Why do atheists participate in religious discussions?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Avoice
Guru

Why do atheists participate in religious discussions?

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

We KNOW their is no tooth fairy.

Would any one waste their time talking with people who did believe it?
No. For what reason? But atheists do this. Why? They are convinced their is no God. So they say. However if that was true then what are they doing here?

There is no such thing as a person who truly, without a doubt believes there is no God. There is always some doubt. And to find out you have to die.

There are really only one reason for the faithless or Godless to be here.

To accuse people of being wrong knowing they can't prove God exists. And I think atheists iare mad at God for not being able to prove he doesn't exist. I think they refuse to believe in God because they are afraid they would have to prove it and they wouldn't be able to. And the thought of losing an argument or not being able to defend it is too much for them. So they just deny God rather than look foolish. They have big egos. They have to be right. Probably have control issues in relationships

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: Why do atheists participate in religious discussions?

Post #2

Post by Jagella »

Avoice wrote:We KNOW their is no tooth fairy.
Well, the Tooth Fairy is unlikely to exist outside of lore and imagination.
Yes. Such people are known as "parents" or "guardians." They often tell their kids that there is a Tooth Fairy only to admit the lie later on. By contrast, the indoctrination of children into believing in the Christian god is rarely recanted.
...atheists do this. Why? They are convinced their is no God. So they say. However if that was true then what are they doing here?
You may wish to ask whoever created this forum why they have invited people, including atheists, to debate issues related to Christianity and its god. I can't speak for all the atheists here, but I generally don't approve of misinformation. If people are misinformed, then I think it's best to set them straight if I reasonably can. Misinformation can have tragic consequences, and I don't wish to see people hurt.
There is no such thing as a person who truly, without a doubt believes there is no God. There is always some doubt. And to find out you have to die.
The Christian god seems really strange in that he cannot unambiguously reveal himself to live people. I've heard he is really good at showing himself to dead people, though!
I can think of more than one reason for us "faithless or Godless" to be here, but please go on.
To accuse people of being wrong knowing they can't prove God exists.
I wouldn't say that people are necessarily wrong if they cannot prove something.
And I think atheists iare mad at God for not being able to prove he doesn't exist.
I can't be angry with something that doesn't exist.
I think they refuse to believe in God because they are afraid they would have to prove it and they wouldn't be able to.
I used to be a Christian, and I cannot recall being afraid that I could not prove that God exists although trying to convince skeptics could be frustrating at times.
And the thought of losing an argument or not being able to defend it is too much for them. So they just deny God rather than look foolish. They have big egos. They have to be right.
Actually, looking like a fool not being able to substantiate my belief in a god is a disincentive in my adopting Christian beliefs. I generally don't wish to look foolish trying to convince people of outlandish claims.

In conclusion, I should say I'm very familiar with the "you atheists get out and stop bothering us" reaction to skeptics from Christians who cannot substantiate their beliefs. If Christians don't want their beliefs scrutinized and cannot take criticism, then they shouldn't go around trying to convert unbelievers. Unbelievers won't always be persuaded and won't always be nice to you.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #3

Post by benchwarmer »

So much wrong and misinformation in one post. Bravo!
Avoice wrote: We KNOW their is no tooth fairy.
Do we? Can you prove that? We certainly know that people pretend to be the tooth fairy and leave gifts in exchange for teeth. That doesn't prove the tooth fairy doesn't exist. Note that I'm not claiming it does either.
Avoice wrote: Would any one waste their time talking with people who did believe it?
Sure! Some of us like to understand the reasons people believe the things they do. You are basically suggesting we don't talk at all about anything we don't believe already. Sounds like a very closed mindedness way to live. How would you learn anything?
Avoice wrote: No.
Wrong. Some people do.
Avoice wrote: For what reason?
To learn something. If nothing else, to try to understand the other person's perspective.
Avoice wrote: But atheists do this. Why?
SOME atheists do this. Are you claiming ALL atheists do this? Evidence?
Avoice wrote: They are convinced their is no God.
Wrong. Again.
Avoice wrote: So they say.
Some might, some don't. Wrong again.
Avoice wrote: However if that was true then what are they doing here?
It's not true. Everyone is here for different reasons. Some people like to discuss things. Some people like to point out logical fallacies. Some people like to stir the pot. Some people like to preach. Some people like to share their beliefs and ideas. Some people like to post false statements. I'm sure there are many more reasons.
Avoice wrote: There is no such thing as a person who truly, without a doubt believes there is no God.
Evidence? You've made a claim. Back it up.
Avoice wrote: There is always some doubt. And to find out you have to die.
How do you find anything out when you are dead? You are presuming an afterlife. If one exists, sure, you find out there is something else going on. If there isn't, you don't find anything out, you are no more.

