Christ and the Multitudes

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SallyF
Guru

Christ and the Multitudes

Post #1

Post by SallyF »

So, who were the multitudes who flocked to hear this guy who was supposedly sired by the Holy Ghost …?

Were they Jews who were convinced and grateful he had come to die for their sins …?

Were they perhaps existing supporters of the deposed David royal family, and the faction Jesus belonged to was well-established and widespread for centuries, and he didn't found a new religion …?
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Christ and the Multitudes

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by SallyF]

Perhaps they were more like this:

Of course creating crowds on paper would take less effort than creating these fakes.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Mithrae »

SallyF wrote: So, who were the multitudes who flocked to hear this guy who was supposedly sired by the Holy Ghost …?
Even based on the biggest 'multitude' enumerated in the gospels, it'd just be some folk from villages within a two or three hour stroll of wherever he'd decided to preach. Or if he'd been near a city, maybe not even one tenth of those within an hour's walk. To fishermen accustomed to the solitude of the open lake, such crowds might have given the impression that Jesus was a massive superstar - that's certainly an impression reflected in the gospels. But based on the few actual numbers provided, he was little more than an interesting diversion.

tam
Savant

Post #4

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
SallyF wrote: Image

So, who were the multitudes who flocked to hear this guy who was supposedly sired by the Holy Ghost …?
People who were hungering and thirsting.

“Very truly I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw the signs I performed but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. 27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.�

Since these same people spoke of their ancestors eating the manna in the desert, these people were Israel. There may also have been some Gentiles in the crowd.

Were they Jews who were convinced and grateful he had come to die for their sins …?
No, even His own apostles did not understand that He had come to do this until after His resurrection.
Were they perhaps existing supporters of the deposed David royal family, and the faction Jesus belonged to was well-established and widespread for centuries, and he didn't found a new religion …?

I'm not sure what you are referring to here.

Once the people (in the same example above) saw the miracle He performed, they believed Him to be the Prophet who is to come into the world (the Messiah; the One Moses spoke about).

After the people saw the sign [Jesus] performed, they began to say, “Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world.� [Jesus] knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself.

(above quotes are from the feeding of the multitude at John 6)

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

SallyF
Guru

Post #5

Post by SallyF »

tam wrote: Peace to you,

“Very truly I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw the signs I performed but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. 27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.�

Since these same people spoke of their ancestors eating the manna in the desert, these people were Israel. There may also have been some Gentiles in the crowd.

No, even His own apostles did not understand that He had come to do this until after His resurrection.

Once the people (in the same example above) saw the miracle He performed, they believed Him to be the Prophet who is to come into the world (the Messiah; the One Moses spoke about).

After the people saw the sign [Jesus] performed, they began to say, “Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world.� [Jesus] knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself.

Peace again to you,
tammy
You are quoting only from the propaganda of the people who were trying to sell the Jesus idea.

If you could demonstrate that any of it was the word of any god, there would be no need to even suspect that we may need to examine just what the propagandists were selling … and just what they may be omitting and distorting.

You have said that the possibly fictional Jesus character was NOT trying to sell the multitudes the idea that he had come to this planet to make himself a human sacrifice the their local god, Jehovah.

That idea is not seeling today, and it certainly would not have had market appeal to his own people in his own time.

Jesus would have been trying to sell himself as the legitimate heir to the throne of David.

He possibly belonged to the Essene faction.

Simple human politics.

Jesus was opposed by the Pharisee and Sadducee factions.

Jews of all factions were dispersed around the Middle East.

Jesus and the Essenes would have had support from existing Jewish communities.

He is most unlikely to have founded a start-up religion, selling himself as a Holy Ghost-sired messiah.

Jesus had NOTHING to sell his contemporaries other than his claim to David descendancy.

Jesus achieved NOTHING remotely messianic for his own people in his own time.

Reading between the lines of the propaganda - which is all we have - we may speculate that his existing power base of Essene hopefuls were expecting the legions of angels and Jesus to rule the world … just as Christians do today, when they expect Jesus to return.

I offer that Jesus was selling himself to an established faction, and when he failed to summon the angels, they punished him and considered him "dead".

He then raised himself from his excommunication/death, by forming a breakaway faction with those who remained loyal to him.

And thence began the cover-up propaganda we have today, with the idea that the angels will appear NEXT time.

It's all quite simple human politics.

If "God" were ever shown to have anything to do with the "scriptures", the hypothesis of human politics would vanish.

