New Covenant

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

tryme
Student

New Covenant

Post #1

Post by tryme »

This question comes from a reading of Jeremiah 31 , specifically verse 34 that says

‘They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,�

I was always taught that this was speaking of the new covenant especially the quote I will write my laws on their heart� but this all sounds to me a lot like the millennial kingdom in that No one has to even be taught any religion, and everyone is just born believes and knows. What do you think?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #221

Post by Checkpoint »

PinSeeker wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
PinSeeker wrote: The millennium of Revelation 20 is not a future event. It was when Jeremiah prophesied, obviously, but is not anymore. Or, to be more exacting, it's no longer merely a future event.
Then why do so many believers think of it as yet future only?
For at least two reasons, I think:

1. A basic misunderstanding of Revelation as a whole, and the Millennium of chapter 20 included.

2. Many believers (primarily western believers) have bought into the heresy of the "rapture," which came about in the early 19th century. It's not that they are heretics, it's just that that's all they've ever been exposed to.

However, having said that, there is a much deeper reason, and that may be what you're getting at. And it's closely related to -- if not exactly the same as -- the answer to the question you posed to me earlier ("Why, do you think, will it not be resolved?" [Post 200])
Interesting analysis; thanks.

One worthy of a separate thread.

I will therefore be using it to start one.

Coming up soon!

Avoice
Guru

Post #222

Post by Avoice »

The new covenant has not happened. Christians are not under the new covenant prophecied by Jeremiah. How do we know this?

Because when the new testament comes something will happen. It says at the time of the new covenant
THEY SHALL NO MORE TEACH PEOPLE TO KNOW THE LORD FOR THEY WILL ALL KNOW HIM. Who will know? ALL PEOPLE. From the least to the greatest.
Has that happened? No. Missionaries are still out preaching Jesus.

It has not happened..the new covenant is yet to come. And the covenant is the same. Obey God.. keep his laws and statutes abd ordinances. According to the church all that i has been done away with once Jesus arrived. If Christians are under the new covenant they arent holding up their end.
And the Christian Testament says Jesus will profit them nothing if they are obedient to the law. So if Christians try living under the new covenant then jesus can save them.

So ....now what

Avoice
Guru

Post #223

Post by Avoice »

I meant to end my above message with:
Jesus CAN'T save them if they choose to be under the new covenant. According to the church anyway

onewithhim
Savant

Re: New Covenant

Post #224

Post by onewithhim »

tryme wrote: This question comes from a reading of Jeremiah 31 , specifically verse 34 that says

‘They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,�

I was always taught that this was speaking of the new covenant especially the quote I will write my laws on their heart� but this all sounds to me a lot like the millennial kingdom in that No one has to even be taught any religion, and everyone is just born believes and knows. What do you think?
Jesus instituted the New Covenant with his Apostles on the night of his last Passover. (Luke 22:19,20,28-30) The old covenant, with the Mosaic Law, was to be fulfilled by Jesus and become obsolete (Colossians 2:14; Hebrews 8:13).

So true Christians would have Jehovah's laws on their hearts even now. But it is certainly true that ALL humans will come to know God in the Millennial Kingdom, when everyone---those who survive Armageddon and those who will be resurrected---will be worshippers of Jehovah. The ones who never heard the truth about Jesus and Jehovah will be taught, so they can learn that truth and decide if Jehovah is the One they want to serve forever. They will be taught a "religion," the only true religion, which involves Jesus and his Father, Jehovah, as revealed in the Bible. People born during the Thousand Year Reign will be taught also. No one just automatically knows things.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #225

Post by onewithhim »

PinSeeker wrote: The millennium of Revelation 20 is not a future event. It was when Jeremiah prophesied, obviously, but is not anymore. Or, to be more exacting, it's no longer merely a future event.
Really? I haven't noticed that Satan has been destroyed, never mind put in the abyss for a thousand years (Revelation 20:2,3,10), nor have I noticed that sorrow, pain and death have been obliterated (Rev.21:4). Have you??

Avoice
Guru

Yes. Absolutely we are waiting.

Post #226

Post by Avoice »

Scripture tells us what the new covenant is about. It is what God has always commanded us to do. Keep his laws, statutes, ordinances and judgements. Nothing new. This alone tells us that Jesus didn't replace the law.

The scriptures also tell us what the world will be like when the new covenant is in place. At that tine NO ONE WILL TEACH HIS NEIGHBOR SAYING KNOW THE LORD. Why? It says why. Fir they will ALL know me. From the least to the greatest. Has that happened? No. Missionaries are out there trying to convince people that Jesus is the way. He isn't. But thats another debate.

Are Christians under the new covenant?
No. They can't be.
Has the old covenant waxed away as the Christian testament claims?
No. Its an eternal covenant. God said so. Why dont Christians believe Him.

Christians may say they believe in God. But they dont believe Him. Big difference

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: Yes. Absolutely we are waiting.

Post #227

Post by Checkpoint »

Avoice wrote: Scripture tells us what the new covenant is about. It is what God has always commanded us to do. Keep his laws, statutes, ordinances and judgements. Nothing new. This alone tells us that Jesus didn't replace the law.

The scriptures also tell us what the world will be like when the new covenant is in place. At that tine NO ONE WILL TEACH HIS NEIGHBOR SAYING KNOW THE LORD. Why? It says why. Fir they will ALL know me. From the least to the greatest. Has that happened? No. Missionaries are out there trying to convince people that Jesus is the way. He isn't. But thats another debate.

Are Christians under the new covenant?
No. They can't be.

Christians may say they believe in God. But they dont believe Him. Big difference
If the Old Covenant is eternal, why did God have any need for a New Covenant?

Grace and peace.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #228

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 225 by Checkpoint]

And why did Jesus say that he came to FULFILL the Law? Why did his Apostles teach this---that he fulfilled it and the Law was replaced by something better?

Matthew 5:17

Colossians 2:13,14

Hebrews 8:6-13

(It would be helpful also to read the 9th and 10th chapters of Hebrews.)

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #229

Post by brianbbs67 »

Avoice wrote: Scripture tells us what the new covenant is about. It is what God has always commanded us to do. Keep his laws, statutes, ordinances and judgements. Nothing new. This alone tells us that Jesus didn't replace the law.

The scriptures also tell us what the world will be like when the new covenant is in place. At that tine NO ONE WILL TEACH HIS NEIGHBOR SAYING KNOW THE LORD. Why? It says why. Fir they will ALL know me. From the least to the greatest.

I agree the new covenant is the same as the old. Christ called Israel back into covenant. Christ taught the law and obeyed it. He asks his followers to do the same. This was a Jewish movement started by Jesus(Yeshua). The disciples, even Paul, claimed to teach only moses and the prophets.

Peter defended Paul and had this to say, "Thereofore, beloved, since you are waiting for these(new earth and Heaven), be diligent to be founf by him without spot or blemish, and at peace. 15 And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you acccording to the wisdom given him,16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction , as they do other Scriptures.17 You, therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people and lose your own stability. " 2 Peter 3 ESV bible.

Avoice
Guru

Post #230

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to post 225 by Checkpoint]

Its not new. The covenant hasnt changed: follow the law. Same as he commanded at Sinai. Only it wont be debatable anymore. When the new covenant is in force everyone will know that the laws were never abolished.because everyone will know God. No one will be out preaching anymore Has that happened? Only when the laws are written on the hearts of those whose heart they were not in all along.

Here we get to choose to follow Gods laws. Time will come when we no longer have a choice. Do it voluntarily if you want God to smile