Evidence for your claim there is ALWAYS some doubt? Another claim to back up.
Avoice wrote:
Wrong yet again. See above for a bunch of reasons.
Avoice wrote: To accuse people of being wrong knowing they can't prove God exists.
Well, I just proved YOU wrong a number of times and we haven't even started discussing any gods yet.
Avoice wrote: And I think atheists iare mad at God for not being able to prove he doesn't exist.
Wrong. Again. This agnostic atheist can't be mad at something that is not known to exist. What I do get mad at sometimes is people making unfounded claims about all manner of things that they can't back up.

Are you mad at the tooth fairy? That's the argument you just made. Why are you so mad at the tooth fairy? Did you not get money for all your baby teeth? Since you can't prove the tooth fairy doesn't exist, I can only assume based on your reasoning you must be mad at the tooth fairy.

Interesting.
Avoice wrote: I think they refuse to believe in God because they are afraid they would have to prove it and they wouldn't be able to.
Finally, an opinion. Noted. Wrong regarding this agnostic atheist anyways.
Avoice wrote: And the thought of losing an argument or not being able to defend it is too much for them. So they just deny God rather than look foolish.
Opinion also noted. Also wrong in my case.
Avoice wrote: They have big egos. They have to be right.
Two more claims. Evidence?
Avoice wrote: Probably have control issues in relationships
Opinion noted.

Perhaps we should ask why you are here? If you truly believe what you just posted, what is your point being here? From the above, I can only surmise that you enjoy making unfounded claims.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by JJ50 »

Moderator removed one-line, non-contributing post. Kindly refrain from making posts that contribute nothing to debate and/or simply express agreement / disagreement or make other frivolous remarks.

For complimenting or agreeing use the "Like" function or the MGP button. For anything else use PM.

shnarkle
Guru

Post #5

Post by shnarkle »

[Replying to post 1 by Avoice]

To accuse people of being wrong knowing they can't prove God exists. And I think atheists iare mad at God for not being able to prove he doesn't exist.
Let me preface what follows by pointing out that I am not a Christian, nor am I an atheist, and I am not speaking on behalf of either party.

However, given that this is a Christianity debate, I would simply draw your attention to the source material itself which includes the Hebrew texts. The Hebrew texts refer to god as "incomparable", as well as pointing out that god can't be imagined. To imagine anything about God is to become an idolater. The author attribute a namd which means "I will be", or "I will be what I will be".

The fact it that incomparability can't be compared, and unimaginability can't be imagined, and what is potential doesn't actually exist.

When we get to the Christian scriptures, it becomes even more evident that God not only doesn't exist, but simply can't exist. John's introduction doesn't begin with "In the beginning was God". There is no beginning to nothing. John begins with "In the beginning was the word", which is the only referent there is for God. The authors back this up by pointing out that when you've seen this word which is now walking around in a body of flesh, you've seen God's image. They aren't suggesting that his physical body is God, but that the body is a temple housing God's spirit, which in and of itself isn't necessarily God either. We know this because the verb to be is not equivalent to the Genitive of possession. In other words, being is not equivalent to having. This is even more so when there is no referent for the attribution.

Paul is probably the clearest of all when he points out that God is the origin of all that exists while Christ is the means (1 Cor.8:6). Logically, this shows that God can't exist due to the fact that it negates God as the origin of existence.

If God exists, then God can't be the origin of existence. Paul has simultaneously refuted the question of God's origin as well as an infinite regression, but proven that God logically can't exist in the first place, except insofar as non existence can be seen as a counterweight to existence.

Returning to John's introduction, he points out that every thing that exists is created by the word, so either God is created, or God doesn't exist.

Again, Paul settles that question by distinguishing between these terms; God and Christ. There is no referent for the word "God" other than the word itself, and the word is what exists while what it refers to isn't a "what" or a "thing" to begin with.

Those who believe God objectively exists as well as those who ask for proof are idolaters in the eyes of the biblical authors.

Yet another proof is in Paul's reference to Christ being "the image of the invisible god". Paul uses the word "image" which in the Greek is "eikon". We get the word "icon" from this which should never be confused with "idol".

An icon is a representation whereas an idol is worshipped as a god. So Christ represents God rather than actually being God. Most Christians worship Christ as God. Again, the biblical authors, both old and new; would categorize them as idolaters.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

We KNOW the Biblical God is false too.

So why do theists continually attempt to defend this indefensible mythology? :-k
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

SallyF
Guru

Post #7

Post by SallyF »

For Some Atheists it is a missionary duty … a calling.

Naïve as it may be, we live in hope.

And - because there is no such thing as truly selfless altruism - it's just plain good fun :D

Put the right bait on the hook and you can feed a whole multitude of debaters with just a coupla small fishes.

