"Fear of the LORD"? Or reverence for YHVH.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

"Fear of the LORD"? Or reverence for YHVH.

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Did the ancient Hebrew authors of the Bible really want us to be afraid of God? Or to love and revere Him.

What is the Hebrew word used when it is rendered in English as "fear"?

Whenever I see the expression "fear of the LORD" I read it as "reverence for YHVH". As in, "reverence for YHVH is the beginning of wisdom".

Is my reading that far off?

Also, does God want us to relate to Him out of fear? Or out of love and reverence.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #2

Post by 2timothy316 »

You're correct.

The same form of the word 'to fear' is used in Leviticus 19:3 where it says, "Every one of you shall reverence his mother and his father, and you shall keep My sabbaths; I am Jehovah your God."

Some Bibles even straight up use the word 'fear' rather than 'reverence' or 'honor'.
https://biblehub.com/leviticus/19-3.htm

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

2timothy316 wrote: You're correct.

The same form of the word 'to fear' is used in Leviticus 19:3 where it says, "Every one of you shall reverence his mother and his father, and you shall keep My sabbaths; I am Jehovah your God."

Some Bibles even straight up use the word 'fear' rather than 'reverence' or 'honor'.
How about the other way around? Do you know of any translations that use the word "reverence" where most use the word "fear"?

-YHVH is LORD

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Elijah John wrote:

How about the other way around? Do you know of any translations that use the word "reverence" where most use the word "fear"?
Emphasis MINE
Out of the 27 translations listed at biblehub.com :

11 (respect)
11 (fear)
5 (have reverence /revere)
So the following are "translations that use the word "reverence" where most use the word "fear" (or respect):
New American Standard Bible
'Every one of you shall reverence his mother and his father, and you shall keep My sabbaths; I am the LORD your God.

New King James Version
‘Every one of you shall revere his mother and his father, and keep My Sabbaths: I am the LORD your God.

New American Standard 1977
‘Every one of you shall reverence his mother and his father, and you shall keep My sabbaths; I am the LORD your God.

Brenton Septuagint Translation
Let every one of you reverence his father and his mother; and ye shall keep my sabbaths: I am the Lord your God.

Darby Bible Translation
Ye shall reverence every man his mother, and his father, and my sabbaths shall ye keep: I am Jehovah your God.

The Jehovah's Witness New World Translation uses the word "respect" with fear in the footnote *

“‘Each of you should respect* his mother and his father, and you should keep my sabbaths. I am Jehovah your God. - NWT
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/b/r1/lp-e/nwt ... y=discover

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

LOVE, HATE and ...BIBLICAL FEAR

PS It's very easy to compare various translations if you use this site
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by 2timothy316 »

The fear of God is not the same as fear that leads to distress and anguish. Saul had a deathly fear of David because Jehovah was on David's side. (1 Sam 18:12). This fear led Saul to even murder innocent priest at Nob for helping David. (1 Samuel 22:6-24:22)

Yet the fear or respect/awe of God leads to refuge and blessings. Psalm 31:19 says, "How abundant your goodness is! You have stored it up for those who fear you, and you have shown it before all men, in behalf of those taking refuge in you."

Take the city of Jericho for example in Joshua chapter 2. The people of the city had a morbid dread of Jehovah God. The Bible says they "lost heart". Some Bibles translate this as 'panicking'. However, Rahab and her family were the only ones that had a proper fear of Jehovah. Because of that proper fear she acted boldly and chose Jehovah's side. Not only was her life was spared but also were the lives of her family spared.

Proper fear of God leads a person to obedience an improper fear of God leads a person to death. An improper fear is normally due to the fact that a person knows what they are doing is not in line with Jehovah's commands, like in Saul's case.

Others in Jericho could have been spared if they had turned from their behavior. After all the fact that Joshua and his army was coming was not a surprise. I'm reminded of Nineveh. When they heard that Jehovah was coming to bring them destruction because of their violence, they showed a proper fear of Jehovah and stopped their violent ways. They were spared and were given a blessing too.

So today, when we hear of a commandment do we 'lose heart' or do we spring into action to work in harmony with that commandment? How we react is the key to understanding the fear of Jehovah God. When the time comes for our 'Rahab moment' will we act as Rahab did or as the king of Jericho did?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #6

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Elijah John wrote:

Emphasis MINE

11 (respect)
11 (fear)
So the following are "translations that use the word "reverence" where most use the word "fear" (or respect):
'Every one of you shall reverence his mother and his father, and you shall keep My sabbaths; I am the LORD your God.

