Verifiable evidence that Jesus came back from the dead

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Verifiable evidence that Jesus came back from the dead

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Verifiable evidence that Jesus came back from the dead and walked on water.

In a current thread someone agrees to present verifiable evidence to support claims made:
For_The_Kingdom wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: I will agree to provide verifiable evidence for any claim that I make. Will you do the same? Bet you won’t and can’t.
I can and I do.
In that thread, s/he claimed that Jesus came back from the dead and walked on water.

Here is an opportunity to present verifiable evidence.

Definition of verifiable: capable of being proven as true or real
https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/verifiable
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: Verifiable evidence that Jesus came back from the dead

Post #2

Post by Jagella »

Zzyzx wrote:Here is an opportunity to present verifiable evidence.
Walking on water cannot be verified since it is presumably a historical event. We have no time machines that would allow us to go back and see if Jesus really did walk on water.

The resurrection of Christ, on the other hand, should have left us with a risen Christ. If the risen Christ could be presented, then we would have the proof for his resurrection. Since that risen Christ isn't around, we a left without verification that he rose from the dead.

WANTED

SallyF
Guru

Post #3

Post by SallyF »

I have my very own Mercy Seat at home, from which I am wont to make profound prophecies, from time to time.

I herewith predict that not a single soul will provide so much as a hint of verifiable evidence that the Jesus character from the Christian-Jewish literature walked on water.

I herewith predict that not a single soul will provide so much as a hint of verifiable evidence that the Jesus character from the Christian-Jewish literature came back from the dead.

I further predict that not a single soul who either believes, or pretends to believe, either of these astonishing things, will acknowledge the total absence of verifiable evidence for either astonishing thing.

And, as a final oraculation from the Mercy Seat, I predict that not a single soul will produce so much as a jot or a tittle of verifiable evidence that so much as a verse of "scripture" emanated in any way from any version of "God" - unless "God" be human imagination.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Jagella »

SallyF wrote:I herewith predict that not a single soul will provide so much as a hint of verifiable evidence that the Jesus character from the Christian-Jewish literature walked on water.

I herewith predict that not a single soul will provide so much as a hint of verifiable evidence that the Jesus character from the Christian-Jewish literature came back from the dead.

I further predict that not a single soul who either believes, or pretends to believe, either of these astonishing things, will acknowledge the total absence of verifiable evidence for either astonishing thing.

And, as a final oraculation from the Mercy Seat, I predict that not a single soul will produce so much as a jot or a tittle of verifiable evidence that so much as a verse of "scripture" emanated in any way from any version of "God" - unless "God" be human imagination.
Predicting all that is like predicting that the sun will rise tomorrow morning.

I've noticed that the forum has gotten slow lately on the Christian side. We atheists are pounding their arguments into the ground, and they are apparently unable to respond.

SallyF
Guru

Post #5

Post by SallyF »

Jagella wrote:
SallyF wrote:I herewith predict that not a single soul will provide so much as a hint of verifiable evidence that the Jesus character from the Christian-Jewish literature walked on water.

Predicting all that is like predicting that the sun will rise tomorrow morning.

I've noticed that the forum has gotten slow lately on the Christian side. We atheists are pounding their arguments into the ground, and they are apparently unable to respond.
Yes, I've noticed that too.

Of late, we Atheists, Traditional and New, have been exposing the feet of clay on which the glittering edifice of the numerous, squabbling Christianities are founded.

When it's a matter of haggling over whether Jesus wants us to cross ourselves from left to right, or right to left, or if "God" isn't going to give us our robe and crown if we've only been sprinkled with Holy Water during baptism, rather than a proper dunking, we have endless argument and debate and quotation of "scripture" as to who has got it right as to the minutiae.

But when it comes to the very, very simple fundamental questions posed lately - and confronted by very clear Christian graphics - Christians seem to not like what they see of their faith, and seem to dislike the absence of even the slightest hint of evidence to independently verify the supposed "Resurrection" or the magical tricks like the "Lord and Saviour" walking on water and such.

And Christians look to be avoiding acknowledging/admitting that the very foundations of their faith are just froth.

I'm going to start a thread on the Five Fundamentals of the (Christian) Faith
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

marco
Savant

Post #6

Post by marco »

Zzyzx wrote:

Here is an opportunity to present verifiable evidence.

When a body dies and is buried, we know what happens and we have learned this from billions of recurrences and from our knowlege of how matter is composed. If we are not allowed to rely on this bank of knowledge, then it is unsafe to bury the dead, since in some instances they can rise.

If someone has reversed the process of decomposition, overcome rigor mortis and has risen then presenting himself to sceptical authorities for cross-examination would have been a wise choice if he wanted the world to know of his "miracle." . Hiding away in some bed and breakfast accommodation, and then sneaking into the sky and vanishing is hardly an indication of a risen corpse. It is a tall tale. If the point was to declare and show the miraculous, why on earth conceal it at the same time? The best witnesses would have been the very people who hated him or who crucified him. Jesus to Roman guard: "Hello, I've just risen from the dead. Can I have a glass of water?"

Thus we have rumour against known fact; rumour of resurrection against the fact that decomposing corpses do not walk away. Tough choice.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Jagella »

SallyF wrote:And Christians look to be avoiding acknowledging/admitting that the very foundations of their faith are just froth.
I've noticed that many of the Christians here bail out of debates leaving no explanation for the hasty departures. "Forum debates" I think are especially tough for Christian apologists because atheists and other skeptics can respond to apologists' claims point-by-point pointing out the apologetic's numerous logical and factual errors. No doubt apologists prefer to argue in ways in which no such scrutiny is possible by writing books, giving talks, and engaging in formal debates with skeptics in public.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by JJ50 »

A lot of less than credible things have been attributed to Jesus. There is no evidence that any of them were true, and as he is long dead there is unlikely to be any.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #9

Post by benchwarmer »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Verifiable evidence that Jesus came back from the dead and walked on water.
In another thread it seems all that is on offer in the facts department are claims. In other words we can indeed verify that claims were made, but that's it. All further inquiry into getting more facts seems to lead in circles or diversions.

If theists had actual verifiable facts for their beliefs, they would slam those down on the table in the very first response to every thread on this site.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Jagella »

JJ50 wrote: A lot of less than credible things have been attributed to Jesus. There is no evidence that any of them were true, and as he is long dead there is unlikely to be any.
All we know is that we have some copies of religious writings about a god named Jesus who was said to have walked the earth as a Jewish magic-man grown up from a babe born to a virgin.

Biblical historians assure us that he was a real guy.