The Death of Judas (Both Versions of the Story)

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

The Death of Judas (Both Versions of the Story)

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

The New Testament includes two versions of the story of the death of Judas. Matthew 27:5 tells us that Judas hanged himself, and Acts 1:18 says that Judas fell head-first and was disemboweled from the fall.

Most people might read these passages and see that there is a conflict between these two stories. Since these two stories are contradictory, at least one of them must be untrue, and we would then know that the Bible has at least one error in it.

Christian apologists cannot tolerate any errors in the Bible or in their beliefs, so they must reconcile these two conflicting stories. But how?

I am acquainted with an apologetic that is popular with Jehovah's Witnesses which they use to resolve the two stories of the death of Judas. According to at least two Jehovah's Witnesses I've spoken to, Judas hanged himself like Matthew 27:5 says, but the rope broke. Judas then fell, and the fall disemboweled him like we are told in Acts 1:18.

Question for Debate: Is this apologetic for the death of Judas plausible?

I can think of at least two reasons why the proposed reconciliation of the paradox of the death of Judas is not plausible. For one thing, nowhere does the Bible say that the rope Judas used to hang himself broke. Matthew tells us Judas hanged himself, and if Judas did hang himself, then hanging was the cause of his death. He could not have died that way if the rope broke.

The second objection I can raise is that if Judas fell headfirst like Acts tells us, then he could not have fallen that way if he hanged himself! Unless, of course, apologists wish to argue that Judas hanged himself by his feet.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: The Death of Judas (Both Versions of the Story)

Post #31

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote:Luke is in all probability the writer of Acts, which includes Peter's recounting of the noisy and gruesome end of Judas. Unless one is suggesting Judas was murdered (or accidentily died while out for a peaceful walk to contemplate the wonders of creation), it seems the writer of Acts at some point was fully aware of Judas suicide.
In Matthew, Judas's suicide was an act of contrition. In Luke, he was slain by God in an ironic act of divine judgement. In Matthew, Judas threw the money to the temple because he was wracked with guilt. In Acts, instead of being contrite, he bought a field, in which he was "out for a peaceful walk," as you perceptively worded it, when God caused him to fall and explode. The only reason anyone attempts to harmonize those passages is because they have to be harmonized to preserve inerrancy. When it's all you've got, it has to be good enough, right?
JehovahsWitness wrote:It's unlikely there were any Christians that didn't, both because it no doubt would have been common knowledge in the Christian community and, if available evidence is to be believed, Matthew's gospel was already long in circulation.
Papias notwithstanding, right? Wasn't he a member of the Christian community?
JehovahsWitness wrote:So while there may well have been details that came to light between the wrting of the gospel of Luke (approx 56CE)
More like 85 CE.
JehovahsWitness wrote:and the book of acts (probably no more than 5 or six years later), there's absolutely nothing in the historical record to suggest Luke saw any difficulty with either Matthew's narrative or his own understanding of events.
What are you including in the "historical record?" Even if you ignore the church fathers and only include the gospels themselves, you can't accurately say that. Luke's narrative conflicts with Matthew in a number of important details. Whether Luke had access to Matthew's Gospel is an open question (I think he did), but it doesn't matter whether he changed Matthew's details or if he just heard different stories. The important point is that they're inconsistent.
  • His genealogy is completely different.
  • In Matthew, Jesus's family started in Bethlehem, fled to Egypt, and then settled in Nazareth because they were scared to go back. In Luke, they started in Nazareth and traveled to Bethlehem for the census, then returned to Nazareth.
  • In Matthew, Jesus gave His sermon on a mountain. Luke didn't think that made sense, so he changed it to a "level place."
Those can't plausibly be harmonized, either, but that doesn't stop inerrantists from trying.

Luke also, for some strange reason, didn't think it sounded plausible to have dead people rising from their graves when Jesus died. He (wisely, in my opinion) left that one out.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #32

Post by bjs »

Jagella wrote: Like I said, apologists love to argue semantics!
You changed the passage to say something else, and then built one of your two main arguments around the change that you made. I don’t think this qualifies as apologists wanting to argue semantics.
Jagella wrote: Besides, I thought that Acts was telling us that the disembowelment was the cause of death.
Acts does not say that. It say his “body burst open,� not that he actively disemboweled himself or that disembowelment was the cause of death.
Jagella wrote: I can also take issue with your version of how Judas hanged himself. Why would he lean forward to hang himself? It seems more likely to me that he would have stepped off his "perch," and when the rope became taut, his body would be forced into a vertical position. That vertical position would make a headlong fall unlikely.
Once the rope goes taunt, the body is no longer falling. The fall comes before that.

Also, why do you think it more likely that he stepped off of his perch? I’m not saying that is impossible, but I don’t see it as any more or less likely then him falling forward.

