On natural phenomena

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Diagoras
Guru

On natural phenomena

Post #1

Post by Diagoras »

Inspired by this quote in the ‘Questions about the earth’ topic, posted in the Science and Religion forum by brunumb:
No phenomena previously attributed to a god has been resolved in favour of a god rather than natural phenomena.
I’m interested in debating this, as I consider the claim as it stands to be truthful. In support of the claim, however, I would like to stress the significance of the word ‘resolved’ as used above. Used as a verb, it is usually defined as ‘to come to a determination; to make up one's mind’, but I think it makes the statement clearer if ‘resolved’ is taken as meaning ‘to establish the truth’ (i.e. confirm, settle, prove).

Therefore, the scope of this debate topic must necessarily exclude unresolved natural phenomena, i.e. ‘things for which there is currently no single, accepted scientific explanation’. An obvious example would be the beginning of the universe: something which science would accept as being currently ‘unresolved’ (although not necessarily unresolvable in the future). On the other hand, the theory of plate tectonics is a ‘single, accepted scientific explanation’ of why we see similar fossil strata on separate coastlines, and find seashells on mountain tops.

So, rewritten slightly, the question for debate is:

“No observed natural phenomena previously attributed to a god has been proven to be explained in favour of a god rather than by natural phenomena.�

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #71

Post by EarthScienceguy »

[Replying to post 60 by Diagoras]

Ah, I did not see this post. Nice try at the math but a better way to calculate it would be like this.

Water has a density of 1000 kg/m3 (try googling)

Humphrey's theory says that the mass of water was 20 times the mass of the universe today.

The mass of the universe today is 3E52 kg so 20 times the mass would be 60 E 52 kg

This means that the volume of the original sphere of water would be 60 E 49 m3

The radius of a sphere can be calculated by the equation r = cube root (3V/4pi) That would give the radius of the sphere to be 167 light years. Well within the event horizon of a black hole.

A curious thing about Humphrey's cosmology the indention that gravity makes in the fabric of space is the result of rotary motion which causes constant acceleration. This acceleration would also give the CBR that is observed. This motion would also get rid of the need for dark matter and it would also solve the cosmological constant problem. All from following what the Bible says happen.

Humphrey's does not theorize this but the Earth Science guy does. Creation of this ball of water could have taken place without the movement of time or the effects of gravity if rotary motion of the cosmos did not start until God said let there be light.

The assumptions of a theory are evaluated on how well they can describe what we observe.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #72

[Replying to post 69 by DrNoGods]
It is because they are not justified in any way whatsoever. You've shown repeatedly in the other discussion about Humphreys' planetary magnetic field "theory" that you think any assumptions are fine no matter how outlandish, as long as they can lead to some result that by pure coincidence might match measurements in a few cases. In no way can you claim that Humphreys' statement that god came along and aligned all of the H-atom nuclear spins in his imaginary balls of water planets is science, or that these are valid assumptions. They are completely made up with no observational or physical support.
That is not true. Using the equation Humphrey's drived he made plenty of predictions that turned out to be correct. Only modern day naturalist have to believe that exact coincidences happen, because of evolution and modern cosmology. Where exact coincidences have to happen all the time, like the cosmological constant problem. But solutions well within the margin of error needs to be explained if a person is trying to discredit a theory. Which no one as far as what I have read has done.

Compare this to something like General Relativity which you are butchering in another thread.

If you have a problem with mine, Dr. Greene's and others interpretation of relativity you are free to join in the fun.
Einstein and his colleagues worked out the mathematics of that hypothesis using known axioms of mathematics and the physics of the day (various tensor definitions, coordinate transformations, etc.). It was all put together within the known laws of physics and it made predictions such as how the precession in the orbit of Mercury could be explained, and that light from distance stars passing close to the sun from our Earth viewpoint would be deflected making the stars appear to be shifted from their positions relative to when the sun was not close to the direct light path from the stars to Earth. There were no assumptions pulled from the hind end (or vague interpretations of bible verses) involved. It is science building on prior science, with no baseless assumptions needed, and subsequently confirmed (repeatedly) by measurements.
Neither of his assumptions can be validated everywhere in the universe. But they can be validated around the Earth and so it is safe to assume they are valid everywhere.

All of the mathematics derived in relativity comes from Einsteins original assumptions. They are not derived from the mathematics. Assumptions are the parameters that indicate which mathematical solutions are correct.

That speaks for itself. You just don't understand how real science works at the most basic level. Assumptions may be needed to formulate a hypothesis, but it is testing, measurements, experiments, analysis, etc. that must confirm the validity of the assumptions within a theory for it to be internally consistent.
This is what i have bee saying the whole time.
It depends on what you are trying to predict. If it was albedo under certain conditions a cheese may measure up pretty well. In your view someone could assume the moon is made of concrete and glass, and since that might produce a mass roughly close to that of the moon you'd say that the assumption is perfectly valid. Then we can go to the moon, collect samples and do measurements, and show that it is not made of concrete and glass (or cheese), thereby invalidating the original assumption.
Yes, exactly!!! The assumption would not be proven incorrect until observations were made to show that it was in correct. Like for example the rings of Saturn, at one time some scientists believed that they were made of gas others believed that they were made of rock. it was not until voyager were the assumptions of the one view discarded.
Humphreys (or any of this type of charlatan) makes assumptions for his own convenience, tries to find some bible reference to justify it (usually all he needs is for there to be water, which he then claims is present at whatever level is needed, at whatever location, in any phase), then creates a "theory" to try and convince people that modern science is consistent with biblical stories. His entire goal is that ... to try and legitimize creationism as actual science.
I will agree that creationist will not accept a theory that is not in line with what the Bible indicates as reality. The Bible is our worldview, I make no bones about that and I am good with that. What you are trying to say is that your worldview is superior to my worldview or another way to put this is that your worldview is a better view or reality than my worldview and I simply do not see it like that at all. Especially with the crazy and outlandish theories that naturalist are putting forward.

Reality is not what they are saying it is so I do not know how you can defend the crazy things cosmology is putting forward today.
His planetary magnetic field "theory" can be shown to be completely false because we know the planets did not start as balls of H2O (a primary assumption he made), and the idea that a god came along and aligned all of the H-atom nuclear spins is just utter nonsense that cannot be tested even if it wasn't utter nonsense. Yet you are happy to believe this kind of thing and call it science, thereby proving you don't really understand how actual science works. An internally consistent theory cannot be based on random assumptions that cannot be verified via tests, experiments, observations, etc.
No you cannot all you can simply say is that they are not made of water today. Modern cosmology actually says that everything that we see today was made of hydrogen. So I am not sure why you think that the original matter used to create everything we see came from hydrogen and oxygen.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #73

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 70 by EarthScienceguy]
Humphrey's theory says that the mass of water was 20 times the mass of the universe today.

Let me correct this for you. First, Humphreys' statement was this:

"According to data in my previous paper, the total mass of the shell of waters is greater than 8.8 × 10^52 kg, more than 20 times the total mass of all the stars in all the galaxies the Hubble Space Telescope can observe."

This is not the entire universe (not that it matters)... but all the galaxies Hubble can see. Second, these numbers are not the result of any theory, but as usual a completely made up nonsensical idea that there is some giant shell of water surrounding the entire universe that he needs to invent to create the center of mass for his gravitational potential well. And what is his justification for this giant shell of water surrounding the universe ... Psalms 148:4:

"Praise him, you highest heavens, and you waters above the heavens!"

So he's taken this vague bible verse and from it justified Fig. 1 in this garbage article (published, or course, at creation.com):

https://creation.com/new-time-dilation- ... -cosmology

He's created, out of nothing but this bible verse, a shell of water surrounding the entire universe. Presto ... countless tons of convenient water at just the right place. Now that he has created this magic shell of H2O, he can then pull the rabbit from the hat and claim he has solved Einstein's field equations and explained everything in the universe.

How you can support this complete nonsense is beyond me. It is the exact opposite of real science in every way. Do you really buy into the idea that Psalms 148.4 means that there is a giant shell of H2O surrounding the universe, or that whoever wrote that verse 2000+ years ago had any idea whatsoever what a universe even was?
Humphrey's does not theorize this but the Earth Science guy does. Creation of this ball of water could have taken place without the movement of time or the effects of gravity if rotary motion of the cosmos did not start until God said let there be light.

Could have? If? You're just following Humphreys' method and making up stuff. Why bother ... you have a god who can do anything so why couldn't he/she/it just poof this giant ball of water into existence on a whim. No need to worry about gravity or time when you have a "creator" handy. This is getting even more ridiculous.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #74

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 71 by EarthScienceguy]
All of the mathematics derived in relativity comes from Einsteins original assumptions. They are not derived from the mathematics. Assumptions are the parameters that indicate which mathematical solutions are correct.

What? I don't even know how to begin to make sense of this word salad.

ToR did not "derive any mathematics." It relied heavily on complicated mathematics which people like Lorentz, Hilbert and many others contributed to. But assumptions are NOT "the parameters that indicate which mathematical solutions are correct." Those parameters are observations, measurements, reproducibility, and all the usual components of the scientific method. Assumptions are just stepping stones to guide the process along the way when they are needed.
Yes, exactly!!! The assumption would not be proven incorrect until observations were made to show that it was in correct.

Then explain how you can defend Humphreys' assumption that the planets started out as balls of H2O, and that god swooped in and aligned all of the H-atom nuclear spins. Neither of these are supported by observations of any kind (especially the second one!).
The Bible is our worldview, I make no bones about that and I am good with that.

Then I rest my case. You are not practicing science ... you are taking the bible as literal truth and then trying to make science fit it. The whole charade carried out by Humphreys and his ilk is to try and legitimize creationism, and other biblical myths like Noah's flood, by pretending these old stories are compatible with, and consistent with, modern science. Unfortunately for you, that battle was lost decades ago.
What you are trying to say is that your worldview is superior to my worldview or another way to put this is that your worldview is a better view or reality than my worldview and I simply do not see it like that at all.

Nope ... it isn't about "worldviews" and opinions. That is why science has been successful at describing nature while religion has not. Your worldview can tell you that 1 cubic cm of water is heavier than 1 cubic cm of lead, but I can make a scale that measures weight here on Earth based on the experimentally determined gravitational constant, or one that compares the mass of two opposing objects on a balanced mechanical system, and prove otherwise. Assumptions have to be validated by observations, not just inferred from bible verses with an assumed license to interpret them however you like.
No you cannot all you can simply say is that they are not made of water today.

Then you have to explain how balls of H2O became what we see today given all of the other knowledge we have on the history of our solar system and how it formed and evolved. Certainly not all of the details are known yet, but it appears to have been a very dynamic and complicated process of accretion, collisions, impacts of all kinds, etc. that eventually settled down into what we have today as a relatively stable system of objects orbiting a central star. There is zero support for any model that starts with individual balls of H2O for planets, that eventually turned into the rocky and gaseous spheres made of many elements that we have today.

The OP is about phenomena previously attributed to a god being proven to actually be explained by said god. Your position is very clearly that there is no need to use science to address this question. The Bible is your worldview, and anything that is in conflict with that is by definition wrong. Fortunately for all of us, that worldview does not control how modern science works.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #75

[Replying to post 72 by DrNoGods]
Let me correct this for you. First, Humphreys' statement was this:

"According to data in my previous paper, the total mass of the shell of waters is greater than 8.8 × 10^52 kg, more than 20 times the total mass of all the stars in all the galaxies the Hubble Space Telescope can observe."
In Humphrey's cosmology there is no need for dark matter because the indention of space that is caused by matter is caused by acceleration of the our three dimensional space. The only mass in the universe then would be observable matter in which he estimated using hubble observations.
Second, these numbers are not the result of any theory, but as usual a completely made up nonsensical idea that there is some giant shell of water surrounding the entire universe that he needs to invent to create the center of mass for his gravitational potential well. And what is his justification for this giant shell of water surrounding the universe ... Psalms 148:4:

"Praise him, you highest heavens, and you waters above the heavens!"

So he's taken this vague bible verse and from it justified Fig. 1 in this garbage article (published, or course, at creation.com):
This is not a vague concept in the creation account. It is also mentioned in Genesis when God separated the waters above from the waters below.

He's created, out of nothing but this bible verse, a shell of water surrounding the entire universe. Presto ... countless tons of convenient water at just the right place. Now that he has created this magic shell of H2O, he can then pull the rabbit from the hat and claim he has solved Einstein's field equations and explained everything in the universe.
I am not sure why you are saying at just the right place, beyond the rim of the observable universe yes. Or I believe a more accurate saying would be beyond all luminous bodies. And this mass of water would create a gravity well in any general relativity matrix.
How you can support this complete nonsense is beyond me. It is the exact opposite of real science in every way. Do you really buy into the idea that Psalms 148.4 means that there is a giant shell of H2O surrounding the universe, or that whoever wrote that verse 2000+ years ago had any idea whatsoever what a universe even was?
Yes they understood what the universe was anyone 2000 years ago did. All one has to do is look at the starry host in the heavens and they can understand that there are is other bodies in the universe besides the Earth. It is not that difficult. They may not have understood the vastness of the universe but understanding the vastness of the universe does not matter. One does not have to understand the vastness to believe that there is water in the heavens above.
Quote:

Could have? If? You're just following Humphreys' method and making up stuff. Why bother ... you have a god who can do anything so why couldn't he/she/it just poof this giant ball of water into existence on a whim. No need to worry about gravity or time when you have a "creator" handy. This is getting even more ridiculous.
Every naturalist theory says that the universe popped into existence in one way or another. That is actually one point everyone agrees on. Actually all theories believe that there was some sort of expansion of matter from a central point. Well, maybe not the belief that we are all part of an alien computer program.

And the big bang theory suggest that everything in the observable universe was made from Hydrogen.

What the Bible is suggesting that the universe was designed by the hand of a designer not radom energy. Random energy would have a very difficult time creating the laws and constants in this universe.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #76

[Replying to post 73 by DrNoGods]
What? I don't even know how to begin to make sense of this word salad.

ToR did not "derive any mathematics." It relied heavily on complicated mathematics which people like Lorentz, Hilbert and many others contributed to. But assumptions are NOT "the parameters that indicate which mathematical solutions are correct." Those parameters are observations, measurements, reproducibility, and all the usual components of the scientific method. Assumptions are just stepping stones to guide the process along the way when they are needed.
One of the assumptions in ToR the that the speed of light is always the same in any frame of reference. So any calcalculation that produces a speed greater than the speed of light is not correct. What if this is not correct and at some percentage speed of light space starts to behave more like newtonian space? We assume that will not happen because of Einstein's original assumption.
Quote:
Yes, exactly!!! The assumption would not be proven incorrect until observations were made to show that it was in correct.

Then explain how you can defend Humphreys' assumption that the planets started out as balls of H2O, and that god swooped in and aligned all of the H-atom nuclear spins. Neither of these are supported by observations of any kind (especially the second one!).
But they are supported by observational evidence, exact coincidences do not happen.
Quote:
The Bible is our worldview, I make no bones about that and I am good with that.

Then I rest my case. You are not practicing science ... you are taking the bible as literal truth and then trying to make science fit it. The whole charade carried out by Humphreys and his ilk is to try and legitimize creationism, and other biblical myths like Noah's flood, by pretending these old stories are compatible with, and consistent with, modern science. Unfortunately for you, that battle was lost decades ago.
And your worldview seem to be naturalism.

Seen any aliens lately. Or maybe someone has asked you to take some pill like they did in the matrix. Can you explain to me how that might work.

Or which Dr. NoGods are you the flat one on the surface of the black hole or the one that is projected into the middle of the black hole.

Yea those sound like modern science to me.

Quote:
What you are trying to say is that your worldview is superior to my worldview or another way to put this is that your worldview is a better view or reality than my worldview and I simply do not see it like that at all.

