Was Paul delusional and hear voices?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Was Paul delusional and hear voices?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

Paul Galatians chapter 1, 12 " I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.

Is any reader also having "revelations" like Paul did about 500 people seeing the risen Christ which even the Gospel writers don't report ( Paul didn't join the group until about three years later).

Tcg
Savant

Re: Was Paul delusional and hear voices?

Post #31

Post by Tcg »

polonius wrote:

RESPONSE: Are you saying that there is more than one God then? Or that there are other eternally existing things?

What I said was this:
  • "You've provided no reason to conclude that the eternally existing thing is the God of the Bible."
Until you provide some reason to conclude that the eternally existing thing is the God of the Bible, it will remain true.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

polonius
Prodigy

Post #32

Post by polonius »

Tcg wrote:
polonius wrote:

RESPONSE: Are you saying that there is more than one God then? Or that there are other eternally existing things?

What I said was this:
  • "You've provided no reason to conclude that the eternally existing thing is the God of the Bible."
Until you provide some reason to conclude that the eternally existing thing is the God of the Bible, it will remain true.

Tcg
RESPONSE: The answer is simple. God existed long before the "God of the Bible" was written for the Bible.

St. Thomas sheds light with his proof of the Uncaused Cause:
1. There must be at least one uncaused cause
2. The Uncaused Cause cannot cause itself

It follows, therefore, that God existed before the Bible was i"inspired" and written. Many of the world religions who have never heard of the Christian bible believed in a supreme being long before the Bible was written. :)

Tcg
Savant

Post #33

Post by Tcg »

polonius wrote:
Tcg wrote:
polonius wrote:

What I said was this:

Tcg
RESPONSE: The answer is simple. God existed long before the "God of the Bible" was written for the Bible.

St. Thomas sheds light with his proof of the Uncaused Cause:
1. There must be at least one uncaused cause
2. The Uncaused Cause cannot cause itself

It follows, therefore, that God existed before the Bible was i"inspired" and written. Many of the world religions who have never heard of the Christian bible believed in a supreme being long before the Bible was written. :)

All this provides is evidence of belief. This is not evidence that the God of the bible is the eternally existing thing.

Your quote from St. Thomas doesn't even attempt to provide evidence that the God of the Bible is the eternally existing thing. It is nothing more than two unsupported assertions strung together and neither of them refer to the God of the Bible.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

polonius
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by polonius »

Tcg posted:
All this provides is evidence of belief. This is not evidence that the God of the bible is the eternally existing thing.

Your quote from St. Thomas doesn't even attempt to provide evidence that the God of the Bible is the eternally existing thing. It is nothing more than two unsupported assertions strung together and neither of them refer to the God of the Bible.

RESPONSE: When did the "God of the Bible' come into existence? Answer: When the Bible was created? Question: When was he Bible created or first written?

St. Thomas based is work on Aristotle's writings. . None of Aristotle has an Biblical basis because it vastly predate the Bible.

The basis of the explanation is simple for most people to grasp. Unless God (the first cause) always existed, everything that exists came from nothing.

Tcg
Savant

Post #35

Post by Tcg »

polonius wrote:

Unless God (the first cause) always existed, everything that exists came from nothing.
Nope. There is no reason to conclude that anything came from nothing. So far, you've yet to provide any reason to conclude that everything came from the God of the Bible. In fact, it appears that you have ceased to even attempt to support that claim.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

polonius
Prodigy

Post #36

Post by polonius »

Tcg posted:
Nope. There is no reason to conclude that anything came from nothing. So far, you've yet to provide any reason to conclude that everything came from the God of the Bible. In fact, it appears that you have ceased to even attempt to support that claim.

RESPONSE: No. Some people reject logic in their need to "believe" anything.

Like attempting to claim that the Bible predated the creation of the universe.

And I don't really have to prove the obvious to support fundamentalism.

Two basic questions:

When did the Bible come into existence?

When did the universe come into existence?

See the contradiction?

Tcg
Savant

Post #37

Post by Tcg »

polonius wrote: Tcg posted:

RESPONSE: No. Some people reject logic in their need to "believe" anything.

Two basic questions:

See the contradiction?

That is three questions. Ignoring this basic math error, none of them address your claim.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

polonius
Prodigy

Rejecting common sense.

Post #38

Post by polonius »

Some people reject logic in their need to "believe" anything.

Two basic questions:

See the contradiction?

That is three questions. Ignoring this basic math error, none of them address your claim.
RESPONSE: Actually I think most readers realize your argument has been defeated.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Rejecting common sense.

Post #39

Post by Tcg »

polonius wrote:

RESPONSE: Actually I think most readers realize your argument has been defeated.

You are the one who has presented an argument. It is one that you have failed to support. The opinion of the readers, whatever that may be, doesn't change the fact that you have made a claim you have failed to support.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

polonius
Prodigy

Post #40

Post by polonius »

Tcg of New Jersey posted:

You are the one who has presented an argument. It is one that you have failed to support. The opinion of the readers, whatever that may be, doesn't change the fact that you have made a claim you have failed to support.
RESPONSE: I have clearly proven my point (unless one is a fundamentalist who just has to believe otherwise). The existence of God was proven many many years before the Bible was written. But there are those who's belief system will not permit them to accept the obvious.

Polonius from New Jersey also.