Were all or any of these the "sons of God"?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Were all or any of these the "sons of God"?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

The title "son of God" is frequent in the Old Testament. The word "son" was employed among the Semites to signify not only filiation, but other close connexion or intimate relationship. Thus, "a son of strength" was a hero, a warrior, "son of wickedness" a wicked man, "sons of pride" wild beasts, "son of possession" a possessor, "son of pledging" a hostage, "son of lightning" a swift bird, "son of death" one doomed to death, "son of a bow" an arrow, "son of Belial" a wicked man, "sons of prophets" disciples of prophets etc. The title "son of God" was applied in the Old Testament to persons having any special relationship with God. Angels, just and pious men, the descendants of Seth, were called "sons of God" (Job 1:6; 2:1; Psalm 89:7; Wisdom 2:13; etc.). In a similar manner it was given to Israelites (Deuteronomy 14:50); and of Israel, as a nation, we read: "And thou shalt say to him: Thus saith the Lord: Israel is my son, my firstborn. I have said to thee: Let my son go, that he may serve me" (Exodus 4:22 sq.).

From the Catholic Encyclopedia.

QUESTION If a copyist changes one of the lower case "s" to an upper case "S" does that make the individual God?

polonius
Prodigy

Re: Were all or any of these the "sons of God"?

Post #2

Post by polonius »

polonius wrote: The title "son of God" is frequent in the Old Testament. The word "son" was employed among the Semites to signify not only filiation, but other close connexion or intimate relationship. Thus, "a son of strength" was a hero, a warrior, "son of wickedness" a wicked man, "sons of pride" wild beasts, "son of possession" a possessor, "son of pledging" a hostage, "son of lightning" a swift bird, "son of death" one doomed to death, "son of a bow" an arrow, "son of Belial" a wicked man, "sons of prophets" disciples of prophets etc. The title "son of God" was applied in the Old Testament to persons having any special relationship with God. Angels, just and pious men, the descendants of Seth, were called "sons of God" (Job 1:6; 2:1; Psalm 89:7; Wisdom 2:13; etc.). In a similar manner it was given to Israelites (Deuteronomy 14:50); and of Israel, as a nation, we read: "And thou shalt say to him: Thus saith the Lord: Israel is my son, my firstborn. I have said to thee: Let my son go, that he may serve me" (Exodus 4:22 sq.).

From the Catholic Encyclopedia.

QUESTION If a copyist changes one of the lower case "s" to an upper case "S" does that make the individual divine?

bjs
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by bjs »

polonius wrote: The title "son of God" is frequent in the Old Testament.
It is not.

“Sons of God� (plural) was applied to angles several times. If “sons of God� was applied to the descendants of Seth in Genesis (the text does not say that is who was being discussed), then it was the only time that specific phrase was applied to humans.

The concept of the sons of Israel (plural) as a whole being God’s son did exist in the Old Testament, such as in Exodus 4:22.

The specific title “son of God� is never applied to any individual, human or angelic, anywhere in the Old Testament.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Elijah John
Savant

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

polonius wrote:
QUESTION If a copyist changes one of the lower case "s" to an upper case "S" does that make the individual God?
No, it really seems that NT authors took a concept from the Hebrew Bible and literalized it. Or attempted to make the designation unique, when applied to Jesus. But such exclusivity goes well beyond the OT usage.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

marco
Savant

Post #5

Post by marco »

polonius wrote:

Capitalising confers status not divinity. A prince can build a palace but we must build a palace for the Prince. The idea of "son" of God is metaphoric, suggesting a close relationship between God and the being, human or angel. It is surprising we haven't extended this to brother of God, grandson of God or perhaps uncle of God. It is not surprising, given biblical hostility to women, that we don't have daughter of God. Or do we? Catholics have "Mother of God" ... with a capital.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by polonius »

bjs wrote: [quote="[url=http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?
The specific title “son of God� is never applied to any individual, human or angelic, anywhere in the Old Testament.
RESPONSE: Are you serious?:-s

The title "son of God" is frequent in the Old Testament. The word "son" was employed among the Semites to signify not only filiation, but other close connexion or intimate relationship. Thus, "a son of strength" was a hero, a warrior, "son of wickedness" a wicked man, "sons of pride" wild beasts, "son of possession" a possessor, "son of pledging" a hostage, "son of lightning" a swift bird, "son of death" one doomed to death, "son of a bow" an arrow, "son of Belial" a wicked man, "sons of prophets" disciples of prophets etc. The title "son of God" was applied in the Old Testament to persons having any special relationship with God. Angels, just and pious men, the descendants of Seth, were called "sons of God" (Job 1:6; 2:1; Psalm 89:7; Wisdom 2:13; etc.). In a similar manner it was given to Israelites (Deuteronomy 14:50); and of Israel, as a nation, we read: "And thou shalt say to him: Thus saith the Lord: Israel is my son, my firstborn. I have said to thee: Let my son go, that he may serve me" (Exodus 4:22 sq.).

polonius
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by polonius »

polonius wrote:
bjs wrote: [quote="[url=http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?
RESPONSE: Are you serious?:-s

The title "son of God" is frequent in the Old Testament. The word "son" was employed among the Semites to signify not only filiation, but other close connexion or intimate relationship. Thus, "a son of strength" was a hero, a warrior, "son of wickedness" a wicked man, "sons of pride" wild beasts, "son of possession" a possessor, "son of pledging" a hostage, "son of lightning" a swift bird, "son of death" one doomed to death, "son of a bow" an arrow, "son of Belial" a wicked man, "sons of prophets" disciples of prophets etc.

The title "son of God" was applied in the Old Testament to persons having any special relationship with God. Angels, just and pious men, the descendants of Seth, were called "sons of God" (Job 1:6; 2:1; Psalm 89:7; Wisdom 2:13; etc.). In a similar manner it was given to Israelites (Deuteronomy 14:50); and of Israel, as a nation, we read: "And thou shalt say to him: Thus saith the Lord: Israel is my son, my firstborn. I have said to thee: Let my son go, that he may serve me" (Exodus 4:22 sq.).

OBSERVATION: Perhaps you would want to read the Bible?
;)

bjs
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by bjs »

polonius wrote: RESPONSE: Are you serious?:-s
I am.
polonius wrote: OBSERVATION: Perhaps you would want to read the Bible?
;)
I have.

Please read my post. Then quote any example from the Old Testament where title “son of God� (singular) is applied to an individual in the Old Testament.

None of the passage you have cited do so.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

polonius
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by polonius »

bjs wrote:
I am.
;)
I have.

Please read my post. Then quote any example from the Old Testament where title “son of God� (singular) is applied to an individual in the Old Testament.

RESPONSE: OK

Exodus 4:22" Israel is my son my first born let my son go so he can serve me"

Psalms 2:7
I will tell of the decree: The LORD said to me, “You are my Son; today I have begotten you.

Hosea 11:1
When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and out of Egypt I called My son.

Question: But why can't God have more than one son?

polonius
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by polonius »

polonius wrote:
bjs wrote:
I am.
;)
I have.

RESPONSE: OK

Exodus 4:22" Israel is my son my first born let my son go so he can serve me"

Psalms 2:7
I will tell of the decree: The LORD said to me, “You are my Son; today I have begotten you.

Hosea 11:1
When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and out of Egypt I called My son.

Question: But why can't God have more than one son?
Note: KJV

And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.