Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Can a man or angel create commandments?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Can a man or angel create commandments?

Jon 13:34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.�

Is this evidence that leads towards Jesus being God or not?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Can a man or angel create commandments?

Post #21

Post by Elijah John »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 17 by onewithhim]

Great so do you believe a man interposed himself between us and God?
They're called prophets. The major prophet Jesus, taught that we can go directly to God, with no mediation. He did this by teaching the Lord's prayer.

Prophets receive and transmit the messages of God. Is that men "interposing" themselves between us and God?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Wootah
Savant

Post #22

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Elijah John]

Which other prophets can you show in the text that said, "here is a new commandment, be like me."

Actually Moses gets denied entry into the promised land because he strikes the rock to create water in a way that interposed himself between the people and God.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #23

Post by brianbbs67 »

Elijah John wrote:
Wootah wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 11 by Elijah John]

Moses went up a mountain and spoke to God. God gave Moses the commandments. You know this right?
Yes, I know the story. And as JW pointed out, God gave Jesus all the words he preached and taught. And that would include his "new Commandment".
So Jesus says that God said that the standard to follow, the new commandment, is be like Jesus? Suspicious much?
Where did God say the new Commandment is to "be like Jesus"? I don't recall that. But I do recall Jesus saying he's giving a new Commandment to love one another.

It's the origin of that Commandment that is the subject of this debate, correct? And whether the giving of the Commandment is evidence or not that Jesus is God. Otherwise, seems you are shifting your arguments.
That was not a new commandment . It encompassed the whole law. Common thought of the time. Hillel preached this and most of Jesus' sayings. That we should follow the way of Christ is suggested and many don't fully hear it.

So, is modern Christianity just creating a god, not of wood and stone, but of their liking?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #24

Post by brianbbs67 »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to Elijah John]

Which other prophets can you show in the text that said, "here is a new commandment, be like me."

Actually Moses gets denied entry into the promised land because he strikes the rock to create water in a way that interposed himself between the people and God.
THe prophets are all interposed. They are the medium. I can only guess that because Moses did it out of anger and used God's power without permission is the reason. What else could it be unless God is petty? I don't think He is.

Wootah
Savant

Post #25

Post by Wootah »

brianbbs67 wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Wootah wrote:
Elijah John wrote:

Moses went up a mountain and spoke to God. God gave Moses the commandments. You know this right?
Yes, I know the story. And as JW pointed out, God gave Jesus all the words he preached and taught. And that would include his "new Commandment".
So Jesus says that God said that the standard to follow, the new commandment, is be like Jesus? Suspicious much?
Where did God say the new Commandment is to "be like Jesus"? I don't recall that. But I do recall Jesus saying he's giving a new Commandment to love one another.

It's the origin of that Commandment that is the subject of this debate, correct? And whether the giving of the Commandment is evidence or not that Jesus is God. Otherwise, seems you are shifting your arguments.
That was not a new commandment . It encompassed the whole law. Common thought of the time. Hillel preached this and most of Jesus' sayings. That we should follow the way of Christ is suggested and many don't fully hear it.

So, is modern Christianity just creating a god, not of wood and stone, but of their liking?
Does Hillel say that the epitome of the golden rule is Jesus?

Is Jesus to anyones liking? He washes the disciples feet and says no servant is greater than their master. We are to go low and who would fashion a God like that?

Wootah
Savant

Post #26

Post by Wootah »

brianbbs67 wrote:

THe prophets are all interposed. They are the medium. I can only guess that because Moses did it out of anger and used God's power without permission is the reason. What else could it be unless God is petty? I don't think He is.
Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :).

Elijah John
Savant

Post #27

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 24 by Wootah]

In the Synoptics Jesus gives the Golden Rule and the two Great Laws of Love. In both instances he characterizes each as the "Law and the Prophets" And there in the Synoptics Jesus does not say he is giving a new Commandment. As Brian points out, Hillel also gave a version of the Golden Rule.

Does that make Hillel God?

Interesting that in John, Jesus gives the admonition to "love one another" as a "new Commandment" instead of characterizing it as the Law and the Prophets as he does in the Synoptics.

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #28

Post by Elijah John »

brianbbs67 wrote:
Not of "wood and stone" but of blood and bone.

Seems to be the case. Modern Christianity worships the "Christ of Faith" as opposed to heeding the teachings of the historical Jesus who only directed worship to the Father and likely never wanted to be worshipped himself. No good Jew would.

I blame John and Paul for getting the "Christ worship" ball rolling with their extremely high Christologies, and Paul's blood theology. They are the true inventors of mainstream Christianity, not Jesus.

-YHVH is LORD

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #29

Post by brianbbs67 »

Wootah wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:

Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :).
I wish there was a haha function because that is funny. Its not my thinking.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #30

Post by brianbbs67 »

Wootah wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:
Elijah John wrote:
Wootah wrote:
Elijah John wrote:

Does Hillel say that the epitome of the golden rule is Jesus?

Is Jesus to anyones liking? He washes the disciples feet and says no servant is greater than their master. We are to go low and who would fashion a God like that?
No, Hillel did not. but, his doctrine encompassed the Golden rule. That was the way the law could be reduced to 2 commandants because in Hebrew thought if you kept those you would naturally keep the rest as you already knew them.(as a blessing and path to God)

My thought on your second point is modern christianity makes Christ what they desire Not what he is. I prefer to take him at his word as recorded. But, I will say you have to examine what's recorded and find the errors.