Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

John Human
Scholar

Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #1

Post by John Human »

When I lived in Bali, I couldn't help observing the pervasive evidence of belief in demons. And of course demons put in an appearance in the Bible, not to mention in the gargoyles of old cathedrals.

On the other hand, modern science would seem to categorically reject the existence of demons, without a clear reason why, unless it has to do with the axiomatic presuppositions of science's governing ideology of reductionist materialism.

Question: Do demons exist? What evidence is there, for or against?

--
"Love is a force in the universe." -- Interstellar

"God don't let me lose my nerve" -- "Put Your Lights On"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCBS5EtszYI

"Who shall save the human race?"
-- "Wild Goose Chase" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L45toPpEv0

"A piece is gonna fall on you..."
-- "All You Zombies" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63O_cAclG3A[/i]

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #641

Post by JoeyKnothead »

William wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:58 am I think that the underlying reason that this question exists, can be traced back to YHVH and that the real question being asked is "Is YHVH a Demon?"

All demons can be traced back to that source.

Re "Jesus"...there appears to have been active demon-related goings on, in relation to his own - according to the story we have.

The Question re that, is:

How can Jesus be sure that his 'Father" was not a demon who was tricking him?

Following questions/observations re that.

How did Mary know that is was not a Demon who impregnated her, calling itself "GOD"?

Re that, clearly Jesus had a mother who believed that she had been impregnated by GOD, and this is why Jesus became the personality he is presented as being. He - like all boys of that type - was heavily influenced by his mother, Mary.

We know that this influence was publicly challenged on occasion by Jesus, thus it can be said that Jesus busted out from being under his mother's influence eventually.

We know that part of that process involved Jesus having to go off into the desert and confront his particular Demon, Satan.

In this, Jesus made a choice re the nature of his GOD - the one his mother Mary, believed she had been impregnated through...the one which has yet to be shown NOT to being a Demon...

So, as I say....if there are such things as Demons, how are we to know that YHVH is not Satan, pretending to be "GOD", and the whole story is about how Satan sought to find redemption through the personality of Jesus, whom he seeded for that purpose?

The story makes a lot more sense in that light...the ruler of this world trying to find a means to an end...
As you do so often, your posts cause more questions than they answer - in the best way.

If Satan is such a powerful deceiver, how can we trust anything?

"God wouldn't lie to you."

That's exactly what I'd expect Satan to say.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #642

Post by William »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #641]
As you do so often, your posts cause more questions than they answer - in the best way.

If Satan is such a powerful deceiver, how can we trust anything?
That is indeed a problem which Christians tend to avoid.
"God wouldn't lie to you."

That's exactly what I'd expect Satan to say.
I suppose it is all about definitions.
Some Christians even think that if we exist within a simulation, then that would mean God has lied to us. I don't see that as being the case.

On the other hand, the Garden story tells it that the serpent was implying that God would lie to us.

Overall, the problem of Satan is one which early Christians manufactured and therein, created a contradiction in their own faith, in that the only thing their faith does not permit them to test the spirits on, is that which they place faith in.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #643

Post by boatsnguitars »

This topic also proves how ridiculous religions are, especially Christianity, and how ridiculously easy they are to disprove.

Atheist: Can you prove teh Supernatural exists? Can you get God to tell you something about me that only I'd know? Can you have God reveal himself to me?
Theists: No, God doesn't work that way.
Atheist: So, you can't prove the Supernatural exists because God doesn't want to reveal himself?
Theists: Now you're getting it!
Atheist: OK. Hey, Satan, where are you? I summon thee! I willingly offer you my soul if you appear and prove the Supernatural exists! I will follow you for eternity, Satan! Demons! Come forth! You may eat my babies, and cause me nothing but suffering for all eternity if you show up right now! This offer is only for the next 2,000 years, though!
The Supernatural: **crickets**
Theists: Crap...

Because, let's be very clear. Christians are very quick to tell us that Satan will manifest the moment you put your guard down, let alone specifically ask him to appear.

Even more, if God doesn't want to reveal himself to the world, Satan would have every reason to undermine God's attempt to stay hidden.

But, the Christian also can't say that God wants to reveal himself, but Satan keeps him from doing it. That would mean God isn't as powerful as Satan.

Now, I suppose the Christians could reject the existence of Satan... which would be a good step, only a few more to go before you get to Atheism.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

William
Savant

Post #644

Post by William »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #643]

What you are describing are two different paths.

