Biased Biographical Propaganda

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SallyF
Guru

Biased Biographical Propaganda

Post #1

Post by SallyF »

In my view, the "Gospels" have no input whatsoever from "God".

In my view, the "Gospels" are the biased biographical propaganda of a failed Jewish Messiah.

I note:

This article is concerned with bias and subjectivity in ethnographic research. Since the research in ethnography cannot eliminate biographical determinants, the makeup of the researcher is critical to the quality of the work done. Looking at a number of factors that determine bias, the article suggests ways to move this “bias in biography� toward a new era in anthropology and education. https://anthrosource.onlinelibrary.wile ... 1.04x0762h

And:

What is most obvious is that every biographer has an agenda of his own. A biographer’s take on the life he spotlights is necessarily biased by his own opinions. While this can add colour to the biography, it can sometimes be a really a fine line between fact and fiction- a line that the biographer should ideally not breach. https://www.thecuriousreader.in/feature ... pher-bias/

Are the "Gospels" biased biographical propaganda ...?
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Biased Biographical Propaganda

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

Tart wrote:
SallyF wrote:
Tart wrote: And if we read the words of the early disciples in their epistles, its pretty clear they have solid beliefs that Jesus was the Messiah, and they give their reasoning, they give their prophecies, the law, the witnesses.. They explain everything they believe and why they believe it.
Yes, propaganda is convincing.

But …

If the Jesus propaganda is ALL we have to go on …

We should be VERY careful about what the propagandists tell us about visiting angels and the Holy Ghost inseminating the Blessed Virgin Mary and all the magic supposedly done by the Divine Leader whose biased biographical propaganda they are spreading about.

There is NOTHING outside the propaganda to back up the idea of Magic Jesus.

The early reports of Christianity outside the propaganda do not support Magic Jesus.

Magic Jesus ONLY appears inside his own propaganda …

And the minds of believers.

NOWHERE ELSE ….
Well id have to agree with one of the worlds leading experts on "evidence" for this subject...

"Of the Divine character of the Bible, I think, no man who deals honestly with his own mind and heart can entertain a reasonable doubt, For myself, I must say, that having for many years made the evidences of Christianity the subject of close study, the result has been a firm and increasing conviction of the authenticity and plenary inspiration of the Bible. It is indeed the Word of God."~Simon Greenleef

You found one expert? That small number doesn't even qualify for an appeal to the masses error. It does qualify for an appeal to an authority error though.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by Tart »

Tcg wrote:
Tart wrote:
SallyF wrote:
Tart wrote: And if we read the words of the early disciples in their epistles, its pretty clear they have solid beliefs that Jesus was the Messiah, and they give their reasoning, they give their prophecies, the law, the witnesses.. They explain everything they believe and why they believe it.
Yes, propaganda is convincing.

But …

If the Jesus propaganda is ALL we have to go on …

We should be VERY careful about what the propagandists tell us about visiting angels and the Holy Ghost inseminating the Blessed Virgin Mary and all the magic supposedly done by the Divine Leader whose biased biographical propaganda they are spreading about.

There is NOTHING outside the propaganda to back up the idea of Magic Jesus.

The early reports of Christianity outside the propaganda do not support Magic Jesus.

Magic Jesus ONLY appears inside his own propaganda …

And the minds of believers.

NOWHERE ELSE ….
Well id have to agree with one of the worlds leading experts on "evidence" for this subject...

"Of the Divine character of the Bible, I think, no man who deals honestly with his own mind and heart can entertain a reasonable doubt, For myself, I must say, that having for many years made the evidences of Christianity the subject of close study, the result has been a firm and increasing conviction of the authenticity and plenary inspiration of the Bible. It is indeed the Word of God."~Simon Greenleef

You found one expert? That small number doesn't even qualify for an appeal to the masses error. It does qualify for an appeal to an authority error though.

Tcg
It would be an appeal to authority if i somehow made the case that the Bible is the Word of God BECAUSE Simon Greenleaf believes it... I dont make that case, I simply agree with his conclusion. When i studied the Bible, that is when it convinced me it was the Word of God...

a quote Sally gave was
"We should be VERY careful about what the propagandists tell us about visiting angels and the Holy Ghost inseminating the Blessed Virgin Mary and all the magic supposedly done by the Divine Leader whose biased biographical propaganda they are spreading about."

And i think it is notable that a person in the position of Simon Greenleef converted to Christianity... I mean this is a world leading expert on "evidence", founder of Harvard law school, and while he was in this position he was still an atheist, a non believer, thought that Jesus was just some legend... A student challenged him to study the evidence, he did so, and turned Christian... It is notable...

Tcg
Savant

Post #23

Post by Tcg »

Tart wrote:
And i think it is notable that a person in the position of Simon Greenleef converted to Christianity... I mean this is a world leading expert on "evidence", founder of Harvard law school, and while he was in this position he was still an atheist, a non believer, thought that Jesus was just some legend... A student challenged him to study the evidence, he did so, and turned Christian... It is notable...
Here is a definition of an appeal to authority:
  • Appeal to Authority

Appeal to authority is a common type of fallacy, or an argument based on unsound logic.

When writers or speakers use appeal to authority, they are claiming that something must be true because it is believed by someone who said to be an "authority" on the subject. Whether the person is actually an authority or not, the logic is unsound. Instead of presenting actual evidence, the argument just relies on the credibility of the "authority."

http://www.softschools.com/examples/fal ... mples/430/
In spite of your denial, your argument is a classic example of an appeal to authority.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by Tart »

Tcg wrote:
Tart wrote:
Here is a definition of an appeal to authority:
  • Appeal to Authority

Appeal to authority is a common type of fallacy, or an argument based on unsound logic.

When writers or speakers use appeal to authority, they are claiming that something must be true because it is believed by someone who said to be an "authority" on the subject. Whether the person is actually an authority or not, the logic is unsound. Instead of presenting actual evidence, the argument just relies on the credibility of the "authority."

http://www.softschools.com/examples/fal ... mples/430/
In spite of your denial, your argument is a classic example of an appeal to authority.

Tcg
Not at all.. I don't claim that it is true because Simon Greenleef says so, neither do I believe it because Simon Greenleef says so... I believe the Bible is the Word of God because upon my research of the scripture, I became convinced of its authenticity... I stumbled upon Greenleef perhaps 5 years after the fact, which I completely agree with.

The subject in question is this... Why do you think Greenleef converted? How would a man in such position be convinced by nothing more then propaganda?

Tcg
Savant

Post #25

Post by Tcg »

Tart wrote: [
The subject in question is this... Why do you think Greenleef converted? How would a man in such position be convinced by nothing more then propaganda?

I have no idea. I know nothing about the man.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by Tart »

Tcg wrote:

Tcg
Participation points... You get 1 for your thoughtful reply.

SallyF
Guru

Post #27

Post by SallyF »

Tcg wrote:

Tcg
Greenleef apparently speaks of "evidences" …!

Perhaps we could be presented with just one of them concerning the magical/supernatural/metaphysical/make-believe claimed for the possibly fictional character in his propaganda …?
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Tcg
Savant

Post #28

Post by Tcg »

SallyF wrote:
Greenleef apparently speaks of "evidences" …!

Perhaps we could be presented with just one of them concerning the magical/supernatural/metaphysical/make-believe claimed for the possibly fictional character in his propaganda …?

That would be an worthwhile approach.

A presentation of evidence rather than a name.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #29

Post by Tart »

Ya, so I think the evidence is Christianity itself... The evidences Greenleaf is talking about is the Bible itself, and its authenticity.... There is many pieces of evidence within its scripture.

Ill point to you a video that supports the evidences of prophecy, that is easy to watch, and like only 30 minutes long, here (if you'd like to comment on it, id suggest to watch the entire thin, and don't get hung up on the historical part in the beginning, we can talk about that later if you wish, just assume Jesus was historical for now, for the sake of argument), The most notable prophecy id point to in this scripture is the last one talked about.. The dating of the Messiah.

[youtube][/youtube]

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #30

Post by bluegreenearth »

Tart wrote: Ya, so I think the evidence is Christianity itself... The evidences Greenleaf is talking about is the Bible itself, and its authenticity.... There is many pieces of evidence within its scripture.

Ill point to you a video that supports the evidences of prophecy, that is easy to watch, and like only 30 minutes long, here (if you'd like to comment on it, id suggest to watch the entire thin, and don't get hung up on the historical part in the beginning, we can talk about that later if you wish, just assume Jesus was historical for now, for the sake of argument), The most notable prophecy id point to in this scripture is the last one talked about.. The dating of the Messiah.

[youtube][/youtube]
If someone could demonstrate to your satisfaction that this prophecy claim is unreliable evidence, would that change your confidence in the belief?