How would the resurrection prove that Jesus is God anyway?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Argument from contradiction applies here.

If Jesus is not God then he cannot justly pay for crimes against God.

Jesus does justly pay for crimes against God.

Therefore Jesus is God.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Re: How would the resurrection prove that Jesus is God anywa

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Argument from contradiction applies here.

Therefore Jesus is God.
This is an odd intro to a thread. The only question asked is in the title of the thread and it refers to the resurrection. The text of the thread doesn't refer to the resurrection.

Line 3 is an unsupported claim that the conclusion, line 4, is based on. I'm not sure what is to be discussed? The resurrection, which isn't part of your argument, or the unsupported assertion which your argument relies on?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by PinSeeker »

[Replying to post 2 by Tcg]

Not "odd," just different than the usual. He makes some statement and invites argument and debate. That's kind of what this board is all about, isn't it?

Now. All you're doing is refuting his statements and offering nothing. Which would qualify your response to his invitation as empty. And odd. Merely stating that what he says is unsupported without making any kind of case is just... well, it's worthless.

So take a shot. Before you do, though, it might behoove you to remember that in this forum, God's Word, the Bible, is to be assumed true.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 3 by PinSeeker]

Nope, it is odd for the reasons I outlined.

Yes, I know what sub-forum I am in. It's odd that the author of the O.P. could have used the Bible to support their unsupported assertion, but didn't even attempt that.

It's also odd that in your attempt to defend this odd attempt to start a discussion, you couldn't explain what it is attempting to discuss either. It will remain a mystery until the author of the O.P attempts to clarify, if that indeed happens.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #5

Post by Divine Insight »

PinSeeker wrote: So take a shot. Before you do, though, it might behoove you to remember that in this forum, God's Word, the Bible, is to be assumed true.
The problem is that if it's assumed that the Bible is true then this renders this entire forum meaningless.

The Bible says that God spoke from the clouds proclaiming Jesus to be his Son. Therefore if we need to accept that this is true there's nothing to debate.

This is why this forum, as well as any academic institution that assumes the Bible is true without verifying that it is indeed true is is absolutely meaningless.

This becomes nothing more than a faith-based "Bible School', where anyone who refuses to believe in this religion gets tossed out on their ear.

Moreover to make matters far worse, the forum title "Theology, Doctrine, and Dogma". Therefore we must accept that the Qur'an is the ultimate authority and complete truth as well. How is that going to work?

And even if we stick with Christianity we still have different Theologies, Doctrines, and Dogmas within Christianity.

For example, the Catholics believe that the Pope plays a special role as spokesperson and interpreter of God's Word. The Christian Protestants protested against that years ago.

So which Theology, Doctrine, and Dogma do we go by? Catholicism? Or the many disagreeing protesting Protestantisms?

They can't all be true. For it they were they wouldn't be at each other's throats like mad dogs.

So it's really meaningless to claim that any Theology, Doctrine, or Dogma must be accepted as "Truth". There would be nothing more to say about it once that ultimatum has been decreed.

Mark 9:7 And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

Luke 9:35 And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

If these verses must be accepted as truth, there simply isn't much to debate, save for theists arguing with each other over the countless self-contradictory details of the rest of the texts. Which of course they have been doing since the birth of this religion. No two theists can ever agree on much of anything. Even theists within a single denomination have disagreements over the details.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #6

Post by brianbbs67 »

Therefore Jesus is God.
What if Jesus did not die for our sins but died as many prophets of God did?(cruel men wanting there own rule and rejecting God) If we believe the whole book, every man will be held accountable for every action, hidden or not. Revelations. And the OT. So, what or why did he die for really? It can't be for our sins as we are still accountable. He died for speaking the truth. That is a very dangerous thing in this world.

Avoice
Guru

Post #7

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to post 5 by Divine Insight]

Oh...there is plenty to debate. A cloud covered them ....the "voice"'said this is my son hear him.
Did the voice point to jesus? We know God said to listen to Moses. To obey the laws given to Moses.
Truth is you want tvto be Jesus so that's what you say. The fact is the voice didn't tell you which one he was talking about. However God has told us whobto listen Tom. The answer is Moses. Or don't you believe God when he said to listen to Moses?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #8

Post by Elijah John »

Therefore Jesus is God.
Seems like circular reasoning, but this is TD&D so it seems we are allowed to take Paul's theological interpretation of the crucifiction/resurrection as an established truth.

JWs also believe that Jesus died to "pay for" our sins. Yet they do not reach the same conclusion. They do not agree that Jesus is God. Why is that? They simply believe that Jesus was the perfect man, the perfect sacrifice.

And let's consider the title of your thread, which really seems unrelated to the content of your OP.

Seems to me, it wouldn't.

After all, it was God (the Father) who did the raising. Jesus did not raise himself. And everyone is supposed to be raised on the last day, Jesus was simply the first. Does that make all of us God too?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #9

Post by Elijah John »

Also, it's an odd notion Paul has here. He seems to see the resurrection as proof that God accepted Jesus sacrifice on the cross, and that sin had been paid for. Where does he get this? Certainly not in any teaching from the Hebrew Bible or from Judaism for that matter. And not from any teaching of Jesus himself.

And where does Paul ever cite the resurrection as proof that Jesus is God? I don't recall Paul ever having done so. Not even Paul.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by PinSeeker »

Divine Insight wrote: The problem is that if it's assumed that the Bible is true then this renders this entire forum meaningless.
Well, meaningless to you, for sure.
Divine Insight wrote: Even theists within a single denomination have disagreements over the details.
But they don't disagree on whether what they're reading is true or not.

To you and Tcg both, if you want to argue about whether the Bible is true or not, the Apologetics sub-forum is geared specifically for that. You know that, I'm sure. Have at it.