God's violent ways

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

God's violent ways

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

The god of the bible tends do deal with sin and evil in very violent ways. Ie, wiping out cities, sending floods, ordering violent deaths, ordering the slaying of animals for sacrifices, sending curses and plagues, etc.

Can you point out any instances in the bible where God deals with sin and evil in non-violent ways?

And I mean God here. Not Jesus.
And there are times God showed mercy and didn't deal with the sin and evil, sure. But when he did, were there non-violent methods used?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: God's violent ways

Post #271

Post by OnceConvinced »

ttruscott wrote: . If you think this is wicked, take it up with HIM...
I begged and begged God to help me when I lost my faith ten years ago. Suffered a lot of anguish over it. I got absoutely no reply. What would be the point in taking anything up with a god who ignored me when I needed him most?

All I can do is ask those people such as yourself, what God was thinking. You're all I've got. And not only that but you, Ted claim to have been around long before you were even born, so you should be able to answer all my questions, shouldn't you?

But all I'm seeing so far are justifactions for God's violent and cruel ways. A god who cannot come up with any less barbaric ways to sort ouf his wayward creations.

Perhaps I'm better off not believing in such a monster?
Last edited by OnceConvinced on Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #272

Post by OnceConvinced »

Zzyzx wrote: .
ttruscott wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: That makes no sense at all. That would make all the animals guilty of evil as well. What did they do?
In the flood story the animals are included in the death of mankind for the same violence in which men were indulging.
Yes, of course, those violent lions should have been eating grass instead of gazelles.
I actually wonder what spiders were trying to capture in their webs back in the garden of Eden. Falling leaves?

Zzyzx wrote: Did the flood change their ways?
Supposedly the sin of Adam and Eve corrupted everything. Turned herbivores into carnivores. Made venomous creatures out of non-venomous creatures. Caused deadly viruses and bacteria to start cropping up all over the globe.

But of course for that to happen, the system must have been designed with fatal flaws to begin with. The computer programmer must have put in a self-destruct sub-routine.
Zzyzx wrote: It is indeed fortunate that we have among us Theists who can point out the obvious evil of violent animals.
Next time my cat catches a pretty birdy and tortures it I'll be able to blame that on Adam and Eve.
Zzyzx wrote:
Wait. Who supposedly created carnivores?

Apparently, if creationist documentaries are to be believed, God created animals whose express purpose was to kill and eat other animals just so their populations won't get out of control. Violent methods even when dealing with animals.

sorrento
Student

Post #273

Post by sorrento »

[Replying to post 266 by ttruscott]

You wrote, "..unless the family members are also 6000 year old psychopaths under condemnation for their crimes against GOD."

How many psychopathic babies do you know?
I just hope you are not going to trot out the usual, "Ah, killing the babies and infants prevents then from becoming like their wicked parents, and being children they will go straight to heaven."

I'm sure the little ones just couldn't wait for those nice soldiers to put them to the sword and send them on the express route to La La Land!

Tcg
Savant

Post #274

Post by Tcg »

OnceConvinced wrote:
Apparently, if creationist documentaries are to be believed, God created animals whose express purpose was to kill and eat other animals just so their populations won't get out of control. Violent methods even when dealing with animals.

This is fascinating. You'd think God could run a few calculations to determine the optimal reproduction rates needed and build those into his design. But, as you say, rather than that approach, violence is used.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #275

Post by ttruscott »

sorrento wrote: [Replying to post 266 by ttruscott]

You wrote, "..unless the family members are also 6000 year old psychopaths under condemnation for their crimes against GOD."

How many psychopathic babies do you know?
I just hope you are not going to trot out the usual, "Ah, killing the babies and infants prevents then from becoming like their wicked parents, and being children they will go straight to heaven."

I'm sure the little ones just couldn't wait for those nice soldiers to put them to the sword and send them on the express route to La La Land!
I can't see how the question, the speculation about what I might say and the sarcasm add anything to my suggestions? I'd be glad to answer questions about my meaning...
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #276

Post by ttruscott »

OnceConvinced wrote: Apparently, if creationist documentaries are to be believed, God created animals whose express purpose was to kill and eat other animals just so their populations won't get out of control. Violent methods even when dealing with animals.

I can't find any such creationist documentaries...could you point out some? Most I remember contend that all violence on earth reflects the sinful nature the Fall.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

sorrento
Student

Post #277

Post by sorrento »

[Replying to post 273 by ttruscott]

You wrote,"I can't see how the question, the speculation about what I might say and the sarcasm add anything to my suggestions? I'd be glad to answer questions about my meaning..."

No need, you have made yourself very clear concerning the violence of the biblical god. You have claimed that babies can be demons which justifies your god having babies slaughtered. That is Harry Potter nonsense.
The word psychopath does come to mind, and the god you believe in certainly fits the bill!

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #278

Post by OnceConvinced »

ttruscott wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: Apparently, if creationist documentaries are to be believed, God created animals whose express purpose was to kill and eat other animals just so their populations won't get out of control. Violent methods even when dealing with animals.

I can't find any such creationist documentaries...could you point out some? Most I remember contend that all violence on earth reflects the sinful nature the Fall.
It was some time ago now when I last watched a creationist documentary, which was given to me by a Chrisian work colleague trying to lure me back to Chrstianity. I can't recall the name of it, but it's not the first time I've heard Creationists making such claims. I'm surprised you haven't.

Have you watched many creationist nature documentaries?