Quoting more propaganda/scripture to back propaganda/scripture, does NOT demonstrate that we are dealing with the word of a god.

tam
Savant

Post #6

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
SallyF wrote:
tam wrote: Peace to you,

Peace again to you,
tammy
You are quoting only from the propaganda of the people who were trying to sell the Jesus idea.
Interesting. Where are you getting your information from about the multitudes, then? Or that there even were multitudes?

You have said that the possibly fictional Jesus character was NOT trying to sell the multitudes the idea that he had come to this planet to make himself a human sacrifice the their local god, Jehovah.

This is not at all what I said.

You asked if the multitudes came to Him out of gratitude that He was a sacrifice for theirs sins; I responded that even His apostles did not understand this until after His death and resurrection.

The rest of your hypothesis' boil down to a conspiracy theory with no apparent evidence to back it other than conjecture and opinion - and even that conjecture and opinion is formed from "reading (whatever you want) between the lines" of letters that you do not count as being trustworthy to begin with. All about a person you think might possibly be fictional... which really makes no sense to me at all. If you're going to create a fictional character, why in the world would you need to 'cover something up' about him?

Peace again to you,
tammy

SallyF
Guru

Post #7

Post by SallyF »

tam wrote:

The rest of your hypothesis' boil down to a conspiracy theory with no apparent evidence to back it other than conjecture and opinion - and even that conjecture and opinion is formed from "reading (whatever you want) between the lines" of letters that you do not count as being trustworthy to begin with. All about a person you think might possibly be fictional... which really makes no sense to me at all. If you're going to create a fictional character, why in the world would you need to 'cover something up' about him?
Your last sentence I very much agree with.

But, because I try to be as objective as possible, I must leave the possibility open that the Jesus character is fictional.

Do you do that …?

Because, you see, you have not even begun to demonstrate that the propaganda/scripture came in any way from "God".

You have not addressed this issue at all.

I put it to you that it is conjecture and opinion (and belief and faith) that the mythological Jehovah/Yahweh, or the failed in his own time Jesus, or even the nebulous bird-like Holy Ghost had anything whatsoever to do with the propaganda/scripture.

Given that humans put quill to parchment (and mythological gods put finger to stone) and humans write fantasy and political propaganda and we can't find evidence of the influence of "God" in ANY of the writings …

… I am of the opinion that it is perfectly reasonable to develop HYPOTHESES as to what so-called "scriptures" are about.

Because, as we all know, belief systems are full of charlatans …

… ONE of them even claims that its Divine Leader is God with a capital G …

… can you believe that …?!

And not a shred of evidence outside their propaganda to back their claim.

Surely you would not deny people their right to challenge such a claim …?

BTW, the OP was about whether the Jesus character had an existing power base in the Jewish Diaspora, or did he form a start-up religion.

It would be much appreciated if you addressed the OP.

(In the meantime, I shall go and work on my conspiracy theories. I hear Christianity plans to take over the world for Christ. Scary stuff …!)

tam
Savant

Post #8

Post by tam »

[Replying to post 7 by SallyF]

BTW, the OP was about whether the Jesus character had an existing power base in the Jewish Diaspora, or did he form a start-up religion.

Well, you asked three question in the OP (none of which were 'can you demonstrate that the scriptures are from God'). I responded to them all. The last question is hard to respond to without you fleshing out what you mean. What do you mean by existing power base? Why does it have to be either of those things that you are suggesting: an existing power base or a start-up religion?

Christ did not form a start-up religion. He said worship (by true worshipers) would be done in spirit and in truth. But I do not know what you mean by "existing power base in Jewish diaspora".

Peace again to you.

SallyF
Guru

Post #9

Post by SallyF »

tam wrote:
[Replying to post 7 by SallyF]

Well, you asked three question in the OP (none of which were 'can you demonstrate that the scriptures are from God'). I responded to them all. The last question is hard to respond to without you fleshing out what you mean. What do you mean by existing power base? Why does it have to be either of those things that you are suggesting: an existing power base or a start-up religion?

Christ did not form a start-up religion. He said worship (by true worshipers) would be done in spirit and in truth. But I do not know what you mean by "existing power base in Jewish diaspora".

Peace again to you.

