Was Jesus a good son?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Was Jesus a good son?

Post #1

Post by marco »

We are told that Jesus loves us, and presumably loved his mum and dad. Yet any interaction is minimal; did he ever hug his mother or even talk to his father. We don't know. It would seem that Jesus was keen to play down his family. He wasn't the ideal son, but a man who rejected them. Only at the last minute did he leave his mother in the care of somebody else, having caused her endless pain.

We would have expected Jesus to demonstrate admirably the command: Honour thy parents, but there is precious little of honour in him for his mum and dad.

Was Jesus a good son?

Did he break the commandment?

marco
Savant

Re: Was Jesus a good son?

Post #2

Post by marco »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

From an early age Jesus seems to have been a person who caused his parents pain, like some unruly teenager today. He was remarkably cheeky to them in the single recorded instance of his boyhood behaviour.

Joseph of course is shut out from his life. His mother pleads with him to get some wine for the wedding feast and he reluctantly complies.

Then when his family come to speak to him he declares they're not his real family. He prefers people who give him their full attention. He craves adulation, it seems.

Not a nice son at all. But some people love him today.

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: ...
By what I know, he was perfect son and didn’t break any commandment.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
That's an interesting testimony. One is left to ask, how is that what you know a complete picture? Are you claiming to be omniscient?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

marco
Savant

Post #5

Post by marco »

1213 wrote:

Not by what you "know" but by what you "guess". The references I gave are the ones that provide us with some inkling. I have no evidence that Jesus was a perfect son. Have you? I have given statements that suggest he was not.

SallyF
Guru

Post #6

Post by SallyF »

1213 wrote:
According to some, the Divine Leader broke all 10 commandments;

Scriptures show Jesus broke all the 10 commandments. These ironies exist in the Bible.

The 10 commandments say.

1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
2. You shall not make idols.
3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath day, To keep it holy.
5. Honour your father and your mother.
6. You shall not murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10. You shall not covet.

Jesus broke many of the commandments, If not all!

1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
Jesus tried to claim he was God.
John 10:33 "We are not stoning You for any good work, " said the Jews, "but for blasphemy, Because You, Who are a man, Declare Yourself to be God. "

2. You shall not make idols.
Jesus made a covenant with a cup.
Luke 22:20 In the same way, After supper He took the cup, Saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, Which is poured out for you.

3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
Jesus said every word he spoke came from God. Unless God too was as incoherent as Jesus. God in the OT never spoke in parables. His orders were clear and direct.
Luke 18:34 But the disciples did not understand any of these things. The meaning was hidden from them, And they did not comprehend what He was saying.

4. Remember the Sabbath day, To keep it holy.
Jesus broke the sabbath.
Pharisees accused Him of breaking the Sabbath (Matthew 12:10; Mark 3:2, John 9:14-16).

5. Honour your father and your mother.
Jesus tried to destroy the traditional family.
Matthew 10:35 For I have come to turn ""a man against his father, A daughter against her mother, A daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law"

6. You shall not murder.
Jesus murdered the truth.
Matthew 15:24 He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. "
Yet he spent his entire ministry condemning the very people he was sent to save.

7. You shall not commit adultery.
Jesus was unfaithful to God and his disciples. He left them to die even though he was given all authority over heaven and earth.
Matthew 28:18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me.

8. You shall not steal.
Jesus stole the words of the prophets before him and claimed they pointed to him.
Luke 24:27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, He explained to them what was written in all the Scriptures about Himself.
Then Jesus took them through the writings of Moses and all the prophets, Explaining from all the Scriptures. . . And Jesus explained to them what was said about himself in all the Scriptures, Beginning with the books of Moses and the writings of all the prophets".

9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
Jesus accused God of betraying and forsaking him on the cross.
Matthew 27:46 About the ninth hour, Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, Lema sabachthani? " which means, "My God, My God, Why have you forsaken Me? "

10. You shall not covet.
Jesus suffered from a messiah complex and coveted the title messiah/Christ/Anointed one.
John 17:1 After Jesus said this, He looked toward heaven and prayed:
"Father, The hour has come. Glorify your Son, That your Son may glorify you. 2 For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. 3 Now this is eternal life: that they know you, The only true God, And Jesus Christ, Whom you have sent. 4 I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, Glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

Scriptures tell us Jesus was tried, Convicted and crucified for his blasphemous lies and lunacy. . . . By the Romans. But the confusion continues.

Christians have waited for 2000 years for Jesus's return as he had promised without any success.
Preterists claims Christisns got it wrong, That Jesus returned in 70 AD.
Jehovah's Witnesses claim Jesus returned in 1874 or maybe 1914.
Others say Jesus could be the next thief who robs your house.
Revelation 16:15, Matthew 24:43, 1 Thessalonians 5:2, 1 Thessalonians 5:4, 2 Peter 3:10 ESV - ("Behold, I am coming like a thief in the night! )
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/showt ... p?t=159328

So if we believe that the Jesus character was actually sired by the mythological Jehovah deity who inspired God only knows who to concoct the 10 Commandments ...

Then Jesus was a BAD son for both his human parents AND his mythological parent.

AND he offended the reigning Messiah of his day (Herod) AND the Pax Romana ...

AND was strung up for his troubles ...

AND started a whole bunch of propaganda to distort it and cover it up ...

AND certain folks still believe nowadays that he is their "Redeemer" ...

In my experience.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Menotu
Sage

Post #7

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 1 by marco]

There's a book of Jesus as a kid (I forget which it is) but Christians don't like it (aka ignore it) where Jesus was a brat and disobeyed Joseph. It's interesting that there's not a lot in the modern bible that speaks to 'kid-Jesus'. I would bet he wasn't perfect in any way.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Zzyzx »

Menotu wrote: There's a book of Jesus as a kid (I forget which it is) but Christians don't like it (aka ignore it) where Jesus was a brat and disobeyed Joseph. It's interesting that there's not a lot in the modern bible that speaks to 'kid-Jesus'. I would bet he wasn't perfect in any way.
That would be The Infancy Gospel of Thomas – purportedly Gnostic in origin – not well liked by most Christians:
http://gnosis.org/library/inftoma.htm
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Menotu
Sage

Post #9

Post by Menotu »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Menotu wrote: There's a book of Jesus as a kid (I forget which it is) but Christians don't like it (aka ignore it) where Jesus was a brat and disobeyed Joseph. It's interesting that there's not a lot in the modern bible that speaks to 'kid-Jesus'. I would bet he wasn't perfect in any way.
That would be The Infancy Gospel of Thomas – purportedly Gnostic in origin – not well liked by most Christians:
http://gnosis.org/library/inftoma.htm
Yes thank you! I couldn't remember it.
I wonder why people don't want to have all the available info to make an informed, honest, non-biased decision.
Oh wait, never mind. 8-)

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Zzyzx »

Menotu wrote: I wonder why people don't want to have all the available info to make an informed, honest, non-biased decision.
All available truthful and accurate information is essential to reasoned decision making. There is reasonable doubt concerning the authenticity of the 'Infancy Gospel' -- which is considered to have been written during sixth century or later.

It suffers from much the same defects as biblical stories in general -- lack of venerability.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence