Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Bible obsession with foreskin

There are over a hundred mentions of circumcision in the Bible
https://www.openbible.info/topics/circumcision

There are thirteen mentions of foreskin specifically
https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Foreskins

Including:

1 Samuel 18:27 David rose up and went, he and his men, and struck down two hundred men among the Philistines Then David brought their foreskins, and they gave them in full number to the king, that he might become the king's son-in-law. So Saul gave him Michal his daughter for a wife.

Picture the aftermath of battle with Philistines . . .

WHY would a ‘god’ and his people be obsessed with foreskin and circumcision?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #51

Post by Zzyzx »

Wootah wrote: I think you are correct. Uncontrolled sex and violence are linked.
Might it be more accurate to say that uncontrolled SEEKING sex is linked to violence (rather than sex itself)?

Those who have all the sex they desire are not likely to become violent over sex. However, those who are sexually frustrated or denied often use violence to obtain sex or to express their frustration in other ways.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Wootah
Savant

Post #52

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 50 by Zzyzx]

I don't disagree that people having sex are less likely to be violent. People having cake are less likely to riot than starving people too. Marriage, which is a form of circumcision in my opinion, is a great way to allow more people to enjoy sex. Idol worship is akin to sleeping around btw.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #53

Post by Zzyzx »

Wootah wrote: I don't disagree that people having sex are less likely to be violent.
If a religion attempts to prevent people from having sex, does that have potential to increase violence among the repressed?
Wootah wrote: People having cake are less likely to riot than starving people too.
Agree. Society would be well advised to avoid practices that lead to or contribute to hunger / starvation.
Wootah wrote: Marriage, which is a form of circumcision in my opinion,
WOW. Is that in keeping with Christian doctrine and dogma? Or is it something made up as a personal belief?
Wootah wrote: is a great way to allow more people to enjoy sex.
A way to ‘allow’ more people to enjoy sex may be for religions to STOP trying to control sex lives; to STOP attempts to promote ‘sex in marriage only’; and STOP attempting to demean sex outside marriage.
Wootah wrote: Idol worship is akin to sleeping around btw.
Does that include Christian idols (God, Jesus, HS, Bible)? Or is it just other peoples’ gods that are idols?
Non-Theist

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #54

Post by Danmark »

Wootah wrote:
Danmark wrote: Sex obsession and control. Partly it's because primitive man did not have as many distractions as we have. The more you can dramatize religious beliefs, esp with fear, the more power they have.
I think you are correct. Uncontrolled sex and violence are linked.
Do you consider it honest to misstate what I said and repeat it as if I said it? I certainly don't believe it is good, responsible, or loving to remove sexual organs or portions of them of men or women, boys or girls to attempt to control sexual desires. Do you?

If God says you should remove the clitoris or part of it from infant girls, would you do it?

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #55

Post by Danmark »

Wootah wrote: Marriage, which is a form of circumcision in my opinion, is a great way to allow more people to enjoy sex.
Please explain how marriage is a form of circumcision. Exactly how is it that marriage removes the foreskin? I've heard of 'castrating women,' but wive who remove foreskin is a new one on me, Wootah.

Wootah
Savant

Post #56

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 52 by Zzyzx]

I'm not sure where we are at. I think my position is explained.

To recap, sex and violence are almost entwined.

We can observe from evolution that reproducing is our chief desire so any book that claims truth would have to cover that topic. Foreskins and circumcision and any obsession is nothing more than tapping into fundamental issues. To not be obsessed would indicate lack of understanding of reality.

I am asking you to consider that this book asks of us to ultimately circumcise our hearts, our passions and not be like animals who fight and kill for sex.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #57

Post by Zzyzx »

Wootah wrote: Foreskins and circumcision and any obsession is nothing more than tapping into fundamental issues. To not be obsessed would indicate lack of understanding of reality.

I am asking you to consider that this book asks of us to ultimately circumcise our hearts, our passions and not be like animals who fight and kill for sex.
Has circumcision been shown to reduce sex and violence?

Perhaps you are thinking of castration?
Non-Theist

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #58

Post by Danmark »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 52 by Zzyzx]

I'm not sure where we are at. I think my position is explained.

To recap, sex and violence are almost entwined.

We can observe from evolution that reproducing is our chief desire so any book that claims truth would have to cover that topic. Foreskins and circumcision and any obsession is nothing more than tapping into fundamental issues. To not be obsessed would indicate lack of understanding of reality.
Your position is not explained at all, at least not in a way that makes sense to me. Circumcision is the removal of the foreskin in a man; some or all of the external genitalia in a woman. It is also called female genital mutilation. In a male it is also mutilation, but since it has been so much a part of many cultures for so long, its euphemism is used.

You have not explained how marriage = genital mutilation.

Sex and violence are 'entwined' in the mind of a sadist and rapist; not in a mentally healthy person. Whether it intends to or not, the Bible may associate sex with violence. That is shameful and contra reality. The Bible, at least for many, seems to teach that sex is wrong, except for procreation between marital partners. It even appears to teach that masturbation is wrong. THAT is contra reality and just plain sick and ridiculous. Of course, many scholars argue that the story of Onan is not really about masturbation and they have a point.

Wootah
Savant

Post #59

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Zzyzx]

Castration is part of circumcision. We do castrate violent sexual offenders and I support it. Jesus says that if your eye causes you to sin cut it out.

Exile is another part of circumcision and death is the ultimate cutting off by the way. Just to get the full symbolism out there.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #60

Post by Zzyzx »

Thank you for providing a religionist perspective on these matters.
Wootah wrote: Castration is part of circumcision.
Of course, ‘Castration is part of circumcision’ if one is unconcerned about definitions of words – or is engaged in word play attempting to salvage a foolish debate position.

castration The removal of the testicles (orchidectomy or orchiectomy), or, sometimes, of all the male external genitalia. https://medical-dictionary.thefreedicti ... castration

circumcision; surgical removal of the foreskin of males www.thefreedictionary.com/circumcision
Wootah wrote: We do castrate violent sexual offenders and I support it.
Correction: Chemical castration is legal in states of California, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Montana, Oregon, Texas, and Wisconsin (and perhaps Alabama).

Chemical castration involves a weekly injection of Depo-Provera, a contraceptive used by women. This obliterates virtually all testosterone production.

Surgical castration (removal of testes) is not practiced as punishment for crimes under US law (to the best of my knowledge).
Wootah wrote: and I support it.
That is not surprising.
Wootah wrote: Jesus says that if your eye causes you to sin cut it out.
That sounds like the ravings of a lunatic. A modern person promoting such action would likely be committed to a mental institution.
Wootah wrote: Exile is another part of circumcision and death is the ultimate cutting off by the way. Just to get the full symbolism out there.
Symbolism can be as extravagant as the speaker wishes. It need not tie to reality at all.
Non-Theist