Might there be a new schism in the Catholic Church?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Might there be a new schism in the Catholic Church?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

It is generally reported by observers that the present Pope Francis and the former (resigned) Pope Benedict are strongly at odds. Both have their supporters. But at this point they apparently aren't on speaking terms.

If their disagreement can't be resolved, do you think we may have another "schism" in the Catholic Church like the one that split the Roman and Eastern Catholics?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: Might there be a new schism in the Catholic Church?

Post #2

Post by Checkpoint »

polonius wrote: It is generally reported by observers that the present Pope Francis and the former (resigned) Pope Benedict are strongly at odds. Both have their supporters. But at this point they apparently aren't on speaking terms.

If their disagreement can't be resolved, do you think we may have another "schism" in the Catholic Church like the one that split the Roman and Eastern Catholics?
Probably not.

But then, I don't know what their disagreements are.

Do you?

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Might there be a new schism in the Catholic Church?

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 1 by polonius]

What's the nature of their dispute?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by polonius »

From US Catholic - Religious News Service

(RNS) Many conservative Catholics have long viewed Pope Francis with suspicion thanks to his effort to shift the church’s focus away from a culture war agenda and toward a more welcoming approach and a greater emphasis on serving the poor.

But last month’s controversial Vatican summit on the modern family, with the push by Francis and his allies to translate that inclusive view into concrete policies on gays and divorced and remarried Catholics, for example, seems to have marked a tipping point, with some raising the specter of a schism—a formal split that is viewed as the “nuclear option� for dissenters.

polonius
Prodigy

Mot famous schism of 20th century

Post #5

Post by polonius »

Religious News Service.

Schismatic bishops can ordain other bishops and priests, so the breakaway has a better chance of continuing; the Great Schism of 1054 between Eastern and Western Christianity has lasted almost 1,000 years.

On the other hand, the most famous schism of the 20th century was led by French Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre against many of the reforms mandated by the Second Vatican Council, including ecumenism, religious freedom and putting the liturgy into the vernacular.

In 1988 he ordained four bishops without the approval of the pope, but he took only a relatively small number of Catholics with him into schism. After his death, his group has not grown significantly and has experienced its own splits. (Benedict XVI also made the group less attractive by permitting greater use of the pre-Vatican II Latin Mass.)

bjs
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by bjs »

A “nuclear option� is a drastic or last ditch effort undertaken only when all conventional means have failed. It is viewed as a choice that is harmful to all parties involved and should only be considered in the most in the most extreme cases.

So no, I don’t think the “nuclear option� of a schism is realistic. Talk of it strikes me more as fearmongering than any kind of serious analysis of the situation.

Also, the current and former Pope were photographed speaking together about two weeks ago, so it is inaccurate to say that they are not on speaking terms.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

polonius
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by polonius »

bjs wrote: A “nuclear option� is a drastic or last ditch effort undertaken only when all conventional means have failed. It is viewed as a choice that is harmful to all parties involved and should only be considered in the most in the most extreme cases.

So no, I don’t think the “nuclear option� of a schism is realistic. Talk of it strikes me more as fearmongering than any kind of serious analysis of the situation.

Also, the current and former Pope were photographed speaking together about two weeks ago, so it is inaccurate to say that they are not on speaking terms.
QUESTION Was that staged for the press which is becoming more critical of the growing ideological conflicts?

polonius
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by polonius »

Catholic
A Schism in the Catholic Church?
March 5, 2017 by Fr. Dwight Longenecker

Headlines last week were proclaiming that a group of cardinals believe Pope Francis should step down to avoid a catastrophic schism in the Catholic Church.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by bjs »

polonius wrote: QUESTION Was that staged for the press which is becoming more critical of the growing ideological conflicts?
How in the world could I possible know the answer to that?

I understand that looks can be deceiving, but generally speaking what you see is what you get.

Unless there is a reason beyond fearmongering to assert that the event was staged, rational people should assume that there is not dark conspiracy involved.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

bjs
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by bjs »

polonius wrote: Catholic
A Schism in the Catholic Church?
March 5, 2017 by Fr. Dwight Longenecker

Headlines last week were proclaiming that a group of cardinals believe Pope Francis should step down to avoid a catastrophic schism in the Catholic Church.
Could you provide a link to your source?