conqueror.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

dio9
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by dio9 »

Divine Insight wrote:
dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Divine Insight]

Again, this seems to evade the question of the thread:

Why are people so afraid to address this question? :-k
I vote for the pope. Resume wise at least only the pope has dedicated his life to following the way of Christ as his career choice.