Zzyzx
Site Supporter

How do you know so much about God?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

How do you know so much about God?

I study the Bible

I have read the Bible too

But I believe and I study the Bible not just read it.

I don’t believe. Does that mean that I can’t learn?

You cannot learn its true meaning and its lessons without believing

Questions for debate:

1. Does ‘must believe to learn’ apply in general or just to the Bible?

2. Does a Bible scholar who isn’t a believer know less than bible readers who believe?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by JJ50 »

The Bible is written by authors who have created their version of god in the image which suits them, imo.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: How do you know so much about God?

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

Zzyzx wrote: You cannot learn its true meaning and its lessons without believing
This is the spam that theists have fallen for. They didn't make this stuff up. It actually comes with the dogma. They are taught to believe this by the dogma itself.

However, we know for a fact that this is totally fallacious because people who are convinced that they believe in this stuff all come away from having read it with different opinions and views.

Religious people need to truly be naive to think that believers can understand the Bible when it's a well-known fact that believers are not in agreement with each other over what the Bible has to say.

I've her Jehovah's Witnesses make nasty accusations toward Catholic calling Catholicism "The Whore of Babylon". But we know that's nonsense. There are countless Catholics who are just as strong believers as any Jehovah's Witnesses. All this amounts to are theists basically using their theism to belittle each other.

Anyone who can't see through this nonsense by now must necessarily be in extreme denial. This has been going on for centuries if not millennia. How long does it take people to catch onto the fact that this dogma has them believing obvious proven lies?

Theists must necessarily accuse each other on large scales that all the people in opposing sects and factions of Christianity simply don't truly "believe".

How can they not see the futility in this practice? :-k

The greatest mystery surrounding these many divisive religions is the simple fact that modern day humans can't even see the obvious folly of these theologies.

A very sad fact about humankind to be sure.

We could be expanding the human race throughout our solar system by now. But people are too busy hating on each other over obvious make-believe Gods and Goblins. And yes, they all believe in Goblins to be sure. What theist doesn't believe in demons? :-k

Without the existence of demons they would have no excuses for why their God is so helpless and inept.

The Christian God had to have humans nail him to a pole in an effort to beat a demon called Satan. :roll:

So yeah, they definitely believe in Goblins every bit as much as they believe in their Gods.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Willum
Savant

Post #4

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

I am afraid that your premise is wrong.
Most people who have faith in the Bible are unfamiliar with it. They cherrypick a few of their favorite verses, often out of context and claim the know the work.

They often claim their favorite verses have obscure meanings, and often deny plain “English.�

In short, there are very few, if any, Judeo-Christians who know the Bible to back up their faith or claims.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #5

Post by Elijah John »

Zzyzx wrote: .

You cannot learn its true meaning and its lessons without believing
That may be true for some of the wisdom passages. One learns through experience, and experience may teach the person in question how the passages apply. Learning based on experience often goes deeper than rote learning.

Questions for debate:

1. Does ‘must believe to learn’ apply in general or just to the Bible?

2. Does a Bible scholar who isn’t a believer know less than bible readers who believe?
1) It doesn't apply to either Bible study or to learning in general.
2) Not necessarily. Depends on the individuals in question.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

The information in the Scriptures is doble: intelectual and spiritual.

Some information in the Scriptures can be understood the same way we study other books ... I've seen non-theistic persons understanding better some biblical doctrines than other religious persons.

But the spiritual aspect of the Bible is a different thing. That cann't be understood just studying the Bible ... Understanding the spiritual aspects in the Scriptures is not possible without being identified with what they say; that understanding is conditioned ... to faith, to mention only one point.

A true Christian does not study the Bible only as an intellectual exercise, such as when someone wants to compete with others to show that he knows more. Biblical knowledge is effective on a personal level if the corresponding spiritual effect is realized in that person's life.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Eloi wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

The information in the Scriptures is doble: intelectual and spiritual.

Some information in the Scriptures can be understood the same way we study other books ... I've seen non-theistic persons understanding better some biblical doctrines than other religious persons.

But the spiritual aspect of the Bible is a different thing. That cann't be understood just studying the Bible ... Understanding the spiritual aspects in the Scriptures is not possible without being identified with what they say; that understanding is conditioned ... to faith, to mention only one point.

A true Christian does not study the Bible only as an intellectual exercise, such as when someone wants to compete with others to show that he knows more. Biblical knowledge is effective on a personal level if the corresponding spiritual effect is realized in that person's life.

An interesting series of claims. Are we to expect verifiable evidence to support these claims to follow, or is this another situation where claims is all you'll provide?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Eloi »

I am talking from my experiences. Are you Bible student, Christian, or anything else that I can help you to understand what I know from my experiences as a Christian?

I was talking to the person who opened the post. I don't need to demonstrate my "claims" to you.

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

Eloi wrote: I am talking from my experiences. Are you Bible student, Christian, or anything else that I can help you to understand what I know from my experiences as a Christian?
I didn't ask about your experiences. I asked if you are going to provide verifiable evidence to support your claims.

I was talking to the person who opened the post. I don't need to demonstrate my "claims" to you.
Apparently, you can't demonstrate evidence to support you claims at all.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #10

Post by Divine Insight »

Eloi wrote: But the spiritual aspect of the Bible is a different thing. That cann't be understood just studying the Bible ... Understanding the spiritual aspects in the Scriptures is not possible without being identified with what they say; that understanding is conditioned ... to faith, to mention only one point.

The problem with this is that it applies to everything in general.

People who tend to believe what they read or are told are naturally going to attribute their behavior to the source they depend on for their ideas.

The problem with your argument is that it not only applies to all religions (never mind your obsession with the Hebrew Bible), but it also applies to non-religious aspects of life as well.

For example, here's a hypothetical quote from a person who admires their music teacher:
"You should do as my music teacher says. It works for me!"

I'm sure you've heard similar things as well.

Another hypothetical quote from a person who admires their sports coachr:
"You should do as my coach says. It works for me!"

Here's another one:
"You should do as my mathematics teacher says. It works for me!"

When people create a "teacher" their natural instinct is to place the teacher on a pedestal. And that's all you're doing with the Bible. You have chosen to view it as your teacher, and so now you worship it as the best teacher around.

But that's obviously a failed argument since people of all other religions do precisely the same thing with their doctrines and religious teachers.

So your argument is meaningless in terms of supporting your favorite theology. If you were in love with Buddhism instead of Christianity you'd be saying the same things about teachings attributed to the Buddha.

So there's no substance to your argument. All your argument does is reveal your failure to see how this works in many different situations. Many of them having nothing to do with religion at all.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]