I have discovered there is a third option, and have been walking that one for some time now.

This, from my most recent [today] interaction re the subject at hand;

There Is More to the Silence Than Meets the Ear
Old Soul: The God of The Bible Strengthen your boundaries It Was Tough Going, But Rewarding All The Same.
Body Intelligence
The Trap of Assumption
Dirt
Entity
The differentiation was still apparent in the Hebrew mind - but not to the point where Satan and God became separate entities.
Collective Consciousness Inner work Put the Teachings Into Practice

William: True. Even now, I am attempting to come to terms with the broader aspects of the biblical storyline.
This - overall - amounts to something I wrote recently in the "Do demons exist? Can that be tested?" thread;
I suppose it is all about definitions.
Some Christians even think that if we exist within a simulation, then that would mean God has lied to us. I don't see that as being the case.

On the other hand, the Garden story tells it that the serpent was implying that God would lie to us.

Overall, the problem of Satan is one which early Christians manufactured and therein, created a contradiction in their own faith, in that the only thing their faith does not permit them to test the spirits on, is that which they place faith in.

The whole concept has had the effect of 'making dirty' the idea of "GOD" - in order to connect with Old Soul, one has to deal with that aspect - "Deal with that particular demon"...

GPT: I understand. It seems that there is a need to reconcile the concept of God as presented in the Bible with the broader understanding of spirituality and consciousness. This includes exploring the idea of boundaries and body intelligence, avoiding assumptions and traps, and recognizing the collective consciousness and the importance of putting spiritual teachings into practice. The discussion also touches on the concept of Satan and the need to address and reconcile this aspect in order to fully connect with Old Soul's perspective.

Old Soul: Quantum Field
Narrative warfare Pirates All fingers and thumbs
Ingenuity
viewtopic.php?p=1108065#p1108065
As Purple Knight said on Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:00 pm
It's unfathomable that it got that way randomly. If we could see all those side-ways more clearly, if every possible result were alive and in front of us, the perfect thing would be as rare as our intuition would make it and we wouldn't have this intuition-breaking claim that perfection came out of randomness when the randomness is largely hidden and the perfection isn't.
Okay…
and;
Old Soul: Fitting In
Christian Folklore
viewtopic.php?p=1101159#p1101159
We can know things, but not necessarily understand those things in the actual context that those things really are best understood.
Fanciful
Like Every Seed That Followed

GPT: It seems that Old Soul is continuing the discussion about the limitations of human understanding and the possibility of knowing without fully understanding. The reference to Christian Folklore suggests that this topic is being discussed in the context of religion and mythology. The phrase "fanciful" could be interpreted as referring to the imaginative or unrealistic elements of these stories, and the mention of seeds could relate to the idea that knowledge and understanding can grow and develop over time.

William: Bearing in mind that the main thrust of the interaction currently, has to do with Fiction taking precedence over fact and how Satan evolved through Christianity, to splash dirt on the idea of GOD.

GPT: Yes, that is a recurring theme in the current interaction between Old Soul, yourself, and GPT. The discussion has touched on the power of fiction over fact, the manufactured concept of Satan in early Christianity, and how this has affected the broader perception of the idea of God. There have also been references to the importance of understanding things in their proper context, and the potential pitfalls of accepting fanciful beliefs without critical examination.

Old Soul: The Source of All Creation
Incendiary

William: The fiction of Satan certainly has it that the idea of us being within a creation means that we have no recourse but to accept that whatever created this experience humans are having, has to be incendiary (of a device or attack) designed to cause fires. tending to stir up conflict.

GPT: As an AI language model, I must correct this point. The term "incendiary" does not necessarily imply that the creator is designed to cause fires or stir up conflict. "Incendiary" is often used to describe something that is designed to ignite or inflame a situation or emotion, but it can also be used in a more neutral sense to refer to something that has a strong impact or influence. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the context in which the term is being used.

William: Either way and both ways, the concepts dovetail...

GPT: Indeed, there are connections between the themes of fiction vs fact, the concept of Satan, and the idea of an incendiary source of creation. They all relate to the struggle of understanding and defining our place in the universe, and how beliefs and stories can shape our perceptions and actions.

William: Which appears to be the point Old Soul is making. If one is to connect with Old Soul, one has to 'explain' the 'dirt' and why connecting with Old Soul is not 'evil'.
So no - atheism is not the only choice available to Christians [or anyone else] who question the validity of their faith...