Judaism in the Time of Jesus

Judaism was a Diverse Phenomenon

In Christian circles the Judaism of the time of Jesus has often been thought of as an outward legalistic religion to which the message of Jesus and the early Christians was a complete antithesis. Such a picture has, however, proved to be a blatant caricature. Today the ministry of Jesus is seen rather as a movement within Judaism rather than as something opposed to it. At the same time people have begun to understand how complex and still developing a phenomenon first-century Judaism was.

At the beginning of the Christian era Judaism was divided into several different groups, each of which had its own views concerning the true Jewish way of life. On the other hand, certain basic beliefs were common to them all.

Jewish Groups

At the beginning of the Christian era Judaism was divided into many different groups. These were the Pharisees, the Sadducees, the Essenes, the Zealots - and the Jesus Movement. In spite of differences between them the groups were united by certain basic beliefs.

The Jewish Diaspora

Diaspora means 'dispersion'. The term was used of Jewish communities living outside Palestine.

At the beginning of the Christian era there were Jews living all over the Roman Empire and in the East beyond the frontiers of the Empire. They lived in the country and in the towns, and they came from all social classes and professions. Their customs were known everywhere, even if they were not always regarded favourably. On the other hand, their strict monotheism and high moral standards attracted many, and they often had influential patrons.

Sometimes non-Jews joined the Jewish community. Those who converted and became full members were called proselytes. Becoming a member was preceded by ritual purification (baptism) and in the case of male proselytes by circumcision. At the same time the newcomers committed themselves to observing the commands of the Torah. This was a great deal to ask, and the number of proselytes remained fairly small.

"God-fearers" was the name for non-Jews who instead of becoming proselytes were satisfied with observing the Jewish way of life and taking part in the life of the Jewish community as far as it was possible. This group later become fertile ground for early Christian missionary work.

Diaspora Jews also met in synagogues, the size and manner of construction of which depended on the resources of the community. In large towns there might be several. The head of the synagogue was the spiritual leader and senior teacher of the community. Temporal matters were looked after by the council of elders, the secretary acting as bookkeeper and correspondent. The synagogue servant was responsible for maintaining the property and for keeping order and if necessary he led the prayers.

Besides being a place of worship the synagogue had a Torah school. The synagogue also functioned as a communal meeting-place and as somewhere where people from various professions could meet together.

Graeco-Roman society set its members certain obligations, not all of which could be fulfilled by Torah-observant Jews. Thus they were granted exemptions, for instance in relation to the cult of the emperor and service in the army.

http://www.helsinki.fi/teol/pro/_merenl ... udaism.htm

It's quite simple.

Jesus may have been an Essene, or a similar, pro-David sect.

he discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls in the caves near Qumran in 1947 sparked near endless speculation about the possible connections between the Essenes—purportedly the inhabitants of the settlement—and the birth, nature, and growth of early Christianity. Jesus, the Essenes, and Christian Origins sheds new light on this old question by reexamining the complex relationships among Qumran, the historical Jesus, the Essenes, and Christian origins within first-century Palestinian Judaism.

Author Simon J. Joseph’s careful examination of a number of distinctive passages in the Jesus tradition in light of Qumran-Essene texts focuses on major points of contact between the Qumran-Essene community and early Christianity in four areas of belief and practice: covenant identity, messianism, eschatology, and halakhah (legal interpretation), placing the weight of his argument for continuity and discontinuity on the halakhic topics of divorce, Sabbath, sacrifice, celibacy, and violence.
https://www.baylorpress.com/97814813077 ... n-origins/

And:

The Jewish historian Josephus records that Essenes existed in large numbers, and thousands lived throughout Roman Judaea https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essenes#C ... ristianity

Our conspiracy theory suggests - in the absence of evidence for "God" in the propaganda - that the "multitudes" came from the community Jesus belonged to.

The conspiracy theory suggests he was preaching to the choir.

The conspiracy theory suggests that his fellow Jews did NOT see him as a unique individual, sired by their mythological Jehovah on a human virgin.

The conspiracy theory suggests that he and his father Joseph, and Joseph's father, and Joseph's father's father, and so forth were from the line of deposed David kings.

The conspiracy theory further suggests that - like everyone who was anyone back then - Joseph and his Davidian family passed themselves of as Sons of God.

Quite simple.

A shred of evidence for the Christian-Jewish writings emanating from "God" - especially when certain of them are certain forgeries/pseudepigrapha - would blow the conspiracy theory away.

An absence of evidence should - in my view - raise alarm bells and spawn a slew of conspiracy theories …!

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by JJ50 »

I suspect there is a lot of exaggeration and untruths is the gospel accounts.