Mature content - Omiscient perceptions

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Mature content - Omiscient perceptions

Post #1

Post by Willum »

So an assumption of the all-benign God is that it is also all-knowing.
Usually when I ask, does that mean he knows even unimportant things, like the brief existence of virtual particles, theists say, "he knows everything."
So does he know our emotions, and fears? they say, "he knows everything."

So let's examine this in a practical - if disturbing - way. Second warning, this is disturbing.

When a rapist is violating his victim, God knows it, he feels the violation, helplessness and pain of the victim, the absolute rejection of reality the victim is going through and inescapable despair that will last the rest of his life.
But he will also know the cruelty and power of the rapist.

In both cases, he does nothing but watch and experience this trauma, and since he is omniscient, from both sides, and does nothing.

If it were you or I witnessing this, and do nothing, what would that make us?
Deplorable monsters.
God is an intimate voyeur to this experience, and does nothing. What does that make him?
A purveyor of freewill?
Or a despicable monster?

The only conclusion is that this god approves of these acts and scripture even agrees.

So, what does this make God? What does this make those people who follow him?

Now what about when he is observing child molestation. Is he still and all-benevolent god?

Willum
Savant

Re: Mature content - Omiscient perceptions

Post #61

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 60 by 1213]

And in Ohio, it seems like it is OK when Catholics rape 11 year olds, at least for them to bear their children. He is not being invited to pay $15 and marry her.
So you are (/not?) right there.
Muslim, Catholic, Judaists, Abrahamists, in general all seem to think the victim should bear the brunt of the crime.
What an awesome God you have!
Last edited by Willum on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

otseng
Savant

Post #62

Post by otseng »

1213 wrote: It is interesting how often woman seem to like rapists. For example, it seems that in Sweden it is ok, if Muslims rape people and the rapists are defended. I don’t think it is good.
Not sure what you mean by women seem to like rapists. Sweden is also not an example of this. If anything, they are less lenient with sexual assault than many other countries.
In recent years, several revisions to the definition of rape have been made to the law of Sweden,[3][4] to include not only intercourse but also comparable sexual acts against someone incapable of giving consent, due to being in a vulnerable situation, such as a state of fear or unconsciousness.[4][5] In 2018,[4] Sweden has passed a new law that criminalizes sex without consent as rape,[4] even when there are no threats, coercion or violence involved.[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_Sweden

Tcg
Savant

Post #63

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
It is interesting how often woman seem to like rapists.

This bizarre claim makes me wonder how many women you know.

It doesn't make me wonder how many rape victims you know. That number couldn't possibly be anything other than zero.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #64

Post by 1213 »

otseng wrote:
1213 wrote: It is interesting how often woman seem to like rapists. For example, it seems that in Sweden it is ok, if Muslims rape people and the rapists are defended. I don’t think it is good.
Not sure what you mean by women seem to like rapists. …
That is the image I get from media, for example:

“Feminist Swedish Politicians Defends Migrant Rapists, ‘Worse’ When Western Men Do It�
https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2016/0 ... n-culture/

“Sweden has the highest rape rate in Europe�
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19592372

This article also ties to explain it is just because more accurate way of counting, which is not necessary the reason, but nice way to try to make statistics to look better. Anyway, on basis of that, rape doesn’t seem to be a problem really, the problem is how to make the statistics to look better so that the reputation of Sweden is not hurt.

But, perhaps I don’t have correct image.

Tcg
Savant

Post #65

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
Anyway, on basis of that, rape doesn’t seem to be a problem really,

It may not be a problem for some theists who try to support Bible God and it's violent tendencies. For those of us who have empathy and understand the long lasting psychological damage rape causes, it is a different story.

Perhaps your God should take a few courses in psychology at his local Community College. He clearly has some catching up to do.

I'd foot the bill if he was willing.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #66

Post by benchwarmer »

1213 wrote:
otseng wrote:
Not sure what you mean by women seem to like rapists. …
That is the image I get from media, for example:

“Feminist Swedish Politicians Defends Migrant Rapists, ‘Worse’ When Western Men Do It�
https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2016/0 ... n-culture/

“Sweden has the highest rape rate in Europe�
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19592372

This article also ties to explain it is just because more accurate way of counting, which is not necessary the reason, but nice way to try to make statistics to look better. Anyway, on basis of that, rape doesn’t seem to be a problem really, the problem is how to make the statistics to look better so that the reputation of Sweden is not hurt.

But, perhaps I don’t have correct image.
I'm gonna go with "you don't have the correct image". Did you even read the articles you linked to? The first one is basically slamming the politician.

This excerpt from you "Anyway, on basis of that, rape doesn’t seem to be a problem really" is just baffling. If a single person is raped, that IS a problem!!! If your belief system is somehow blinding you to the horror of rape, I pray you become an atheist as fast as possible so you can drop this and see reality for what it is. You are certainly doing your fellow Christians no favors.

I'm really hoping there is a language issue here. I'm not sure why more of your fellow Christians are not jumping on these ridiculous statements. I'm certainly happy to see otseng in the mix trying to straighten you out.

Savant

Post #67

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: …Perhaps your God should take a few courses in psychology at his local Community College. He clearly has some catching up to do…
Why do you think so?

Savant

Post #68

Post by 1213 »

benchwarmer wrote:…This excerpt from you "Anyway, on basis of that, rape doesn’t seem to be a problem really" is just baffling. If a single person is raped, that IS a problem!!!
I agree, I think no one should be raped. That is why I find it sad that politicians seem to take it very lightly.

Willum
Savant

Post #69

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 68 by 1213]

The issue is God seems to take it lightly.
Crimes that, some would argue, are far worse than death, surviving traumas, ones that, because of the omniscience claim, he must experience, and does nothing about.

Savant

Post #70

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: The issue is God seems to take it lightly...
Sorry, I don’t see any reason to believe God takes it lightly.