Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

How would you react.........

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

…...........if it could be proved beyond any shadow of doubt no god or afterlife exist, when you die you are no more?

I would be relieved that once my life is over that is it, end of story. I am of the opinion that is the case, but of course there is the outside possibility I am wrong.

I have asked this question on forums before, often the reaction from devout believers is that god/afterlife exist and there is no other possibility.

Over to you.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: How would you react.........

Post #41

Post by rikuoamero »

2ndRateMind wrote:
rikuoamero wrote:
2ndRateMind wrote:
rikuoamero wrote: [Replying to post 29 by 2ndRateMind]
If even Christian criminals perpetrate injustice, and commit crime, and are broken sinners, despite proximate earthly justice systems,
And despite their belief in a god and an afterlife and a reckoning...you left that out.
Only because I thought it self-evident, in no need of spelling out in words of few syllables.

The proposal of an afterlife is not a silver bullet, doing away with vampires and all other evils with a single shot, more a social influence, more relevant to some than others. And I am perfectly content to leave it that way.

Best wishes, 2RM.
So now you agree with me perfectly. Shall I consider this a retraction of what you said in post #9? Was there ever a connection between the non-existence of an afterlife and an automatic desire for power and wealth?
Ha Ha! I am glad you think we agree on that, at least. But in respect of my post #9, my position on the afterlife is that it is not just a fireside armchair conjecture, but also a reality. Hope that clarifies.

As for wealth and power, I do think the striving for such is the default position, especially amongst human males, who need to win and keep their mates. And clearly we cannot all be wealthy and powerful simultaneously, and if we are, that sets off a whole arms race towards more wealth and more power, with all the devastatingly destructive impacts on the environment we are just beginning to realise.

Best wishes, 2RM.
It never ceases to astonish me, the constant projection from Christians. 2RM is taking what he thinks is the default position for him, and assuming it's true for all others (human males he mentions, what, females don't desire wealth and power?)

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Tcg
Savant

Re: How would you react.........

Post #42

Post by Tcg »

rikuoamero wrote:

It never ceases to astonish me, the constant projection from Christians. 2RM is taking what he thinks is the default position for him, and assuming it's true for all others (human males he mentions, what, females don't desire wealth and power?)

Given that the idea of this mindset as the default is being used as "evidence" that there is a need for some afterlife that will set everything right, the faith based belief that it is the default can't be abandoned without fear of losing the faith based belief in the afterlife.

The kicker of course is that even if it were true that this is the default, that doesn't prove some great reconciliation of all wrongs to be obtained in the afterlife is a reality. It simply shows that one poster wishes that there were some afterlife so that all wrongs can be righted. It may bring comfort to hold such a belief, but seeking comfort is not a reliable path to comprehending reality.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Avoice
Guru

Interesting question

Post #43

Post by Avoice »

Your question is food for thought. Only that has never been proven. There is however increasing evidence of the God of Israel. Prophecies He foretold are coming to pass in our lifetime.
Israel is a miracle. Against all odds the nation survives. There is a reason for that. They were chosen to bring God's message to the world Everyone has been given a chance to listen to Him. Or avoid Him and his laws. The nation of Israel is forever. Because God's Torah is forever.

It is an interesting question. But its hard to imagine an answer when the answer to the question isnt for keeps.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Interesting question

Post #44

Post by Tcg »

Avoice wrote:
The nation of Israel is forever. Because God's Torah is forever.

Using an unverifiable claim, "God's Torah is forever", does not provide verifiable support for a previous claim, "The nation of Israel is forever." The end result of course is that both are unsupported.

The only way to verify them would be to wait forever and see if they are both still around. This is clearly an impossible task which causes one to realize both are statements of faith, not knowledge.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom