Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

Does God suffer emotional pain?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

In another thread:
JehovahsWitness wrote:]
When In the wilderness when the Israelites rebelled, complained, threatened to kill his representatives, and openly defied him time and time again, he fed them, clothed them and protected them and that for 40 years. And dispite the emotional pain they caused him, he didn't renounce on his promise to lead them as a people to the promised land.
Does God suffer emotional pain?
If so would that mean God was not perfect? Why? Why not?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Does God suffer emotional pain?

Post #51

Post by OnceConvinced »

2timothy316 wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:
onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 1 by OnceConvinced]

To suffer emotional pain does not mean that someone is "imperfect." Humans were designed to be emotional people, even being able to shed tears. How can that be construed as imperfection? We have been made "in God's image," so if we can be pained, surely God can, for He made us that way.

Why do you see emotional pain as an indication that someone is imperfect?
A perfect being would have it all together. He'd be able to handle any situation without getting emotional. He would always be in control of his emotions. Nothing would ever be able to hurt him, not even emotionally.
What evidence do you have that what you say is true? Or are you just expressing a personal opinion?
Just the definition of the word perfect is enough, isn't it? If something doesn't have it all together, then they can't be considered perfect by definition

1) having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be.

2) absolute; complete

How can God be absolute and complete if he's hurt emotionally?
2timothy316 wrote: Why am I bringing up this example? Isn't it more beneficial in examining the truth rather than what we think is true?
Yes so we shouldn't just confine ourselves to the bible for truth. We shouldn't just hold it up as the benchmark. We should be looking outside the bible too and if the truth shows us the bible is wrong, we should be willing to admit the bible is wrong.

2timothy316 wrote: What evidence do you have that nothing would hurt a perfect being? Or are you going on 'smell' alone?
If something is perfect it can't be hurt or corrupted in anyway. There would be no way at all it could be compromised in any manner.

I'm fine to say that God is imperfect because he can be hurt emotionally.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #52

Post by PinSeeker »

OnceConvinced wrote: I'm fine to say that God is imperfect because he can be hurt emotionally.
So, to be truly perfect, God should be a full-blooded Vulcan or an android? I see... :)

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #53

Post by 2timothy316 »

OnceConvinced wrote:
Yes so we shouldn't just confine ourselves to the bible for truth.
When it comes to truth about God, I disagree. It has never worked out well for those who looked to themselves or others for insights on the Almighty. They end up worshiping and doing the will of something completely corrupt. But ultimately it is a choice we all must make. To ignore what the Bible says, that God does can be hurt emotionally doesn't make Him weak but lets us know that Jehovah our God can feel, and for many that makes us feel closer. It means that he can show pity for us too because His heart is hurt when our heart is hurt. On the other hand, a god that can't feel emotional pain makes that god seem distant and unrelateable. Psychopaths can't feel emotion and they really struggle to relate with people. My God Jehovah is no psychopath, unable to feel emotion.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #54

Post by OnceConvinced »

2timothy316 wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:
When it comes to truth about God, I disagree.
Ok so we can only ever look for truth with bible-glasses on? That doesn't seem like you're interested in the truth. Just that you want to back up your beliefs you already have.

Isn't it wiser to look at see whether reality backs up the bible? Not just accept the bible as ultimate truth?

2timothy316 wrote:
It has never worked out well for those who looked to themselves or others for insights on the Almighty.
There are millions of Muslims out there who would disagree with you. Not to mention millions of people in other religions who seem quite content.

Who determines whether it worked out well? Did you investigated everyone who ever did this?

I guess a lot of it depends on what you believe "worked out well" entails. We might have a difference of opinion on that one.
2timothy316 wrote: They end up worshiping and doing the will of something completely corrupt.
Says you.

Do you know all these people to be able to make that judgement?

I guess you could come up with some scripture to back up this claim and I wouldn't be able to argue it as this is the "Theology, Doctrine and Dogma" sub forum. But I knw the reality in my own life. I am not a corrupt person and do not server anyone corrupt. In fact I maintain most of the same morals I did as a Christian.

