How do we define the umpardonable sin?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

How do we define the umpardonable sin?

Post #1

Post by marco »

In Matthew 12:31 we have: “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.�

Was Jesus just being dramatic here, trying to frighten his listeners? What on earth is "blasphemy against the Spirit"? Did Jesus, somewhere, elaborate on this dramatic statement?

And in what way is such blasphemy worse than, say, mass murder?

WeSee
Banned
Banned

Re: How do we define the umpardonable sin?

Post #151

Post by WeSee »

PinSeeker wrote: [Replying to post 147 by WeSee]

Thank you, WeSee. You pretty much restated exactly what I said way back in Post number 3. See? I could save all you guys soooooo much time. Just listen to PinSeeker. That guy knows what he's talking about. :)
You know. I had read your post. Somehow I didn't get out of your post what I'd written in mine :)

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: How do we define the umpardonable sin?

Post #152

Post by PinSeeker »

WeSee wrote: I had read your post. Somehow I didn't get out of your post what I'd written in mine :)
Yes, one day we will all understand each other as well as we do ourselves. :D

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #153

Post by brianbbs67 »

Yes, one day the law will be written on our hearts and everyone will know. Until then we debate. Although, really, the law is there, where all can read it, if they choose..

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #154

Post by JehovahsWitness »

brianbbs67 wrote: Yes, one day the law will be written on our hearts and everyone will know. Until then we debate. Although, really, the law is there, where all can read it, if they choose..
So you don't have God's law I hour heart?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #155

Post by PinSeeker »

brianbbs67 wrote: Yes, one day the law will be written on our hearts and everyone will know. Until then we debate. Although, really, the law is there, where all can read it, if they choose..
No, it's written on our hearts now. This is why -- for some of us anyway -- our hearts are no longer of stone (like the stone tablets in Moses's day) but hearts of flesh.

WeSee
Banned
Banned

Post #156

Post by WeSee »

[Replying to post 155 by PinSeeker]

Clearly the following has not been fulfilled.

Jeremiah 31
27“Behold, days are coming,� declares the LORD, “when I will sow the house of Israel and the house of Judah with the seed of man and with the seed of beast. 28“As I have watched over them to pluck up, to break down, to overthrow, to destroy and to bring disaster, so I will watch over them to build and to plant,� declares the LORD.
29“In those days they will not say again,
‘The fathers have eaten sour grapes,
And the children’s teeth are set on edge.’
30“But everyone will die for his own iniquity; each man who eats the sour grapes, his teeth will be set on edge.
31“Behold, days are coming,� declares the LORD, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,� declares the LORD. 33“But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,� declares the LORD, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34“They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,� declares the LORD, “for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.�

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #157

Post by brianbbs67 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
So you don't have God's law I hour heart?
Oh no, YHVH's law is written on my heart. Once revealed and known, it is impossible to unsee.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #158

Post by brianbbs67 »

PinSeeker wrote:
No, it's written on our hearts now. This is why -- for some of us anyway -- our hearts are no longer of stone (like the stone tablets in Moses's day) but hearts of flesh.
The stone tablets contained only the decalogue. Their pieces were placed within the arc along with Moses' rewriting of them on stone.

The rest of the law, called the law against us by God, was on parchment/vellum and attached in a cylinder on the outside of the arc. So, we have ten given vocally by God to the people who complained they were to harsh and wished not to hear them any more. So, then God dictated the rest to Moses if we believe Moses. These are the"handwritings of Ordinances against us". The rest of the rules and their punishments. This punishment is what Christ's sacrifice saved us from. He saved not us from the instructions, he saved us from the punishment. We should still obey the instructions that apply where we live today out of respect for God.

marco
Savant

Post #159

Post by marco »

PinSeeker wrote:

Would you be able to say in which language the script appears, and whether one requires an x-ray to decipher the message? I suspect that by "written on our hearts" is meant some really nice people see the rosy tint of dawn in humankind, and scatter their kindness wherever they tread, angels in human bodies. So one attributes the kindness of strangers to the invisible writing of God, while their atrocities are just misinterpretations of the script. All very complicated.

Does this have anything to do with the unpardonable sin? Or is that sin the inability to read writing etched on our hearts?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #160

Post by PinSeeker »

WeSee wrote: Clearly the following has not been fulfilled.
JEREMIAH 31...
It is being fulfilled. People think this means once and for all, a one-time event. That's a great misunderstanding today... it's incorrect. It has been fulfilled for many, is being fulfilled today for many more, and will be fulfilled for many. This will continue to occur until the fullness of the Gentiles is brought in and the partial hardening that is upon Israel is removed and thus all of Israel is saved (Romans 11).

So, it is fulfilled (because it is occurring), but is not yet completed, so it is not yet fulfilled in full.

Grace and peace to you.