Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Why Christians Debate Atheists

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

Question for Debate: Why do Christians debate atheists?

I can think of at least four reasons why a Christian may wish to debate an atheist:
  • 1. They wish to understand why some people do not believe in any gods including the Christian god.
    2. They want to convert atheists to their brand of Christianity.
    3. They're hoping to help other Christians maintain their faith by making the atheist look foolish and the atheist's doubt appear to be unreasonable.
    4. They struggle with their own doubts and look to the atheist to offer hope that Christian claims may be true.
That last one might look out of place. Some Christians look to atheists for hope that their faith is grounded in reality? While it may seem counter-intuitive, I think it is fairly common for Christians to look to atheists for hope and solace. If an atheist can assure the Christian or at least leave open the possibility that at least some of her beliefs are true, then it is seen as more powerfully confirming evidence than what another Christian may have to offer. Assurance from another Christian may seem biased while that of an atheist presumably goes against his bias and is more likely to be true. Christian apologists often cite atheists who may share some Christian beliefs saying that the atheist's view is free of pro-Christian bias.

The corollary of this phenomenon is also an important factor in debates between atheists and Christians. If no agreement from the atheist is forthcoming, then some Christians may become upset. They might see the atheist as angry or hateful because he doesn't give them what they want so badly: assurance that they may get to heaven after all.

Savant

Re: Why Christians Debate Atheists

Post #11

Post by 1213 »

Jagella wrote: … I think that it's really inappropriate to dodge questions in a debate. ..
I understand it can be frustrating. But I think if some of your questions are not answered, there can be other reasons than intentionally dodging them. For example, the question was not noticed, or perhaps the person doesn’t have the answer.

Maybe sometimes the questions are also not relevant. Maybe in those cases it would be polite to say so?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by Jagella »

1213 wrote:Maybe sometimes the questions are also not relevant. Maybe in those cases it would be polite to say so?
Yes. I often point out that questions or comments have nothing to do with the topic.

Another reason people don't answer questions is that they fear that answering the question will reveal a fatal flaw in what they are arguing.

Savant

Post #13

Post by 1213 »

Jagella wrote: ....
Another reason people don't answer questions is that they fear that answering the question will reveal a fatal flaw in what they are arguing.
That may be true in case of atheists, but without ability to read minds, it would be difficult for me to make such claims.

Tcg
Savant

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
That may be true in case of atheists, but without ability to read minds, it would be difficult for me to make such claims.

I'm glad you don't claim to be able to read minds. Some theists imply that they can.

Given that you can't, you have no basis to limit this fear to atheists. It could be equally true of theists.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Zzyzx »

Jagella wrote: Another reason people don't answer questions is that they fear that answering the question will reveal a fatal flaw in what they are arguing.
A couple more question-ducking techniques commonly employed in apologetic defense of theism:

1. Posting personal beliefs rather than rational arguments supported by verifiable evidence.

2. Posting complete gibberish, perhaps to 'baffle with __________ (baloney)'
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Jagella »

1213 wrote:
I have asked some of the Christians here questions that if answered would expose serious if not lethal flaws in Christian theology and practices. I can't read minds either, but on numerous occasions I know that those questions often went unanswered.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by Jagella »

Zzyzx wrote:...complete gibberish, perhaps to 'baffle with __________ (baloney)'
A good example of that "complete gibberish" might be Anselm's Ontological Argument for the existence of the Christian God. Rather than presenting any actual evidence for his god, all we are given are his clever words. Other Christian apologetics is like that: rather than present us with God, we are given a lot of talk that we are expected to refute. If we don't refute those words, then we lose the debate and God exists.

So many Christian debate atheists because they don't have anything else.

Savant

Post #18

Post by 1213 »

Jagella wrote: I have asked some of the Christians here questions that if answered would expose serious if not lethal flaws in Christian theology and practices.
Please show one example.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by Jagella »

1213 wrote:
Jagella wrote: I have asked some of the Christians here questions that if answered would expose serious if not lethal flaws in Christian theology and practices.
Please show one example.
I've asked the Christians here if they would have participated in the stoning of the man described in Numbers 15. Jehovah ordered his execution for merely gathering sticks on the "wrong" day of the week! By answering yes, the danger and the barbarism of the Bible and its nefarious effect on people was exposed.

Savant

Post #20

Post by 1213 »

Jagella wrote: I've asked the Christians here if they would have participated in the stoning of the man described in Numbers 15. Jehovah ordered his execution for merely gathering sticks on the "wrong" day of the week! By answering yes, the danger and the barbarism of the Bible and its nefarious effect on people was exposed.
Ok, thanks. I think that can be difficult question, because I think people don’t really know what they would do in alternative situation. Luckily, I think that is not also very important question, it is not really a problem to not know the answer, more important is for example what will people do in current moment.

But on my behalf, if I would be the same as now, I would not stone merely because of gathering sticks and I think that was also not the case in the Bible. In Bible eternal life is for righteous and righteousness or unrighteousness is the key for all judgments.