Jagella wrote: Maybe Judas did by chance use an unusually weak rope that could not support his weight. Maybe he did manage to find a cliff and somehow fastened his rope to something above it. As he fell, he may have managed to lean forward into a prone position. After his fatal impact with the ground below, nobody noticed his body for a few days or at least long enough for the heat to cause his body to explode.
I said nothing about the rope breaking.

I think we must assume that anyone who hangs himself something that he could step off of that had a place above where a rope could be tied. Without building gallows, how else does a person hang himself?

Leaning forward does not strike me as particularly difficult.

And I said nothing about an impact with the ground below.

The idea that a body that was hanging out in a field would not be found for a while is no only possible, but likely.

Jagella wrote: In conclusion, I cannot rule out your apologetic.
Then perhaps we have an area of agreement. I cannot prove the scenario I suggested took place, nor do I see any reason to think that it did not take place.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #33

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Difflugia wrote: In Luke, he was slain by God in an ironic act of divine judgement.

I presume you are referring to the book of Acts.

Are you suggesting that Judas death is presented either in Matthew or Acts has a result off a direct execution by God? If so please present your evidence (Acts refers to "his body" falling; it doesnt state whether or not the man was dead prior to this nor does it state God pushed him or caused his body to fall.

Given that most falls are the result of gravity rather than divine intervention, could you explain, from the text, why you attributed the act to God.

Thank you,

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #34

Difflugia wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:So while there may well have been details that came to light between the wrting of the gospel of Luke (approx 56CE)
More like 85 CE.

It is very unlikely that the gospel of Luke was written at so late a date
  • - it is likely that the writer of Acts is refering to the gospel in his forward to Theophilus (Act 1:1,2)

- the narrative of Acts ends abruptly before the death of Paul and was therefore probably written during or around his (Pauls) first incarsaraton around 61 pushing the gospel forward prior to this date

- significantly Acts ends its narrative before destruction of Jerusalem which would have been an uncharacteristic omission had it been written after 70CE

JW

RELATED POSTS

What evidence is available to concerning the bible canon?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 732#838732

Go to other posts related to...

THE BIBLE , HERMENEUTICS* and ... BIBLE AUTHORSHIP & TRANSMISSION
* bible interpretation
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #35

Difflugia wrote: [Luke's] His genealogy is completely different.
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 376#832376
Difflugia wrote: .... dead people rising from their graves when Jesus died. [Luke] ... left that one out.
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 533#775533

JW

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #36

Difflugia wrote:
In Matthew, Jesus's family started in Bethlehem...
Matthews gospel has Jesus born in Bethlehem but he makes no statement as to where Mary and Joseph were married or where they lived for the months prior to that event.

JW

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #37

Post by Jagella »

bjs wrote:You changed the passage to say something else...
No I did not. I read the story in Acts 1:18 and made an honest mistake misunderstanding exactly what headlong means. In my reply to you in Post 18 I included a detailed correction of my error.

Why are you so quick to accuse me of deliberately twisting a story but cannot entertain the probability that Matthew and/or Luke did the same?
...and then built one of your two main arguments around the change that you made.
I'm not sure what argument you are referring to, but the exact position of the body of the falling Judas--whether headfirst or headlong--makes no significant difference to my critique of the apologetic that the story of the death of Judas in Matthew can be sensibly reconciled with the story in Acts. Whether falling headfirst or headlong, it is unlikely that such would be the outcome of a hanging. When people are hanged they almost always fall feet first.

So bjs, that's one of the main parts of my argument. Please address that argument rather than something you come up with that I supposedly said.
Acts does not say that. It say his “body burst open,� not that he actively disemboweled himself or that disembowelment was the cause of death.
Well, if I read that Judas's bowels gushed out and nothing else is said about what happened to him, then sensibly I will conclude that that was the cause of death. Are you seriously saying that after reading that story you were left wondering what was the cause of Judas's death?
Once the rope goes taunt, the body is no longer falling. The fall comes before that.
I'm critiquing the argument made by apologists that the rope Judas used to hang himself broke, and he then fell to his death. Did you read what I said in the OP?
Also, why do you think it more likely that he stepped off of his perch? I’m not saying that is impossible, but I don’t see it as any more or less likely then him falling forward.
Judas stepping off his perch to hang himself seems the natural and most effective thing to do. I see no reason for him to fall forward. Are you saying he fell forward to try to reconcile his hanging with what Luke said in Acts?
I said nothing about the rope breaking.
Again, that's the apologetic I have been critiquing since the OP.
I think we must assume that anyone who hangs himself something that he could step off of that had a place above where a rope could be tied. Without building gallows, how else does a person hang himself?
If Judas did hang himself, then I'd say that the most likely scenario is that Judas tied a rope to a tree limb while he stood on something like a chair. After putting the noose around his neck, he stepped off the chair. The weight of his body supported by his neck in the noose forced his body into a vertical position although he probably flailed for a minute or so until he died.
Leaning forward does not strike me as particularly difficult.
It's unlikely.
And I said nothing about an impact with the ground below.
The apologetic I'm critiquing implies that Judas's body struck the ground causing his insides to burst out.
The idea that a body that was hanging out in a field would not be found for a while is no only possible, but likely.
Why would that be likely? I see no reason why Judas's body could not have been found right away and entombed. If so, then your "exploding corpse" theory doesn't work, and the story in Acts is wrong.
Then perhaps we have an area of agreement. I cannot prove the scenario I suggested took place, nor do I see any reason to think that it did not take place.
I've posted many reasons why what you're arguing is unlikely to be true.

