Jesus read and write

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Donray
Guru

Jesus read and write

Post #1

Post by Donray »

Did Jesus know how to read and write and if so in what language?

Donray
Guru

Post #21

Post by Donray »

Jesus could have written his stuff on gold plates like Smith found.

Jesus was from a poor family and place and most likely could not read or write.

Why was nothing written while he lived? Why was only something written by anonymous people 50 plus after he died. There are zero first hand writings.

Tcg
Savant

Post #22

Post by Tcg »

Smythe wrote:
The conclusion must be that he did not view a written legacy as important.
Perhaps because he was under the mistaken impression that he'd be returning soon.

It seems to me that his intended legacy must then have been how he lived: love God, love your neighbor, love each other as I have loved you. Easy to pass down through one's own actions, writing unnecessary.
Sure, to those who were around to observe his actions. A couple thousand years latter this method clearly has weaknesses.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Smythe
Student

Post #23

Post by Smythe »

[Replying to post 22 by Tcg]

As the early Church realized, even after a few decades.

The point is, what we view at the N.T. was created by these early Christians as a way of helping preserve and pass on the message of Jesus. I do not think (nor does what evidence we have support the idea) that it was dictated directly from the mouth of God as the message in and of itself. If the latter had been the intent, there would be no point in having it written by a handful of other people, second hand, decades from the events, rather than from the man himself.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #24

Post by brianbbs67 »

Tcg wrote:
Smythe wrote:
The conclusion must be that he did not view a written legacy as important.
Perhaps because he was under the mistaken impression that he'd be returning soon.

It seems to me that his intended legacy must then have been how he lived: love God, love your neighbor, love each other as I have loved you. Easy to pass down through one's own actions, writing unnecessary.
Sure, to those who were around to observe his actions. A couple thousand years latter this method clearly has weaknesses.

Tcg
I like that. Nothing wrong in being good and doing good. Isn't that the whole message?