2timothy316 wrote: But ultimately it is a choice we all must make. To ignore what the Bible says,

I for one have never ignored what the bible says. I disagree with a lot of it now. I don't believe a lot of it now, but I certainly haven't ignored it. Near 40 years of dedicated Christiany under my belt and I still check out what it says on a regular basis.
2timothy316 wrote: that God does can be hurt emotionally doesn't make Him weak
In your opinion.
2timothy316 wrote: but lets us know that Jehovah our God can feel, and for many that makes us feel closer. It means that he can show pity for us too because His heart is hurt when our heart is hurt. On the other hand, a god that can't feel emotional pain makes that god seem distant and unrelateable. Psychopaths can't feel emotion and they really struggle to relate with people. My God Jehovah is no psychopath, unable to feel emotion.
I'm not saying God is emotionless. Of course he's not, he shows his wrath throughout the bible, throwing all sorts of terrors on people due to his "righteous anger". So I don't think God is a Vulcan like Pinseeker has jokingly insinuated. :). However allowing one's emotions to get the better of them (like unleashing ones wrath) is a sign of weakness. LLikewise, being emotionally scarred is a weakness.

I guess you and I will never agree on that because we both have differing opinions on it.

Tcg
Savant

Post #55

Post by Tcg »

2timothy316 wrote:
To ignore what the Bible says, that God does can be hurt emotionally doesn't make Him weak but lets us know that Jehovah our God can feel, and for many that makes us feel closer.
It makes him something less than God. He becomes a being that is dependent on others for emotional stability.

Of course you feel closer because he has become something less than God. He has become a human, just like you.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #56

Post by 2timothy316 »

Tcg wrote:
2timothy316 wrote:
To ignore what the Bible says, that God does can be hurt emotionally doesn't make Him weak but lets us know that Jehovah our God can feel, and for many that makes us feel closer.
It makes him something less than God. He becomes a being that is dependent on others for emotional stability.

Of course you feel closer because he has become something less than God. He has become a human, just like you.

Tcg
Yet these are opinions based on what? Where are these teachings coming from? Where did I ever say or the Bible say He is dependent on others for emotional stability? And please don't tell me what I feel because what I feel isn't a factor. I learned about Jehovah God's feelings through the Bible, and its the Bible that is my ultimate authority and has the final say about who God is and what kind of person He is. If the Bible said that He doesn't get emotionally hurt than I'd believe it and whatever my feelings are wouldn't change that fact. Yet that is not what the Bible says. It says that God can 'feel hurt in His heart'. (Gen 6:6) You read that and reject it based on what? Feelings?

Did someone tell you that big boys don't cry? Men are manly and that showing emotion was weakness? 'Real men don't cry' junk that was ingrained in children for who knows how long but is not based in the Bible. The Bible says there is a time to weep. (Ecclesiastes 3:4) Where do you get your teachings? Your feelings or somewhere else? Please, name your source.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #57

Post by JehovahsWitness »

OnceConvinced wrote:
2timothy316 wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:
Ok so we can only ever look for truth with bible-glasses on?
Aren't glasses what one puts on to correct a deficiency? Would you trust a hearts surgeon if he told you his vision was less than perfect but he would be operating on you without his glasses? When it comes to seeing God as He really is, yes we absolutely need our "bible glasses"!

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #58

Post by 2timothy316 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:
2timothy316 wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:
Aren't glasses what one puts on to correct a deficiency? Would you trust a hearts surgeon if he told you his vision was less than perfect but he would be operating on you without his glasses? When it comes to seeing God as He really is, yes we absolutely need our "bible glasses"!

JW
My question always is, if not the Bible than what should we be listening to? We Bible folks always have someone wagging a finger at us saying things like "That doesn't seem like you're interested in the truth. Just that you want to back up your beliefs you already have." Yet the Bible predates my feelings!! Years ago, there were things in the Bible that I didn't want to believe because my lifestyle was not in harmony with what the Bible said. Did I change the Bible to what I wanted? Nope. I changed behavior and faith to what the Bible wanted. Millions such as JW and myself have done this, yet people falsely accuse us of "wanting something to back up our beliefs". They have no idea what they are talking about. The only reason we have backup is because it became backup when we changed our behavior and faith to fit the Bible. Before the Bible I had no backup. I truly was looking for things to backup my faulty lifestyle...the Bible though didn't back me up in those days, so I looked elsewhere. So folks that think they 'get me', they do not. I know more about their sources than they do about mine because I used to be like them. I have been on both sides of the fence and the side without the Bible is barren and dry with people trying to catch the air with their bare hands.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #59

Post by OnceConvinced »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:
2timothy316 wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:

JW
When I say "bible glasses" I am talking about bias. Is that what you are advocating?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #60

Post by JehovahsWitness »

OnceConvinced wrote:
When I say "bible glasses" I am talking about bias. Is that what you are advocating?

When I say say "bible glasses" I am talking about correcting bias. Isn't that what we all should want ?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8