No wine though … because, unlike Jesus, this Atheist believes that alcohol is a sin and a curse on humanity.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Zzyzx »

Avoice wrote: We KNOW their is no tooth fairy,
OH? How, exactly, do you KNOW there is no tooth fairy?
Avoice wrote: Would any one waste their time talking with people who did believe it?
If tooth fairy believers saturated society with their propaganda and advertising and agitated to pass laws based on fairy belief, I would challenge their claims and stories. Same goes for god believer propaganda, advertising, stories, claims, and political activity.
Avoice wrote: No.
Yes – see above
Avoice wrote: For what reason?
See above
Avoice wrote: But atheists do this.
Correction: SOME Atheists discuss religion, some do not. Some Christians defend Bible tales, some do not. Blanket statements often prove false.
Avoice wrote: Why? They are convinced their is no God. So they say.
Correction: SOME Atheists are convinced there is no god. However, “I do not believe your god tales� is not denial of existence of gods.
Avoice wrote: However if that was true then what are they doing here?
Part of my motivation to debate here is to help and encourage Theists to demonstrate to readers that Bible stories and claims do not hold up to reasoned challenge – and that such tales are not convincing to those who are not already indoctrinated to believe.
Avoice wrote: There is no such thing as a person who truly, without a doubt believes there is no God. There is always some doubt.
OH? You know this about every person? Does omniscience come from religious belief
Avoice wrote: And to find out you have to die.
According to the teachings of one of the world’s 4000 religions
Avoice wrote: There are really only one reason for the faithless or Godless to be here. To accuse people of being wrong knowing they can't prove God exists.
Omniscience again?
Avoice wrote: And I think atheists iare mad at God for not being able to prove he doesn't exist. I think they refuse to believe in God because they are afraid they would have to prove it and they wouldn't be able to.
Opinion noted

Where and how did you ‘learn’ so much about Atheists?
Avoice wrote: And the thought of losing an argument or not being able to defend it is too much for them. So they just deny God rather than look foolish. They have big egos. They have to be right. Probably have control issues in relationships
Look in a mirror.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

Avoice wrote: There is no such thing as a person who truly, without a doubt believes there is no God. There is always some doubt
Irrelevant. Your claim here also displays and extreme ignorance of theological debate.

You most likely not only believe that you can KNOW there is no tooth fairy, but you probably also believe that you can KNOW that the ancient Greek tales of Zeus and company do not describe any actual gods as well.

So ironically if you believe in only a single version of man-made God myths, then you are the one who believes something you cannot KNOW.

You may actually find this strange, but I cannot know that the Greek fables of Zeus are false. Why not? Because in Greek mythology there is no claim that Zeus is righteous, or trustworthy, or even truthful. To the contrary Zeus can lie to you to his heart's content, and laugh at you, and destroy you for no other reason than he simply feels like it.

Therefore it's actually impossible to prove that Zeus is a false God Myth. If there are any problems or contradictions associated with the tales of Zeus, that's fine, because no one ever said that Zeus was righteous, truthful, or trustworthy, etc.

However, the Biblical God is not permitted such freedom to be unrighteous, untruthful, or untrustworthy. Yet, we must believe that Yahweh (the Biblical God) is all of these things if the fables about him are true.

Therefore we can KNOW that the Hebrew mythology of Yahweh is indeed false and Yahweh therefore does not exist.

So there you have it. I don't need to claim to know that every conceivable idea of a "God" is false to know with absolute certainty that the Biblical God is false.

In fact, I don't even claim that no other possible concepts of God cannot exist. As far as I'm concerned that God associated with some forms of Buddhism could indeed be real. Or perhaps not. The bottom line is that we have no compelling reason to believe that it exists. And that's all that is required to be an atheist anyway.

Atheism isn't a denial that no Gods can exists. Atheism is simply a rejection of any known theology on the grounds that those theologies are quite simply not compelling.

Period.

Atheists do not need to claim that no Gods can exist. Although, just as with all other labels that people use, SOME atheists may very well take the position that no Gods can exist. But that's not the position of atheism in general.

So, not only can I have doubts about whether or not a God might exist. I can even lean in the direction of giving the concept a high degree of probability and STILL reject the Hebrew folklore of Yahweh as being obviously false. It's false because the texts that describe their God prove that their God cannot be true.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Tiberius47
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by Tiberius47 »

No. For what reason? But atheists do this. Why? They are convinced their is no God. So they say. However if that was true then what are they doing here?

To accuse people of being wrong knowing they can't prove God exists. And I think atheists iare mad at God for not being able to prove he doesn't exist. I think they refuse to believe in God because they are afraid they would have to prove it and they wouldn't be able to. And the thought of losing an argument or not being able to defend it is too much for them. So they just deny God rather than look foolish. They have big egos. They have to be right. Probably have control issues in relationships
We KNOW their is no tooth fairy.

No. For what reason? But creationists do this. Why? They are convinced their is no evolution. So they say. However if that was true then what are they doing here?

There is no such thing as a person who truly, without a doubt believes there is no evolution. There is always some doubt.

There are really only one reason for the scienceless or evolution deniers to be here.

To accuse people of being wrong knowing they can't prove evolution exists. And I think creationists are mad at science for not being able to prove evolution doesn't exist. I think they refuse to believe in evolution because they are afraid they would have to prove it and they wouldn't be able to. And the thought of losing an argument or not being able to defend it is too much for them. So they just deny evolution rather than look foolish. They have big egos. They have to be right. Probably have control issues in relationships