Now that we've scrutinized your argument, please address my argument which is that the very different stories of the death of Judas in Matthew and in Acts result from one of them making up his story. In what way am I likely to be wrong?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #38

Difflugia wrote: In Matthew, Jesus gave His sermon on a mountain. Luke didn't think that made sense, so he changed it to a "level place."...Those can't plausibly be harmonized...
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 82#p944782
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #39

Post by Jagella »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Difflugia wrote: In Matthew, Jesus gave His sermon on a mountain. Luke didn't think that made sense, so he changed it to a "level place."...Those can't plausibly be harmonized...
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 782#944782
I just checked, and Diff is right. Luke contradicts Matthew regarding the location of the Sermon on the (Mount?). Luke 6:17 (NRSV):
He came down with them and stood on a level place, with a great crowd of his disciples and a great multitude of people from all Judea, Jerusalem, and the coast of Tyre and Sidon.
Jesus may have preached this sermon twice, but if he did, then both Matthew and Luke are misleading us leaving out important details about the life of Jesus. We can see that when they wrote about Jesus, they didn't tell the whole story if there was a whole story. It's more likely that they were making up their gospels.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #40

Post by TRANSPONDER »

clintday89 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:42 pm It's interesting to see the different interpretations of the death of Judas in the Bible. It's true that the two versions of the story present different images and explanations, it's natural for people to question which one is more accurate. One apologetic that is often used is that the rope broke and Judas fell and disemboweled, but as you've pointed out, it's not explicitly mentioned in the Bible and also it doesn't explain the apparent contradiction in the cause of death. Another perspective that could be considered, is that the focus of the story is not on the physical death of Judas, but rather on the consequences of his betrayal, the meaning of his act and the outcome of it. The question of ""Did Judas go to heaven"" or not becomes also an interesting topic to debate, but it's not something that can be answered definitively based on these scriptures. The Bible is an ancient text and it can have nuances in the meaning that are hard to reconcile with our modern understanding. Ultimately, it's important to remember that the Bible is a collection of texts that were written in different contexts and for different audiences, and it's always good to keep an open-mind and not be too dogmatic in our interpretation.
That's all very well, but the point here is the wider debate of whether the Bible is believable, because on that depends Abrahamic theism and specifically Christianity.

I've seen a few matters raised above, for example that the Sermons in Matthew and Luke were different sermons given in different places. I of course say that they are taken from a different document and inserted into the original synoptic gospel each had and used in different ways, Matthew having it all in one lump and Luke having about half as a sermon and the rest dotted along the road from Galilee to Perea. And as evidence that they used them in different ways, it is evidence that the most important prayer in Christianity was taught for the first time in both versions, but at the start of the Galilee mission in Matthew but at the end of it in Luke.

Also the nativity was mentioned - again, Matthew and Luke and quite contradictory (so they are not Q but separately invented) and yes, Joseph lived in Galilee before Jesus birth in Luke but in Judea before Jesus' birth in Matthew as they intended to return there after coming back from Egypt.

The point being that already we know that Matthew and Luke are writing contradictory gospels, so why on earth should we credit the far - fetched scenarios trying to reconcile the ways in which Judas supposedly dies?

There are other problems too, such as the talk of Judas buying a field with his money in Acts (surely written by Luke) and he threw the money back at the priests in Matthew before topping himself. And I have seen all the fiddled apologetics - 'The Priests in using his money effectively bought the field For Judas.' No they did not, not in any sensible reading.

And one that is often overlooked but I find most telling are the two 'prophecies' which are the worst in the Gospels.

Matthew cobbles his together out of different (and loosely interpreted) OT passages and Acts (Luke) does (or uses)a wayward mistranslation. I can set this all out if demanded but anyone should be able to compare these prophecies with the OT.

The conclusion is persuasive, or should be; Luke and Matthew made this stuff up and that is why they contradict in almost every way.