Nope ... it isn't about "worldviews" and opinions. That is why science has been successful at describing nature while religion has not. Your worldview can tell you that 1 cubic cm of water is heavier than 1 cubic cm of lead, but I can make a scale that measures weight here on Earth based on the experimentally determined gravitational constant, or one that compares the mass of two opposing objects on a balanced mechanical system, and prove otherwise. Assumptions have to be validated by observations, not just inferred from bible verses with an assumed license to interpret them however you like.
And your worldview can tell you that you are in some alien computer. Or there is some good DrnoGods that believes in God. But best of all one of your worldviews says that there are an infinite number of Earth Science Guys. What a great worldview you have.
Quote:
No you cannot all you can simply say is that they are not made of water today.

Then you have to explain how balls of H2O became what we see today given all of the other knowledge we have on the history of our solar system and how it formed and evolved. Certainly not all of the details are known yet, but it appears to have been a very dynamic and complicated process of accretion, collisions, impacts of all kinds, etc. that eventually settled down into what we have today as a relatively stable system of objects orbiting a central star. There is zero support for any model that starts with individual balls of H2O for planets, that eventually turned into the rocky and gaseous spheres made of many elements that we have today.

The OP is about phenomena previously attributed to a god being proven to actually be explained by said god. Your position is very clearly that there is no need to use science to address this question. The Bible is your worldview, and anything that is in conflict with that is by definition wrong. Fortunately for all of us, that worldview does not control how modern science works.
How did the first stars come into existence without supernovas to produce them?

Here is the problem

3. Summary and Conclusion
Molecular clouds with masses ∼ 103 − 104M cannot go through free fall, otherwise star formation rate would be higher than observed. Forces resisting the initiation of self contraction may be listed as thermal pressure forces which balance gravity along field lines; while magnetic, Coriolis and thermal pressure forces do so perpendicular to the field lines. We reviewed the case in subsection 2.1. wherein self–gravity and thermal pressure forces determine the dynamical evolution of a cloud. Inclusion of Lorentz forces clearly showed that the magnetic pressure forces support the cloud against self contraction. This fact manifested itself through the Jeans length. Comparison of marginal stability length scales showed that of two identical clouds the one threaded by a uniform magnetic field requires greater dimensions to collapse. Rotating clouds are even more strongly stable against collapse by self–gravity. Jeans length derived in the presence of self–gravity, magnetic field and rotation should be viewed critically. Because, the term introduced by Coriolis force into the dispersion relation ensures the stability of the cloud almost permanently. One should be extra cautious in interpreting the case wherein Coriolis force is taken into account. In later case, both the necessary and sufficient conditions are to be considered and due assessment is to be given.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf

To overcome this contraction the shock from supernova are theorized.

So star formation without other stars is a little impossible.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #77

Post by Diagoras »

EarthScienceguy wrote: [Replying to post 73 by DrNoGods]

Seen any aliens lately. Or maybe someone has asked you to take some pill like they did in the matrix. Can you explain to me how that might work.

Or which Dr. NoGods are you the flat one on the surface of the black hole or the one that is projected into the middle of the black hole.

Yea those sound like modern science to me.
And your worldview can tell you that you are in some alien computer. Or there is some good DrnoGods that believes in God. But best of all one of your worldviews says that there are an infinite number of Earth Science Guys. What a great worldview you have.
How did the first stars come into existence without supernovas to produce them?

There’s perhaps little value to me in continuing to ask that you stick to topic. I’ll consider this thread ‘closed’ for want of an agreed focus, so won’t post further myself.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #78

[Replying to post 76 by Diagoras]

This is entirely on topic. The topic of the debate that you wanted to have is below.
“No observed natural phenomena previously attributed to a god has been proven to be explained in favour of a god rather than by natural phenomena.�
Interpretations of Observations especially in historical events is all about world views. Everyone as the same observations, what differs is the how these observations are interpreted. But suit yourself.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #79

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 77 by EarthScienceguy]
Everyone as the same observations, what differs is the how these observations are interpreted.

This illustrates the drastic difference between how real science actually works, and how creationists would like it to work. Observations are not just willy nilly open to interpretation. If that were the case then any observations could be interpreted to mean virtually anything you like, making science useless.

