Is gender a spectrum, not binary?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Is gender a spectrum, not binary?

Post #1

Post by marco »

We hear harrowing or amusing tales about hirsute individuals, scientifically designated as male but in their own heads seen as female, winning awards in women's competitions.

I understand that several female beauticians . I have heard that several women's beautician practices in Canada have had to close down because of litigation. A person who seemed, to the untrained eye, to be a man, endowed with male attributes, wanted treatment that the ladies felt unequal to give, skilled as they were in dealing with people who were clearly female. Over here in the UK I understand that some children as young as six have discovered that they think in terms of a gender they were not designated.

This has all come from a re-evaluation of the concept of gender, once thought, perhaps foolishly, to be about two items.

Is this a move in the right direction?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #11

Post by Bust Nak »

Overcomer wrote: It bothers me when people allow a five-year-old to dictate whether they want to live as a boy or a girl. Would these people also let the child dictate what he eats (chocolate chip cookies would have been my choice) and when he goes to bed, whether he goes to school or not, etc.? Children don't know enough to make these kinds of decisions.
Seriously? I know what my gender is when I was 3. 5 years is plenty old enough.
It also bothers me that there are young people being subjected to sex-change procedures when they are still too immature to have figured everything out about themselves, who they are, how they were made, etc. Instead of rushing to meet someone's feelings about themselves, why not hold off and help them sort out those feelings to find out if they're healthy, real, viable, etc.?
Now that I can agree with, knowing something isn't quite right is one thing, figuring out how best to fix it is quite another.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: Is gender a spectrum, not binary?

Post #12

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

Notice.
Healthy people only have female and male children. All the rest is due to foul play!
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!