Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

“Jesus suffered and died for our sins�

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

“Jesus suffered and died for our sins�

Everyone dies sooner or later. Some are heroic. So what?

Many characters in ancient tales are said to have died heroically, what is special about Jesus?

Many people in real life suffer far more than is claimed for Jesus. Why is his suffering a big deal?

If a person in an insane asylum says they intend to become a martyr to ‘save’ everyone, are they a hero or a 'god'?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

bjs
Prodigy

Post #11

Post by bjs »

Zzyzx wrote:
bjs wrote: I did not claim to know the mind of this God. If you wish to know more about metaphysics, I recommend reading Plato and Thomas Aquinas.
I have no desire to know about imaginary beings through study of metaphysics.
Then why did you ask?
Zzyzx wrote: It is rare that we are in agreement regarding theological matters.
I am always glad when we can find common ground.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Tcg
Savant

Re: “Jesus suffered and died for our sins�

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

Zzyzx wrote:

Many people in real life suffer far more than is claimed for Jesus. Why is his suffering a big deal?

If Jesus was God, his suffering would be decreased to insignificance.

Being God, he of course didn't actually die. As much as we hear about his death, even more, we hear tales of the living Christ. According to some, he even gained a better body after his "death." He lost nothing.

Additionally, a 33 year long sojourn would be an instantaneous flash for an eternal being. Six hours of suffering, absurdly less. Time becomes impossible to calculate in view of eternity, but perhaps this can be compared to a mortal being suffering for a millisecond or two.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Zzyzx »

bjs wrote: The opening post in this thread was about the nature of Jesus’ sacrifice, not proving that Christian doctrine to be true.
Okay. Tell us all about Jesus' suffering. Did it last for HOURS? Was it equal to torture inflicted by his followers during the famous Inquisition?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Avoice
Guru

Post #14

Post by Avoice »

Sooooo.....
We can kill God. Hmmmm

Rolling my eyes

Savant

Re: “Jesus suffered and died for our sins�

Post #15

Post by 1213 »

Zzyzx wrote: ...Many people in real life suffer far more than is claimed for Jesus. Why is his suffering a big deal?...
Please give one example of person who has suffered more and how can we know it?

I don’t think the greatness of Jesus is because of the suffering, all though I think it was very impressive and I don’t think I could have done the same.

otseng
Savant

Post #16

Post by otseng »

Avoice wrote: Sooooo.....
We can kill God. Hmmmm
Rolling my eyes
Moderator Comment

Though not technically a one-liner. It is however a frivolous and dismissive comment that does not advance the debate.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.