What did the Flood accomplish?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

A great deal of time and effort is spent discussing the details of the Genesis Flood. It is easy to focus on those details and yet lose sight of a broader view. In Genesis 6, we find the reason God decided to destroy the earth with a flood:
  • 11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. 13 So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth."
One would expect the narrative after the flood to be one of a renewed earth and of the righteous acts of the family God chose to continue the human race. Instead, the first recorded acts of Noah and family involve drunkenness and a son dishonoring his father. Noah gets drunk, lies naked in his tent, and Ham observes his drunk naked father.

The result is that Noah cursed Ham's offspring. His curse is found in Genesis 9:
  • 24 When Noah awoke from his wine and found out what his youngest son had done to him, 25 he said,
    “Cursed be Canaan!
    The lowest of slaves
    will he be to his brothers.�
If we keep reading Genesis, we find in chapter 11 that Noah's offspring decided to build a tower to reach heaven. For whatever reason, God is not pleased with the people for doing this so he confuses their language and scatters them throughout the earth.

Rather than stories of great renewal and righteousness, we find that humans continued to displease God. The question we are left with is:

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Re: What did the Flood accomplish?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: ….
  • 11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. 13 So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth."
….
It seems to me that we don’t have those people that were destroyed by the flood. so, I would say it accomplished that those people were destroyed as the goal was.

Willum
Savant

Post #3

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 1 by Tcg]

It isn’t recorded in the Bible, for obvious reasons, but Noah and sons were agents of the Serpent of old.

He killed God’s champion, whose name is lost forever, and replaced him, with himself and his family.

That is why evil continued after the flood.
God was duped in the Garden by the serpent, and unable to correct the situation.
He tried again and again, the Serpent showing him how easily his plans were foiled, until the flood, where Noah murdered and replaced God’s champion...
Requiring Jesus, who was also corrupted.

Evidence of that corruption comes from the principle of freewill and when Jesus forced the spirits into swine.

God cannot control folks due to freewill. He obviously could not control Satan or the fallen.
So, the only way Jesus would be able to is because he arranged a pact with them to... fool most of the people most of the time.
Last edited by Willum on Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marco
Savant

Post #4

Post by marco »

1213 wrote:
….
It seems to me that we don’t have those people that were destroyed by the flood. so, I would say it accomplished that those people were destroyed as the goal was.
They would be several thousand years old, 1213. If you think we don't have bad people, let's recall the televised footage of innocent people being beheaded for fun. Apparently little children helped with the decapitations. If we don't actually have the flood victims I believe we have people who are evil, so Yahweh's reported clearance was ineffective. Are we surprised? The flood produced a story that makes many laugh, so it is like a pantomime, providing fun.

FWI
Sage

Post #5

Post by FWI »

* The end of human lifespans reaching into the hundreds and in some cases close to a 1000 years. Thus, the sins of individual man became limited…

* The written laws of God would follow. It is understood that during the period that Adam/Eve were expelled from the garden and before the flood that man had little knowledge of God's laws. Where, those who did adhere to God's given instructions passed them down from generation to generation. They weren't recorded until Moses.

* The realization that there is an "influencing evil force" whose goal is contrary to God's will. This force is still in existence today.

* That deciding for oneself: what is good and what is evil, combined with an anti-God attitude will eventually lead to a future reckoning…

* The creation of the plan of God, which would "eventually" rescue most from the clutches of evil.

* A Covenant of God: And the Lord smelled a soothing aroma. Then the Lord said in His heart, "I will never again curse the ground for man's sake, although the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; nor will I again destroy living things as I have done" (Genesis 8:21).

* The reality that God created the planet earth and that His power and authority over it, is above all that exist…

Willum
Savant

Post #6

Post by Willum »

It drowned all the newborn infants and pregnant mothers.
It drowned every animal and plant.
It caused massive repressurization of the Earth, resulting in tectonic stresses we measure today.
It cause massive discontinuity in the histories of the world, as peoples like the Aztecs were destroyed, and had to be repopulated, then rediscover their old culture and histories.
It caused massive repopulation of all the animals of the Earth. We can see the migration and growth patterns, in for example, people. Ham moved to Africa with his wife, and began to procreate in Egypt, we can see how the population recommenced in Egypt and spread rapidly to the rest of the continent, anthropologically.

We can see rainbows pop up whenever God is thinking about drowning us again, and remembers he promised not to.

It got rid of all the bad people, leaving only us good descendants of Noah.

Good for now?

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote:
….

This is a very interesting answer. That seems to be about all that changed. Some unrighteous people died, while others lived.

Some talk about the flood as if it would have made a dramatic change. This is clearly a misunderstanding because the flood didn't improve anything. People disobeyed God before the flood and they disobeyed God after the flood. Immediately after the flood. You'd think it'd put a bit of fear in those who observed the destruction of everything. You'd expect at least a year or two of good behavior, maybe more.

Violence is still prevalent in the world today. Perhaps like so many of God's plans, it didn't bring about the changes God expected. Or perhaps God never expected any lasting change. He certainly never claimed there would be any.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

Willum wrote:
We can see rainbows pop up whenever God is thinking about drowning us again, and remembers he promised not to.

Perhaps this why Noah and his offspring descended into debauchery and sin so quickly. They had no reason to fear another flood.

Of course today, we descendants of Noah know that the next time God's going to burn the place down. In those days, his promise never to bring a flood again will no longer seem like a great kindness. We'll be begging for water.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

brunumb
Savant

Post #9

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 6 by Willum]
Ham moved to Africa with his wife, and began to procreate in Egypt, we can see how the population recommenced in Egypt and spread rapidly to the rest of the continent, anthropologically.
It's a sobering thought to realise that the population of the earth is the product of rampant incest and in-breeding. Could actually explain a lot.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by ttruscott »

Tcg wrote:What did the Flood accomplish?
For the faithful it proved that even if GOD is judging the whole world and the world is against you and only 8 remain, that HE can and will see you thru. The flood is a real time type for the fulfillment which is the armageddon.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.