Can logic be applied to the almighty?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Can logic be applied to the almighty?

Post #1

Post by Willum »

So far the best arguments for God are arguments from logic.

However, in order for this creature to exist and fulfill the expectations levied on it by the Bible or other references, it needs to be All-powerful, or omnipotent.

It also needs to be constrained by these books or promises it allegedly made.

The problem with this is twofold:
Human beings can't be relied upon to keep their word, we agree - and this might not even be from dishonesty, merely misunderstanding or bad expectations. We can be made enforce our promises under some circumstances, but how would you do that with God? Especially if it is the misunderstanding of a second century goat-herder?

You can't.

Now what if the mis-understanding is based on the fact that you can't possibly understand the creature you are dealing with?

So if the fallible humans of the Bible got their understanding of an incomprehensible creature wrong, you are out of luck.

Of course the second problem with using logical arguments for God is that something all-powerful can defy logic MUCH MORE EASILY than reality.

Logic simply does not apply to a creature that can bend reality, or even create it. So square circle, maximal beings, any of that are easily made real by an creature that can do anything. If it can change reality, it can certainly change a human's idiotic definitions and logic. To imagine otherwise, is folly.

So how can use use logic to demonstrate something that can defy it?

You can't.

So, no evidence of God, no proof of God, nothing can actually be ascribed to God, anything God might have said can not be affirmed, nor logic apply. It all adds up to zero.

How could a reasonable person believe in such a creature?

Tcg
Savant

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
Tcg wrote: …They are TWO dimensional geometric figures[/b] – X and Y axis / directions only…
Yes, in the description I gave, circle and square are two dimensional, if you look from right direction, you see either square or circle. If you would not look two dimensionally, you would see something else.

You have assigned this quote to me. I, however, am not the author.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by Zzyzx »

1213 wrote:
Tcg wrote: …They are TWO dimensional geometric figures[/b] – X and Y axis / directions only…
Yes, in the description I gave, circle and square are two dimensional, if you look from right direction, you see either square or circle. If you would not look two dimensionally, you would see something else.
I had the great advantage of an eighth grade course in mechanical drawing. We learned to depict various real three dimensional objects as two dimensional drawings -- and to distinguish between a drawing and an object -- and to distinguish between two dimensions vs. three dimensions.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Willum
Savant

Post #23

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 22 by Zzyzx]

Regardless, perspective is certainly another kind of logic.
If you see something differently, you reason differently.

You keep drumming on about it, but I myself can create a lens that would make a square circular.
If you do not know about the original shape, nor the lens, how do you know it is it a square, a circle, or is it both?

That's just little old feeble me, dorking about with a lens, making a square circle. God, if he existed has the power to warp reality itself, how can you continue to state this is impossible?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by Zzyzx »

Willum wrote: That's just little old feeble me, dorking about with a lens, making a square circle. God, if he existed has the power to warp reality itself, how can you continue to state this is impossible?
Of course, with smoke, mirrors, lenses many illusions can be created.

Making up definitions can ‘change’ the meaning of words.

A ‘god’ can be whatever the imagination desires.

Quote me verbatim with URL stating ‘impossible’
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Savant

Post #25

Post by 1213 »

Zzyzx wrote: I had the great advantage of an eighth grade course in mechanical drawing. We learned to depict various real three dimensional objects as two dimensional drawings -- and to distinguish between a drawing and an object -- and to distinguish between two dimensions vs. three dimensions.
Difficult to believe that, but good for you. Unfortunately that really doesn’t add anything meaningful to this debate, and it doesn’t change the fact that what I depicted, is circle from certain point of view and square from certain point of view.

Savant

Post #26

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote:
1213 wrote:

You have assigned this quote to me. I, however, am not the author.

Tcg
Sorry, I try to be more accurate in future.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #27

Post by The Tanager »

1213 wrote:Difficult to believe that, but good for you. Unfortunately that really doesn’t add anything meaningful to this debate, and it doesn’t change the fact that what I depicted, is circle from certain point of view and square from certain point of view.
Since we are getting nowhere, perhaps we could use a different example for the same issue. Do you think an omnipotent being could create a married bachelor, where "bachelor" means an unmarried person? Not a bachelor that gets married and is no longer a bachelor, but a person who is both married and a bachelor at the same time?

Willum
Savant

Post #28

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 27 by The Tanager]

Certainly. I can do that (in concept).
A man gets married in one country. He moves and in the new country it doesn't recognize his marriage.

So far your brilliant examples of God-binding logic haven't bound ME, much less a creature of omnipotent stature, so I think that we can safely say that God is not bound by your logic, your books, your beliefs, or even anything you think he said or promised you.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #29

Post by The Tanager »

Willum wrote:Certainly. I can do that (in concept).
A man gets married in one country. He moves and in the new country it doesn't recognize his marriage.
I should have seen that you could still equivocate to hold onto your point. Married now means "married according to country X" and bachelor now means "unmarried according to country Y" rather than the original meanings.

Willum
Savant

Post #30

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 29 by The Tanager]

I doubt either or any country would see it as equivocating.
Marriage may have different legal constraints in one country then another.
Your logic is incorrect of course, marriage is of course a human convention, governments, churches and gods (if gods existed) would wash your paltry word away like the idea it is.

Since marriage is the legal union of two people, the laws, of countries, etc., are penultimate to your argument... and your argument is dismissed, again.

But do go on, perhaps you will be able to come up with some logical constraint that an all-powerful being (or more realistically ME) won't be able to wade through like water.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight