God's violent ways

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

God's violent ways

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

The god of the bible tends do deal with sin and evil in very violent ways. Ie, wiping out cities, sending floods, ordering violent deaths, ordering the slaying of animals for sacrifices, sending curses and plagues, etc.

Can you point out any instances in the bible where God deals with sin and evil in non-violent ways?

And I mean God here. Not Jesus.
And there are times God showed mercy and didn't deal with the sin and evil, sure. But when he did, were there non-violent methods used?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: God's violent ways

Post #251

Post by ttruscott »

OnceConvinced wrote: You may see all babies as being evil due to having existed pre-birth, doing evil. I don't. I do not see babies as worthy of being slain along with the evil people.
And I certanily don't see animals as being worthy of death along with the evil humans.
It just seems to me you are attempting to justify extreme immorality and malevolence.
...and it seems to me you are denying, defying, righteousness and justice.
I cannot believe a loving god would be as evil and cruel as you and others are implying.
A properly authorized Judge who is applying the law perfectly justly in righteousness is not being evil and cruel but rather is being just in the law and is being loving to HIS holy Family by banishing the psychopathically evil from this reality to a place of their own. I know most condemned criminals argue against the judge who condemns them but there it is...

[personal emotions ignored]
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #252

Post by Zzyzx »

ttruscott wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: You may see all babies as being evil due to having existed pre-birth, doing evil. I don't. I do not see babies as worthy of being slain along with the evil people.
And I certanily don't see animals as being worthy of death along with the evil humans.
It just seems to me you are attempting to justify extreme immorality and malevolence.
...and it seems to me you are denying, defying, righteousness and justice.
Says someone attempting to justify wholesale killing of infants and children.
ttruscott wrote: A properly authorized Judge who is applying the law perfectly justly
What ‘properly authorized judge’ – authorized by whom?
ttruscott wrote: in righteousness is not being evil and cruel but rather is being just in the law and is being loving to HIS holy Family by banishing the psychopathically evil from this reality to a place of their own. I know most condemned criminals argue against the judge who condemns them but there it is...
Of course, ‘his holy family’ deserves protection from the ‘pathologically evil’ infants and children.

Is ‘his holy family’ so pathetically weak psychologically that they need supernatural protection by genocide?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #253

Post by ttruscott »

OnceConvinced wrote:That makes no sense at all. That would make all the animals guilty of evil as well. What did they do?
In the flood story the animals are included in the death of mankind for the same violence in which men were indulging.

Orthodoxy contends that animals are merely subject to the sinful nature of this creation caused by Adam yet they are said to be a little less evil than the serpent BEFORE Adam ate!!! Verrrrry interesting...

The Hindus of course claim that spirits of evil repute are born into animal bodies to expunge their evil by means of karma. In the Bible I read neither condemnation nor support for this idea except the animals are said to be a little less evil than the serpent BEFORE the serpent beguiled Eve. Since I believe that the serpent and A&E were sinful in the garden before they ate because they were sinners when they were brought / sown here, I think, why not others too, sown into the bodies of animals?

If so, it explains two confusing verses and if not, the Church will just have to go along ignoring these verses as anomalies, GOD's hiccup so to speak.

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #254

Post by ttruscott »

OnceConvinced wrote:Of course it is. It shows us the immorality and cruelty of the judge/executioner.

Why does God choose barbaric and cruel methods over more humane methods?
You suggest that GOD should not pay as they have earned but is allowed only a soft cotton slipping into unawareness as an acceptable option. Sure but GOD has some recompense in mind called justice: Ezekiel 7:9. And mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity: I will recompense thee according to thy ways and thine abominations [that] are in the midst of thee; and ye shall know that I [am] the LORD that smiteth. It sums up as eye for an eye for those outside of mercy. You choose to work evil upon HIS people, you choose to accept the consequences.

Deut 32:35 Vengeance is Mine, and RECOMPENSE; Their foot shall slip in due time; For the day of their calamity is at hand, And the things to come hasten upon them.’

recompense: to repay which in GOD's system is perfectly attuned to the evil committed by the wicked. No calamity happens to a person except as accrued to them by their sin. If you think this is wicked, take it up with HIM...

Tcg
Savant

Post #255

Post by Tcg »

ttruscott wrote:
Tcg wrote:Two?
Surely to be honest to morality, the death of a million psychopathic condemned prisoners who are not able to be rehabilitated should be preferable to the death of only one.

I have no idea what this has to do with our discussion. Nothing in it has referred to a million psychopathic condemned prisoners who are not able to be rehabilitated. We were discussing God ordered genocide.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #256

Post by Zzyzx »

ttruscott wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: That makes no sense at all. That would make all the animals guilty of evil as well. What did they do?
In the flood story the animals are included in the death of mankind for the same violence in which men were indulging.
Yes, of course, those violent lions should have been eating grass instead of gazelles.

Did the flood change their ways?

It is indeed fortunate that we have among us Theists who can point out the obvious evil of violent animals.

Wait. Who supposedly created carnivores?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #257

Post by ttruscott »

Zzyzx wrote: .
ttruscott wrote:
Surely to be honest to morality, the death of a million psychopathic condemned prisoners who are not able to be rehabilitated should be preferable to the death of only one.
Where does one find "a million psychopathic condemned prisoners who are not able to be rehabilitated"?
I most easily find them in the sentence: Matt 25:41 Then He will say to those [people of the nations] on His left, ‘Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

The goats, the devil and his angels aka the demons... one million easily, probably many many more.

Tcg
Savant

Post #258

Post by Tcg »

ttruscott wrote:
The goats, the devil and his angels aka the demons... one million easily, probably many many more.

What does this have to do with the genocides God ordered? That is subject being discussed after all.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #259

Post by ttruscott »

Zzyzx wrote:Says someone attempting to justify wholesale killing of infants and children.
So says someone who thinks GOD is justified in the execution of any group of psychopathic 6,000 year old demons who just happen to have just been born (sown, not created, Matt 13:36-39] on earth as new babies.

A demon is a demon no matter how young a body he has gotten into on earth.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #260

Post by ttruscott »

Tcg wrote:
ttruscott wrote:
I have no idea what this has to do with our discussion. Nothing in it has referred to a million psychopathic condemned prisoners who are not able to be rehabilitated. We were discussing God ordered genocide.
Those under the order of execution were sometimes also those who lived together as one country or culture or language group on earth... Worldly unity is not a cease and desist order to stop the righteous execution of unrepentant sinners.