New King James Version
‘Every one of you shall revere his mother and his father, and keep My Sabbaths: I am the LORD your God.

‘Every one of you shall reverence his mother and his father, and you shall keep My sabbaths; I am the LORD your God.

Let every one of you reverence his father and his mother; and ye shall keep my sabbaths: I am the Lord your God.

Darby Bible Translation
Ye shall reverence every man his mother, and his father, and my sabbaths shall ye keep: I am Jehovah your God.

The Jehovah's Witness New World Translation uses the word "respect" with fear in the footnote *

“‘Each of you should respect* his mother and his father, and you should keep my sabbaths. I am Jehovah your God. - NWT

All these examples really tell me is that we are supposed to revere our parents, but fear YHVH. The distinction makes a contrast, and that contrast emphasizes that fear is fear, when it comes to the LORD.

So, allow me to rephrase the request. Does anyone know or any translations, (even a few verses within that translation) which use the word "reverence" instead of "fear" in regard to YHVH God?

Thanks for the Bible Hub link. I often use it along with Bible Gateway.

-YHVH is LORD

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Elijah John wrote:
So, allow me to rephrase the request. Does anyone know or any translations, (even a few verses within that translation) which use the word "reverence" instead of "fear" in regard to YHVH God?

No, I don't.

That's not to say there aren't any, but to find them would involve looking up every occurance of "yare"/ "arats"(Hebrew fear/revere)in the bible, selecting all the ones connected with Jehovah/YHWH - there are hundreds - and then comparing all of them in dozens of translations online or the hundreds in existence. I think it's fair to say in connection with God most translations would choose fear/awe or the strongest possible equivalent, according to context, when connected with the Creator.

JW

FEAR

As commonly used, fear means an expectation of harm or pain, generally a painful emotion characterized by alarm, dread, disquiet. However, fear may also mean a calm recognition or consideration of whatever may injure or damage, such recognition causing one to exercise reasoned caution and intelligent foresight.

What is the fear of Jehovah that we should have?

The Bible shows that there is a proper fear and an improper fear. Thus, fear may be wholesome and cause the individual to proceed with due caution in the face of danger, thereby averting disaster, or it may be morbid, destroying hope and weakening a person’s nervous stamina, even to the point of bringing about death. The fear of God is healthful; it is an awe and a profound reverence for the Creator and a wholesome dread of displeasing him. This fear of incurring his displeasure is a result of appreciation of his loving-kindness and goodness together with the realization that he is the Supreme Judge and the Almighty, who has the power to inflict punishment or death upon those who disobey him.​—See AWE; DREAD.
Source https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001500

Further readjng
https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/le ... ongs=h3372
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #8

Post by brianbbs67 »

Elijah John wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Elijah John wrote:

Emphasis MINE

11 (respect)
11 (fear)

New King James Version

Darby Bible Translation

All these examples really tell me is that we are supposed to revere our parents, but fear YHVH. The distinction makes a contrast, and that contrast emphasizes that fear is fear, when it comes to the LORD.

Thanks for the Bible Hub link. I often use it along with Bible Gateway.
Is not YHVH our heavenly father? Just like our earthly parents punishment for disobedience is feared when we are young, we should be afraid of God's judgements against us for disobeying Him, as our heavenly father.

People really fear dictators and despots. They punish for no reason. God provide the rules/reason we may be subject to punishment. He keeps His word and doesn't punish indiscriminately or rashly or even quickly, most of the time. He asks us to repent and follow Him and He will wash us clean as fleece and remember our lawlessness no more. It a reoccurring theme throughout the bible.

onewithhim
Savant

Re: "Fear of the LORD"? Or reverence for YHVH.

Post #9

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

EJ, I think you are right on the money. Jehovah doesn't want us to have a debilitating fear of Him, but for us to love Him. When the scripture says to "fear" God, it means as you inferred, that we should have a healthy fear of making Him sad. It's as simple as that.

Elijah John
Savant

Re: "Fear of the LORD"? Or reverence for YHVH.

Post #10

Post by Elijah John »

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

EJ, I think you are right on the money. Jehovah doesn't want us to have a debilitating fear of Him, but for us to love Him. When the scripture says to "fear" God, it means as you inferred, that we should have a healthy fear of making Him sad. It's as simple as that.
Perhaps the Bible usage of the word "fear" encapsulates the concepts of reverence, respect and awe, all in one word.

It is unfortunate that the Bible uses that word. It feeds into the distorted picture that YHVH's detractors like to paint that He is some kind of monster.

-YHVH is LORD