By what name do you call your God?

Post #1

Post by Angry McFurious »

What name do you call your God?

adherent
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by adherent »

Father, Lord, Jesus, God, and some others.

nikolayevich
Scholar

Post #3

Post by nikolayevich »

Yeah, those pretty much sum it up for me too.

I've grown more comfortable with more Hebraic names as well over the past couple of years, such as Yeshua, Adonai, HaShem... the more I learn of their meanings the more I see "what is in a name".

Even His names are beautiful.

Nameless

Post #4

Post by Nameless »

I always liked 'Fred'. 'Stanley' worked when I was younger. Now that I'm older, definitely 'Fred'!

logic
Student

Naming God...

Post #5

Post by logic »

I call myself Joe...
"I would never want to be part of a club that would have someone like me as a member"
- Woody Allen

Nameless

Post #6

Post by Nameless »

OK, if we are being serious about this silly topic, yes, I Am the god of my universe. I create it and tend it. I Am that I Am. Beyond this illusory bodily designation, there is no name. Hence, in the myth, Moses's question was answered the only way even close to truthfully, "I Am that I Am." And I Am... Nameless in truth and reality.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #7

Post by Overcomer »

The nanes of God found in the Bible are fascinating. The interesting thing is that the names are not just something to call him by. Each name represents a characteristic of God. Therefore, the names tell us who he is and what he does.

For example, the name Jesus means "He who saves". His name, Emmanuel, means "God with us". "Christ" means "the anointed one".

And in the Old Testament, there are many names for God. For example, Jehovah-Rapha means "God the healer". Jehovah-Jireh means "God the provider".

Here are a couple of links if you're interested in reading about this:

http://www.egospel.org/names_of_god.htm

http://www.drfry.com/Sermons/1998/Names_of_God.htm

The wonderful thing is this: If we call out with sincerity to God using any one of his many names, he will always answer!

Everybody has a god of some kind, even atheists. Whatever a person puts his faith in, whatever he focuses his life on, whatever has top priority -- that's a person's god.

Atheists often put their faith in science or logic/reason or their own intellect or their own interpretation of the world around them. They make relationships or education or their job or money and possessions the focus of their lives. These are their gods. They just don't name them.

Nyril
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Nyril »

Everybody has a god of some kind, even atheists. Whatever a person puts his faith in, whatever he focuses his life on, whatever has top priority -- that's a person's god.
It cheapens your faith to expand in such a way that you can include every group on Earth. Using your definition, stamp collectors worship the stamp god, Star War's fans worship the Star War's god, artists worship the art god.

Tell me, what do Buddhists worship?
Atheists often put their faith in science or logic/reason or their own intellect or their own interpretation of the world around them. They make relationships or education or their job or money and possessions the focus of their lives. These are their gods. They just don't name them.
I seriously doubt you have no faith in science, logic, reason, your own intellect, or your own interpretation of the world. Using your logic, you also worship a multitude of gods, you simply name one more then we manage to. As for making possessions the focus of our lives, that's nonsense.

ENIGMA
Sage

Re: By what name do you call your God?

Post #9

Post by ENIGMA »

Angry McFurious wrote:What name do you call your God?
Seeing as I'm a Computer Science Major.....

A NullPointerException.

Yes, that seems to describe it perfectly. 8)
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

nikolayevich
Scholar

Re: By what name do you call your God?

Post #10

Post by nikolayevich »

ENIGMA wrote:
Angry McFurious wrote:What name do you call your God?
Seeing as I'm a Computer Science Major.....

A NullPointerException.
Isn't that a bit of a crutch? ;)