So why are we here

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

So why are we here

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

This topic was introduced in the A room as well. Why are we here debating Christianity?

For most I bet it is to provide a good defense to their faith. What are some other ideas? I'm pretty sure it isn't to try and convince them of our correctness.

For me, I am here to learn as much as I can about their arguements so that when I debate them infront of others, I can sound more "rehersed" and thus inspire at least some of the audience to question or better yet come and ask me later about it.

I also love debate so long as logic can be used. It does get a little frustrating when I get comments like, "Well Paul didn't even think Jesus was God." Those WAY out there ideas are annoying and I usually end up ignoring that individual for a while.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

Sleepy
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by Sleepy »

To stay sharp. A Christian who does not like questions on their faith has not thought deeply enough about what they believe.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by achilles12604 »

Sleepy wrote:To stay sharp. A Christian who does not like questions on their faith has not thought deeply enough about what they believe.
]

I think I'll write a book where I attempt to give only the best answers for both the atheist and christian side. That way the lazy Christian can read both sides at once rather than all apologist. I'll probably have it proof read by a couple atheist debators, friends of mine.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

Sleepy
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by Sleepy »

Want a hand?

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by achilles12604 »

Sleepy wrote:Want a hand?
Sure, but I need a lot more study first. I actually think this forum will be useful for the book. Where else can I get such a concentrated view from both sides.

Jester
Prodigy

Re: So why are we here

Post #6

Post by Jester »

achilles12604 wrote:This topic was introduced in the A room as well. Why are we here debating Christianity?

For most I bet it is to provide a good defense to their faith. What are some other ideas? I'm pretty sure it isn't to try and convince them of our correctness.

For me, I am here to learn as much as I can about their arguements so that when I debate them infront of others, I can sound more "rehersed" and thus inspire at least some of the audience to question or better yet come and ask me later about it.

I also love debate so long as logic can be used. It does get a little frustrating when I get comments like, "Well Paul didn't even think Jesus was God." Those WAY out there ideas are annoying and I usually end up ignoring that individual for a while.
I like your reasons thus far, but wanted to add a couple of others that I think are very good.
1) To encourage other Christians that are also on this site
2) To challenge my own faith. I don’t want to believe out of ignorance, and have always thought that listening to the arguments against Christianity can be an act of faith that none of them will prove to be true.
3) Most amazingly, I hang onto the idea that there are is an atheist or two out there that might, someday down the road, accept Christ partially because one of us said something compelling on this forum.

Of course, I also just love debate.