For example, Humphreys finds a bible verse that mentions "waters above the heavens", and uses that as a license to claim that the entire universe is surrounded with a boundary of water having a mass more than 20x the mass of all of the galaxies in the visible universe. But there is no evidence whatsoever for that actually being the case, and plenty of reason to believe it is not the case. Same with planets starting out as balls of H2O ... there is zero evidence for this being true, yet he bases an entire "theory" around this completely baseless assumption that he gets from random interpretation of a bible verse.

Compare this to dark matter, which is postulated to exist based on various observations that can be explained by the presence of this mass, despite its exact characteristics not yet being understood. Science doesn't then just make up some description of dark matter that suits a predetermined answer. It continues to make more observations and work on the physics behind what it might be to try and hone in on a correct description of dark matter. People design new experiments to gain more insight into the problem, and new measurements might lead down a different path which prompts more experimentation and observation, and eventually problems are solved through this iterative process and another step is taken towards understanding how nature works. Observations are not open to random interpretation, and valid theories do not arise from baseless assumptions.

Creationism tries to argue, as you just did, that observations are open to interpretation without bound and that simply is not true (not in the world of real science anyway). When an explanation for dark matter is eventually found, you can be sure it won't be based on some random interpretation of a bible verse.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #80

[Replying to post 78 by DrNoGods]
This illustrates the drastic difference between how real science actually works, and how creationists would like it to work. Observations are not just willy nilly open to interpretation. If that were the case then any observations could be interpreted to mean virtually anything you like, making science useless.
I never said anything like you are acerting above. Interpretation of observations have to be able to make accurate predictions of reality. If they cannot make accurate predictions or they become increasing complicated like epicycles in the Ptolemaic system, then these theories are to be discarded.
For example, Humphreys finds a bible verse that mentions "waters above the heavens", and uses that as a license to claim that the entire universe is surrounded with a boundary of water having a mass more than 20x the mass of all of the galaxies in the visible universe. But there is no evidence whatsoever for that actually being the case, and plenty of reason to believe it is not the case. Same with planets starting out as balls of H2O ... there is zero evidence for this being true, yet he bases an entire "theory" around this completely baseless assumption that he gets from random interpretation of a bible verse.
Ok let's look at your example. What type of universe would form if there were the mass of 20 universes around our universe. What observations should we observe and do we observe them?

We should see a very flat universe and that is what we see. If you would like to falsify Humphreys theory you would have to show how present observation is not predicted by Humphreys theory.
Compare this to dark matter, which is postulated to exist based on various observations that can be explained by the presence of this mass, despite its exact characteristics not yet being understood. Science doesn't then just make up some description of dark matter that suits a predetermined answer.
That is exactly did. They made observations that did not fit their models so they pulled dark matter out of thin air. Dark matter is not a predicted substance in any cosmological theory. It is a made up substance that naturalistic theory needs as a fudge mechanism when their observations did not correlate with mathematical predictions. That is just about the worst example you could come up with.

It continues to make more observations and work on the physics behind what it might be to try and hone in on a correct description of dark matter. People design new experiments to gain more insight into the problem, and new measurements might lead down a different path which prompts more experimentation and observation, and eventually problems are solved through this iterative process and another step is taken towards understanding how nature works. Observations are not open to random interpretation, and valid theories do not arise from baseless assumptions.
Dark matter did. Dark matter is an assumptions a fudge factor like Einstein had in his theory of relativity. The only thing that is known about dark matter and dark energy is that there seems to be a repulsive force and an attractive force that is acting on observable matter in the universe. That is the observation. And actually Humphrey's view of the cosmos gets rid of the need for dark matter an and dark energy.

Creationism tries to argue, as you just did, that observations are open to interpretation without bound and that simply is not true (not in the world of real science anyway). When an explanation for dark matter is eventually found, you can be sure it won't be based on some random interpretation of a bible verse.
Observations are open to any interpretation as long as they can make accurate prediction. In fact, it is when scientist like Einstein and Bohr dare not to think like the establishment that great discoveries were made.