How would the resurrection prove that Jesus is God anyway?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

How would the resurrection prove that Jesus is God anyway?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Argument from contradiction applies here.

If Jesus is not God then he cannot justly pay for crimes against God.

Jesus does justly pay for crimes against God.

Therefore Jesus is God.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

onewithhim
Savant

Re: How would the resurrection prove that Jesus is God anywa

Post #31

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Argument from contradiction applies here.

If Jesus is not God then he cannot justly pay for crimes against God.

Jesus does justly pay for crimes against God.

Therefore Jesus is God.
No. The Bible does not say that God has to pay for crimes against God. If you think it does, please show me where it says that.

The Bible says that a perfect MAN had to balance the scales of justice, to negate what perfect Adam caused.

"If by one man's trespass many died, how much more did the grace of God and his free gift by the grace of the ONE MAN, JESUS CHRIST, abound to many!...So, then, as through one trespass the result to men of all sorts was condemnation, so too through one act of justification the result to men of all sorts is their being declared righteous for life. For just as through the disobedience of the one man [Adam] many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one person [Christ] many will be made righteous." (Romans 5:15,18,19)

Reasons (besides the fact that a perfect man and not God Himself would have to redeem mankind) why Jesus could not be God:

1) He became a man and lived on the earth. God is too magnificent to reduce Himself to becoming a human on a tiny speck of a planet; He is the Source of all life, and everything in the universe, and He has clearly said that "no man may see me and live." John 1:18 also says that "No man has seen God at any time."

2) Adam was disobedient, but Christ was OBEDIENT. To whom was he obedient? He was obeying somebody, and surely not himself! The fact that he obeyed another---the Father---shows that he had to do what the Father said, and because he had to obey the Father, Jesus could not be God. God does not obey anybody else. So who, obviously, is God? Jesus said it himself, when praying to the Father: "YOU [are] the only true God." (John 17:3)

I never heard anyone say that the Resurrection proved that Jesus is God. Actually, it proves that Jesus could NOT be God, because God brought him back to life. If he was really dead, he could not bring himself back to life. "God raised him up from the dead." (Acts 3:15)

onewithhim
Savant

Re: How would the resurrection prove that Jesus is God anywa

Post #32

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 7 by Avoice]

God plainly said to listen to Jesus, His Son. It wasn't anybody else that God was referring to.

"After being baptized, Jesus immediately came up from the water; and look! the heavens were opened up, and he saw God's spirit descending like a dove and coming upon him. Look! Also, a voice from the heavens said: 'This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved.'" (Matthew 3:16,17) Then after Jesus' transfiguration, God said again, "This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved. Listen to him." (Matthew 17:5)

I'm wondering why you think that it was Moses that God said this about.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #33

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 9 by Elijah John]

EJ, I have always thought that what Jesus said at Matthew 20:28 was a statement from him that he gave his life as the ransom:

"The Son of man came, not to be ministered to, but to minister and to give his life as a ransom in exchange for many."