Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Jesus was a human no sort of god

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

I am of the opinion that a man called 'Jesus' existed, he was probably intelligent with a commanding personality, which made him stand out from the crowd, but like the rest of us was a mixture of good and not so good. The gospels writers used Jesus as their figurehead when creating the character of the promised messiah. I believe much of what they attributed to Jesus was either highly exaggerated or untrue, like the virgin birth and the resurrection myths. However, it is possible some things were factual, like him having a high opinion of himself, a very human condition, if not a pleasant one. As a kid he supposedly went off to the Temple to 'impress' the elders with him knowledge, without asking his parents permission, which was very naughty. Maybe they grounded him until he was 30, when he came to public attention. Jesus could have been a clever magician, the so called miracles were possibly nothing more than magic tricks, which took in the gullible. The exorcism nonsense did him no credit at all, as it caused a herd of pigs to fall over a cliff, animal cruelty, and harmful to the pig farmer, who presumably didn't get any compensation. Telling people to leave their responsibilities to follow him was stupid and very wrong. I can see why he angered the religious hierarchy of the day, not that was any excuse for having him crucified.

All in all I think he would have been an interesting person to get to know, but certainly not deserving of worship and adoration.

Savant

Re: Jesus was a human no sort of god

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

JJ50 wrote: I am of the opinion that a man called 'Jesus' existed, he was probably intelligent with a commanding personality, which made him stand out from the crowd, but like the rest of us was a mixture of good and not so good. The gospels writers used Jesus as their figurehead when creating the character of the promised messiah. I believe much of what they attributed to Jesus was either highly exaggerated or untrue, like the virgin birth and the resurrection myths. However, it is possible some things were factual, like him having a high opinion of himself, a very human condition, if not a pleasant one. As a kid he supposedly went off to the Temple to 'impress' the elders with him knowledge, without asking his parents permission, which was very naughty. Maybe they grounded him until he was 30, when he came to public attention. Jesus could have been a clever magician, the so called miracles were possibly nothing more than magic tricks, which took in the gullible. The exorcism nonsense did him no credit at all, as it caused a herd of pigs to fall over a cliff, animal cruelty, and harmful to the pig farmer, who presumably didn't get any compensation. Telling people to leave their responsibilities to follow him was stupid and very wrong. I can see why he angered the religious hierarchy of the day, not that was any excuse for having him crucified.

All in all I think he would have been an interesting person to get to know, but certainly not deserving of worship and adoration.
Do you have some debate question, or are you just preaching your beliefs?

Avoice
Guru

Post #3

Post by Avoice »

Sure it's a debate question. Just not in the form of a question.

As for Jesus hanging out in the temple and being left behind...c'mon readers how could that be? and If Mary was supposedly told how important jesus was do you think she'd take off and leave him behind. A whole days journey then realized the savior if the world....hey, where is that kid? Ah geez...we forget the savior. In a Mel Brooks movie yes.

As for Jesus' miracles...big deal. God told us that he allows people powers to test us. To see if we will listen to another voice.

I agree with the poster. He may have been real and just full of himself and the ignorant hung on his every word. Rather they interoretee things he said the way they wanted to hear it.

That's jesus' whole thing. He alludes to things and people's imagination and hearts desire do the rest.

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

Avoice wrote: Sure it's a debate question. Just not in the form of a question.

As for Jesus hanging out in the temple and being left behind...c'mon readers how could that be? and If Mary was supposedly told how important jesus was do you think she'd take off and leave him behind. A whole days journey then realized the savior if the world....hey, where is that kid? Ah geez...we forget the savior. In a Mel Brooks movie yes.

As for Jesus' miracles...big deal. God told us that he allows people powers to test us. To see if we will listen to another voice.

I agree with the poster. He may have been real and just full of himself and the ignorant hung on his every word. Rather they interoretee things he said the way they wanted to hear it.

That's jesus' whole thing. He alludes to things and people's imagination and hearts desire do the rest.
My understanding of Jewish tradition is that a boy goes to temple with mother and comes back with father. Also parents don't leave together.

Actually this is part of the power of this story. Joseph knew he was not the father and so didn't expect Jesus to leave the temple with him and Mary expected Jesus to be with his father.

And guess what, she was right, he was with his Father.

But because of this tradition neither parent realised Jesus was in the temple still because they travel separately.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote:
My understanding of Jewish tradition is that a boy goes to temple with mother and comes back with father. Also parents don't leave together.
What is this understanding based on?

Actually this is part of the power of this story. Joseph knew he was not the father and so didn't expect Jesus to leave the temple with him and Mary expected Jesus to be with his father.
Odd that the text mentions nothing of this.

And guess what, she was right, he was with his Father.
Jesus didn't state this. In fact no one did. Jesus said that he had to be about his father's business. To be with his alleged father would require him to enter the Holy of Holies. Are you suggesting the priests allowed him to do so?

But because of this tradition neither parent realised Jesus was in the temple still because they travel separately.
They traveled separately? Was this part of the "tradition" you've provided no support for or simply a necessary assumption based on the explanation you've adopted to explain why Joseph and Mary left their holy child behind?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Wootah wrote:

Interesting, do you have any idea when this tradition developed? Do you have a reference?

Thanks,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8