Does God's love and mercy transcend theology?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Does God's love and mercy transcend theology?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Is God bigger than any given theology? Does His love and mercy transcend theological claims of exclusivity, such as found in Fundamentalist Islam or Fundamentalist Christianity?

Does God's love and mercy go well beyond even John 3.16 or John 14.6?

Does God judge people on getting their theology "right", believing the right things about Jesus, for example?

Or is God more concerned about the loving-kindness in our hearts and how we treat our fellow human beings?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Does God's love and mercy transcend theology?

Post #51

Post by Elijah John »

Tcg wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Put yourself in the pace of an apostle hearing Jesus say this, sounds fairly cryptic and mysterious doesn't it?

Maybe if they were Buddhists. Given that they were Jews who celebrated the Passover on a regular basis, there would be no mystery involved.

Tcg
Jews didn't practice, nor did they celebrate human sacrifice. And notice the disciples didn't say, "Oh good, finally our sins can be forgiven. Finally our sins can be paid for. Finally the perfect ransom sacrifice for our sins".
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #52

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Elijah John wrote: Is God bigger than any given theology? Does His love and mercy transcend theological claims of exclusivity, such as found in Fundamentalist Islam or Fundamentalist Christianity?
Yes.
Elijah John wrote: Does God's love and mercy go well beyond even John 3.16 or John 14.6?
Yes.
Elijah John wrote:Does God judge people on getting their theology "right", believing the right things about Jesus, for example?
No.
Elijah John wrote:Or is God more concerned about the loving-kindness in our hearts and how we treat our fellow human beings?
Yes.

Jesus said that there are two great commandments: to 'love God' and: to 'love each other'. 'All of the law, and all of the prophets, hang on these'*. I think, if we as individuals, and we as communities and societies, can only get those two right, we have nothing to fear of Judgment Day. And we all just might inhabit a better world.

Best wishes, 2RM.

*Matthew 22:40 KJV
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #53

Post by Checkpoint »

Elijah John wrote:
Tcg wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Put yourself in the pace of an apostle hearing Jesus say this, sounds fairly cryptic and mysterious doesn't it?

Maybe if they were Buddhists. Given that they were Jews who celebrated the Passover on a regular basis, there would be no mystery involved.

Tcg
Jews didn't practice, nor did they celebrate human sacrifice. And notice the disciples didn't say, "Oh good, finally our sins can be forgiven. Finally our sins can be paid for. Finally the perfect ransom sacrifice for our sins".
No, the Jews did not practice or celebrate human sacrifice, but they did practice animal sacrifice.

Those sacrifices were shadows of the reality God planned, and revealed in due time.

In the words of John the Baptist, "Behold the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world". John 1:29, 36.

Oh yes, the disciples did say and believe those things!
Acts 13:

38 “Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you.

39 Through him everyone who believes is set free from every sin, a justification you were not able to obtain under the law of Moses.

1 Peter 1:

17 Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear.

18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.
20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.

21 Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #54

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Checkpoint wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Tcg wrote:
Elijah John wrote:

Tcg
No, the Jews did not practice or celebrate human sacrifice, but they did practice animal sacrifice.

Those sacrifices were shadows of the reality God planned, and revealed in due time.

In the words of John the Baptist, "Behold the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world". John 1:29, 36.

Oh yes, the disciples did say and believe those things!
Acts 13:

38 “Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you.

39 Through him everyone who believes is set free from every sin, a justification you were not able to obtain under the law of Moses.

1 Peter 1:

17 Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear.

18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.
20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.

21 Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.
So, I'm inclined to think of Jesus' sacrifice as an example to follow, rather than as a completed work. If He could give up His life because He loved us, people past, present and future, can we not give up a mere portion of our lifestyles to rescue the absolutely poor, and put the planet on a sustainable economic footing? It would seem somewhat niggardly if we cannot, and choose theologies that make no such requirement of us.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #55

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 54 by 2ndRateMind]
S
So, I'm inclined to think of Jesus' sacrifice as an example to follow, rather than as a completed work. If He could give up His life because He loved us, people past, present and future, can we not give up a mere portion of our lifestyles to rescue the absolutely poor, and put the planet on a sustainable economic footing? It would seem somewhat niggardly if we cannot, and choose theologies that make no such requirement of
Good point, thank you.

It agrees with what Jesus teaches.
Matthew 25:

31 When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne.
32 All humanity will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.
33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,
36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?
38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?
39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’