God is an alien?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

God is an alien?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

For those not familiar with the Ancient Astronaut theory, it is, basically, saying that ancient people experienced advanced tech from an advanced species and attributed that to gods (including the Christian God). There have been multiple shows and movies referencing this idea. Personally, I find it fascinating and, although I don't agree with everything AAT supporters claim, I do with much of the basics. It makes the most sense, to me. Especially when you see how much science and technology has replaced so much of what was once attributed to God and gods.
And this isn't something that's happened thousand of years ago, but relatively recently
https://www.indy100.com/news/remote-rel ... 382991?amp

While I doubt many, if any on here, believe this (maybe I'm wrong and I'm not the only one?) does anyone think it's at least possible?

Seems if one can believe in a supernatural being that created everything and was 'before time' (not to mention those that claim they understand such a being), surely you could consider this to be true?

Or does your 'faith' include closing off your minds to other possibilities?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

bluegreenearth
Guru

Re: God is an alien?

Post #2

Post by bluegreenearth »

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:45 pm For those not familiar with the Ancient Astronaut theory, it is, basically, saying that ancient people experienced advanced tech from an advanced species ...
Arguably this option is supported by scripture, since the bible speaks of "the sons of god" living amongst the ancients. It seems reasonable to me that they would have imparted their knowledge to humans resulting in tremendous advancements in technological knowhow . Indeed even in the post flood world the bible speaks of God confusing the the langages at Babel and implies it was to slow own their advancement.

GENESIS 11:6

Jehovah then said: “Look! They are one people with one language, and this is what they have started to do. Now there is nothing that they may have in mind to do that will be impossible for them.
Regardes of whether one accepts the the biblical narrative or not, sites such as Göbekli Tepe and even the pyramids of Egypt, lead some to conclude the ancients did indeed have access to advanced technology.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:28 am
nobspeople wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:45 pm For those not familiar with the Ancient Astronaut theory, it is, basically, saying that ancient people experienced advanced tech from an advanced species ...
Arguably this option is supported by scripture, since the bible speaks of "the sons of god" living amongst the ancients. It seems reasonable to me that they would have imparted their knowledge to humans resulting in tremendous advancements in technological knowhow . Indeed even in the post flood world the bible speaks of God confusing the the langages at Babel and implies it was to slow own their advancement.

Jehovah then said: “Look! They are one people with one language, and this is what they have started to do. Now there is nothing that they may have in mind to do that will be impossible for them.
Regardes of whether one accepts the the biblical narrative or not, sites such as Göbekli Tepe and even the pyramids of Egypt, lead some to conclude the ancients did indeed have access to advanced technology.

JW
Advanced enough to be considered Gods/God?
Why or why not (supported by facts)?
Or
Why or why not (support by personal opinion)?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by 2timothy316 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:28 am

JW
It also suggests they had an advanced knowledge of physics. To build a huge tower of brick and mortar rather than stone is to have an understanding of physics in engineering. Particularity gravity. As something large is built the bottom takes the weight of the rest of the structure. With stone, this not so much of a problem. Yet with brick and mortar building a large tower takes thought and a lot more understanding of the physical world. The ancient people were not as uneducated as many people think. Now, their religions were.....interesting. But they were based on the invisible forces they knew were there but didn't know how to fully explain them. They only had one thing right when it came to their religions. They felt there was an intelligence behind the creation of the forces of nature.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Tim, I remember reading in one of our older publications (can't find the quote) that had Jehovah not slowed things down by confusing the languages, man may well have reached the space age many millenia earlier.

I was talking to my brother the other day and he pointed out, even without angelic (demonic) input, the long lifespans pushing on a thousand years, would have made for tremendous advances. Archeologists are busy rewriting pre-history in view of the fantastic structures and complex cities that are being discovered in récent décades. The image of the ancients as knuckle dragging ignorants seems to be far from an accurate picture.

We sometimes joke of showing the resurrected ones like Abraham a mobile phone and him stroking his beard and saying "Yes, we had those until they become obsolete"

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Purple Knight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:28 amArguably this option is supported by scripture, since the bible speaks of "the sons of god" living amongst the ancients.
I believe this passage even describes interbreeding and says something like, "These were the heroes of old."

The Nephilim. Whether or not this describes a bunch of half-aliens, or the writers intended it, it certainly seems to, though I well admit that this may be modern culture's story effect of hypothesising on every little thing. Wesley is really Picard's son. Professor Farnsworth is a wizard, not a scientist, and Disenchantment occurs in the same universe. In The Boondocks, Huey and Riley are two halves of the same 18-year-old whose involvement in gang culture landed him in a coma, and Granddad is Death. Remy the Rat isn't just Alfredo Linguini's friend; he's his father's reincarnation. Malcolm in the Middle grows up to be Frank Underwood, but he never really became president; he's really in insane asylum. So on and so forth.

In modern culture, writers have picked up on the fact that this is unbelievably fun, and they intentionally place "easter eggs" in their works - bread crumbs to both scare off JWs and lead the observant watcher to these far-out theories and conclusions. In this culture of writers and fans feeding off each other's great fun in conspiracy theories, the bread crumb that the Nephilim are half-aliens would actually be too big to be a crumb; a ham-fisted attempt at this conspiracy-theory-fan-and-writer-interplay.

But it was a different time, and I don't know if it was simply intended, or a description of actual half-aliens that may have walked the earth whether or not God existed and may or may not have had anything to do with such an entity even if it did exist, or if it's simply a tale with random bits in that sounded good.

There's an interesting midrash about God being an alien and Cain being a dragon that I once came across, which comes to mind now.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Purple Knight wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:36 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:28 amArguably this option is supported by scripture, since the bible speaks of "the sons of god" living amongst the ancients.
I believe this passage even describes interbreeding and says something like, "These were the heroes of old."

The Nephilim.
Indeed. There are in fact many myths across pratically all cultures of "the gods" decending to dwell and breed with humans (the geeks and the Romans built a whole religion on the idea). The bible explains that these were in fact rebellious angels that took on human form in order to have sex and procreate with women. The Nephlim contrary to popular belief are not portrayed in scriptire as these angels but the offspring of said unions.

RELATED POSTS

For more information go to other posts related to

ARMAGEDDON, KILLING and ... THE FLOOD OF NOAH'S DAY

JW

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:01 am
Purple Knight wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:36 pm

The Nephilim.
Indeed. There are in fact many myths across pratically all cultures of "the gods" decending to dwell and breed with humans (the geeks and the Romans built a whole religion on the idea). The bible explains that these were in fact rebellious angels that took on human form in order to have sex and procreate with women. The Nephlim contrary to popular belief are not portrayed in scriptire as these angels but the offspring of said unions.

RELATED POSTS

For more information go to other posts related to

ARMAGEDDON, KILLING and ... THE FLOOD OF NOAH'S DAY

JW
Asking is it your belief that the bible's description/explanation is the only correct one? That any other ancient writing (Greek, Native American, Aztec, Aboriginal, etc) are wrong? Or are there threads of truths in other beliefs as well?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

nobspeople wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:02 am
Asking is it your belief that the bible's description/explanation is the only correct one? That any other ancient writing (Greek, Native American, Aztec, Aboriginal, etc) are wrong? Or are there threads of truths in other beliefs as well?
My belief is that the bible is the only 100% account of events but that most myths have elements of accurate history in them. The common threads are usually evidence of elements which are in my opinion based on historical events.