Is the support for Trump contrary to Christian values?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

Does evangelical support for Trump create a crisis for Christianity?
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... cn2gnaekoQ

Are his policies and personal character consistent with Christian values?

Related to this, should a Christian who wants to bear witness for the risen Christ sell all he has, give to the poor, and follow Jesus?
Or should he or she accumulate wealth to show he is blessed by God?

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #71

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 70 by Danmark]
It is interesting to note that 'Christian' Trump supporters do not use their own scriptures to help them evaluate. In Matthew 7 Jesus reportedly said:
Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? So every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit.

It is abundantly clear that Donald Trump is a sexual predator, a multiple bankrupt, a bigot, a racist, a constant liar and money grubber who stands for the opposite of every thing Jesus stood for. Yet so many who claim to follow Christ expect to receive truth and Christian virtues from this obvious conman and cheat.
<sigh> Asked and answered so many times now. Yes, the moral character of an individual should be taken into account when voting, but not all issues are equal. There are some things that are considered intrinsically evil acts and a Christian should never support a candidate that supports such things, even if that candidate is “nicer� than the other candidate.

A Catholic cannot vote for a candidate who favors a policy promoting an intrinsically evil act, such as abortion, euthanasia, assisted suicide, deliberately subjecting workers or the poor to subhuman living conditions, redefining marriage in ways that violate its essential meaning, or racist behavior, if the voter’s intent is to support that position.

https://www.cacatholic.org/how-should-c ... and-ethics

otseng
Savant

Post #72

Post by otseng »

Danmark wrote: It is abundantly clear that Donald Trump is a sexual predator, a multiple bankrupt, a bigot, a racist, a constant liar and money grubber who stands for the opposite of every thing Jesus stood for.
Moderator Comment

If this was said against another poster here, it would result in an immediate warning.

1. Personal attacks of any sort are not allowed. Comments about any person that are negative, condescending, frivolous or indicate in any way a lack of respect are not allowed.

The rules do not differentiate between people on the forum and off. Please exercise restraint and do not make any negative comments about others, including those not on the forum.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

justme2
Apprentice

Post #73

Post by justme2 »

YES[font=Times New Roman][/font]

Elijah John
Savant

Post #74

Post by Elijah John »

justme2 wrote: Is the support for Trump contrary to Christian values?

YES[font=Times New Roman][/font]
In spite of your unsupported assertion, I say no. And here's why.

President Trump:

1) advocates for religious freedom.
2) Opposes abortion
3) Supports the Biblical notion of marriage, etc.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Re: Is the support for Trump contrary to Christian values?

Post #75

Post by AgnosticBoy »

I am usually reluctant to get into politics outside of a Debate site and that's because people take it too personally when I disagree with them. But one common question I get is how could I vote for Trump. They go on to say that voting for Trump makes you immoral.

This is just to remind the some liberals again:
If I vote for Trump, it is not because I approve of every single policy on the Republican platform. The reason I would vote for him is if the Democrats have their own problems that I am against. In other words, there is NO perfect candidate. There is no moral high ground when it comes to voting between two evil options. Therefore, I will not pretend that I'm speaking for God or any absolute moral standard when I say vote Trump or Biden.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #76

Post by Bust Nak »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:21 pm There is no moral high ground when it comes to voting between two evil options.
What's the difference between moral higher ground and moral high ground, when there are realistically only two options?

Bust Nak
Savant

Re:

Post #77

Post by Bust Nak »

RightReason wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:10 pm There are some things that are considered intrinsically evil acts and a Christian should never support a candidate that supports such things, even if that candidate is "nicer" than the other candidate.
Never? That appears to be different from the official advice, which leave some wiggle room:

"A Catholic cannot vote for a candidate who favors a policy promoting an intrinsically evil act... if the voter's intent is to support that position."

koko

Post #78

Post by koko »

Are his [Trump's] policies and personal character consistent with Christian values?

You posed several questions in your OP and I'll just address this one.

It is clear that Trump is among the many antichrists that Jesus warned about. He arrogantly called himself "the Chosen" which demonstrates his haughty spirit (a true Christian is required to be humble). He used profane language to describe people in Third World countries and referred to Mexicans as "rapists". His economic policies enrich the wealthy elites while harming the poor (the Bible warns that such things cause God to destroy nations as shown in the Book of Amos). He uses jack booted thug police forces to attack people and to foment troubles such as by macing bystanders, using cars to run over people, and through slashing tires of peaceful protesters. He fires those who dare to speak up but maintains yes men in his staff.

Trump is a man who openly practices and advocates elitism, hate, prejudice, and political corruption - ample evidence to support this assessment has been posted on this forum. The Bible exhorts all Christians to work for justice, not for inequity. Therefore, supporting Trump is totally inconsistent with true Christian character.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #79

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Bust Nak wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:57 am
AgnosticBoy wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:21 pm There is no moral high ground when it comes to voting between two evil options.
What's the difference between moral higher ground and moral high ground, when there are realistically only two options?
None. All morals are subjective. Even if there were a moral scale, people would just base it on who agrees with them the most. I'm looking for a good economy a d strong security/2nd amendment. Of course, a Democrat is going to be a problem for me but I am open.

koko

Post #80

Post by koko »

Trump has promoted corporate welfare wastage by continuing to build up the military. This has diverted resources from improving the nation to enriching the wealthy elites who profit from war. Those who have read the Bible know that a nation with faith in God has no need of a standing army:

Psalm 27 + 83:13-15
I Samuel 8:20
Isaiah 41:12
Deut 28:7

Gideon was told as per Judges 7 he could go to war but that he was to use no more than 300 soldiers. Since so many right wingers on this forum claim to be good Christians they should have no trouble believing that this is all we need to vanquish any enemy should any arise. Let's dissolve the entire military industrial complex, go about building up the decaying infrastructure, and allow equity for all. This is what a true Christian wants but Trump does not. Therefore, supporting him is clearly contrary to Christian and biblical teachings and values.