Suicide-Bombing for Jesus

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SallyF
Guru

Suicide-Bombing for Jesus

Post #1

Post by SallyF »

The Philistines brought Samson out before a great crowd of rulers and thousands of people gathered in the temple to celebrate his capture. Samson's hair had begun to grow back and as he leaned against the pillars of the temple, he prayed to God for strength once more to defeat the Philistines. Samson used all of his might and pushed down the temple, killing himself and thousands of Philistines and rulers. https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-s ... lilah.html

"Killing HIMSELF and THOUSANDS ..." of people from another culture.

It's in the "Word of God".

Could it be used to legitimise suicide-bombing for Jesus ...?
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Re: Suicide-Bombing for Jesus

Post #2

Post by JJ50 »

[Replying to post 1 by SallyF]

Nothing would surprise me!

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

SallyF wrote: Could it be used to legitimise suicide-bombing for Jesus ...?
No. The story is descriptive, not prescriptive. The Bible describes what happened, but it is not commanding others to do those things. Just because something is done in the Bible doesn't mean that it can be used as justification to also do those things.

SallyF
Guru

Post #4

Post by SallyF »

And Christian kiddies going through the indoctrination/brainwashing process in Sunday School can colour in pictures of the much-vaunted Bible suicide-killer.

Who prayed to "God" - which in most Christian cases would be the Jehovah/Jesus/Holy Spirit-Ghost version of God - and the biblical superhero's superhuman powers were restored to him in a way that would make Spiderman covetous if it weren't a sin, and BOOM the Bible superhero was able push over the pillars of the temple and kill all those wicked sinners who worshipped "false" ideas about God.

The "Bible" doesn't directly command us, but it teaches us that it's okay to kill thousands of people with other ideas about God, because they are not OUR ideas about God. And OUR ideas about are the only TRUE ideas.

And, children, OUR idea of God even COMMANDS the Bible superheroes to kill ALL of the wicked people with false ideas about God, so WE can live in the Promised Land that OUR idea of God told us we can have for ourselves even though other peoples were living there already.

Biblical ethnic-cleansing genocide is OKAY …!!! It's BIBLICAL

Why, our loving Lord Jesus Christ is about to come back to Earth and do that very thing himself at any moment.

Why don't WE show our Saviour how much we LOVE him by starting the process ourselves?

We have a great biblical precedent and imprimatur to follow ….

Then He will HAVE to come and take us to our home in the magical place called Heaven.

And if we kill ourselves as well, we will get to Heaven even sooner.

(I think we could sell that. Beats the Kool-Aid thing.)
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Jagella »

SallyF wrote:Could it be used to legitimise suicide-bombing for Jesus ...?
Well, you might describe this story as a mass-murder/suicide. I'm sure that most Christians would argue that Samson did the right thing, though. He was held prisoner by the hated enemies of Israel, the Philistines, and wanted to take revenge on them. Sadly many innocent people including children would have been crushed under the rubble if this story is true.

But to answer your question, I'd have to answer no. Crushing people under a building is God's way in the Old Testament. Since Jesus came along, God burns people to punish them.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Jagella »

otseng wrote:
SallyF wrote: Could it be used to legitimise suicide-bombing for Jesus ...?
No. The story is descriptive, not prescriptive. The Bible describes what happened, but it is not commanding others to do those things. Just because something is done in the Bible doesn't mean that it can be used as justification to also do those things.
But according to this tale, killing the people in the building was an act of God. Are you saying that what God presumably did in this story was not justified?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

SallyF wrote:

Why don't WE show our Saviour how much we LOVE him by starting the process ourselves?
Because Christians have been given no authority in scripture to take another human life.

Whlle, its seems to me most mainstream Christians take killing people, at least during wartime, on a case by case basis, we Jehovah's Witnesses believe Jesus commanded his followers to love even our "enemies", and we don't interpret that to mean kill them, under any circumstances. We JWs believe it is not our place to kill, and we dont support military efforts designed to take life. This is why you don't hear of JW suicide bombers, Jehovah terrorist killings and you will never hear of a Jehovah's Witness army unit. We are entirely non-violent.

We leave final judgement in the hands of the God we believe in.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Jagella »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
SallyF wrote:
Because Christians have been given no authority in scripture to take another human life.
But you could presumably be given that authority any time. A Jehovah's Witness I know told me that Jehovah was fully justified in his killing the many people he put to death as chronicled in the Old Testament. According to "Denny," Jehovah has the power of life and death, and that might makes him right in anything he does including genocide. It should be obvious, then, that Jehovah could at any time choose to command Christians to kill anybody he tells them to kill. Who or what is to stop him if he has the power of life and death, and what Christian would dare to question the morality of his orders?
Whlle, its seems to me most mainstream Christians take killing people, at least during wartime, on a case by case basis...
I know that according to the Watchtower "mainstream Christians" are in league with Satan, and the abuses of these alleged followers results from their rebelling against Jehovah. So their killing is attributed to the evil of the Devil, and the killing of people like Moses and Joshua is attributed to Jehovah. So Jehovah and Satan both instigate the killing of large numbers of people. While Jehovah's killing is good, and Satan's killing is evil, the result is much the same and difficult to differentiate. In both cases we end up with a lot of dead people.
...we Jehovah's Witnesses believe Jesus commanded his followers to love even our "enemies", and we don't interpret that to mean kill them, under any circumstances.

I don't know who Jehovah's Witnesses love or hate, but they are not known for treating apostates well. In fact, a Jehovah's Witness, "Silas," told me that Jehovah's Witnesses hate apostates, and his mother who was also a Jehovah's Witness did not disagree with what he said.

But, Silas and his mother may be unusual in their hatred for apostates. Other Jehovah's Witnesses might love apostates even if they shun those apostates. I imagine that it would be hard to love people you believe oppose Jehovah and that you must have nothing to do with.
We leave any judgement in the hands of the God we believe in.
That's what has me concerned. Again, if you believe in a god who has judged many people to be worthy of death, then I see no reason people may never again believe he has ordered killing. As far as I know Jesus never said that Jehovah has changed his ways and is a kinder, gentler God who has repented of his genocides.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #9

Post by Overcomer »

Islam teaches that the only sure way a person can get to paradise is to die performing an act of jihad. Hence, we have Islamic suicide bombers.

Jesus tells us that we are to love our enemies, not kill them, and that it is faith in him and his sacrifice for us that opens the door to eternity with him.

Therefore, anyone who thinks suicide-bombing for Jesus is right has no idea who Jesus is, what he teaches and how we are act as his followers. It's a ludicrous suggestion.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

Overcomer wrote:
Jesus tells us that we are to love our enemies, not kill them, and that it is faith in him and his sacrifice for us that opens the door to eternity with him.

The Jesus presented in Revelation takes a very different approach. He himself will lead the murder of countless souls who make the mistake of being his enemy.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom