Detailing Biblical Creation Mythology

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SallyF
Guru

Detailing Biblical Creation Mythology

Post #1

Post by SallyF »

My Sunday school teachers and Bible class instructors used to quite happily go through the details of how "God" created the universe and everything in it.

I have noticed, in more recent years, that folks who still call themselves Christian avoid discussing the details of the two biblical creation mythologies.

They will go ON and On at length about the science of evolution, but not a squeak on the details in the "Word of God".

When Christians do not discuss the details of biblical creation, why would that be …?
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Detailing Biblical Creation Mythology

Post #71

Post by JehovahsWitness »

THE BIG BANG?
rondonmonson wrote:

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning (TIME) God created the heaven(SPACE) and the earth(MATTER)

I like that, yes the opening line of the bible is supported by the current scientific concensus, namely that that the universe did indeed have a beginning. That said the OP asks about biblical mythology so since this refers to scientifically supported biblical reality, it strictly speaking doesn't belong in this thread.

Maybe you might be interesting in contributing to the thread below that I posted in, which asked about the real GENESIS story

LINK
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 529#982529
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #72

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 71 by JehovahsWitness]

Well, I suppose you would, however, matter does not need creation, we learned that in high school. In fact modern sciences rest upon the principle, never seen to be violated, that mass is never created or destroyed, only transformed. Now though you will probably come up with some second hand argument against that, surely you must agree that space/nothing, does not need to be created?

Anyway, conservation of mass, discovered in the 1800's. The road upon which electromagnetism, chemistry, virtually every modern application rests, is still very far ahead of the most advanced religion.

Just think if we had to assume mass could be created or destroyed, that would be great proof of God, but without creation, we have excellent proof there is no God.

SallyF
Guru

Post #73

Post by SallyF »

JehovahsWitness wrote: THE BIG BANG?
rondonmonson wrote:

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning (TIME) God created the heaven(SPACE) and the earth(MATTER)

I like that, yes the opening line of the bible is supported by the current scientific concensus, namely that that the universe did indeed have a beginning. That said the OP asks about biblical mythology so since this refers to scientifically supported biblical reality, it strictly speaking doesn't belong in this thread.

Maybe you might be interesting in contributing to the thread below that I posted in, which asked about the real GENESIS story

LINK
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 529#982529

That claim is quite incorrect, in my experience.

I know of NO scientific anything for "God created" …

"God" in this case being the mythological Canaanite Elohim gods.

I know of no scientific anything for "Heaven" …

A few lines further down in the myth, we find that "Heaven" is the name the mythographers gave to the dome of air they imagined the imaginary Elohim opened up in the waters of the universe.

A few lines further down in the myth, we find that the mythographers describe how the Earth came about …

I know of no scientific anything to support that primitive imagining.

The above claim is a distortion of both mythology and science.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Tcg
Savant

Post #74

Post by Tcg »

rondonmonson wrote:
On the Sixth Day around 300–350 Million BC God created the Land Animals. During this period of time the Dinosaurs became extinct about 70 Million years ago. Then during this “TIME PERIOD� (6TH DAY) God decided to create man 6000 or so years ago. Some people might protest that men have been around much longer, but I offer this up, where is the data? Men are record keepers and we don’t have proof of men going back further.
What do you make of the Lascaux cave paintings found in southwestern France estimated to be 17,000 years old?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lascaux

Now as per “MEN� being observed by scientists to have been around X Number of years, I never said animal like men weren’t around, I stated Human Beings were created 6000 years ago, when God placed His spirit in us and thus we became immortal in that our souls can not die. We were, at that point in time “Created in Gods Image�. The other fossils and bones mean nothing, because scientists have no way of testing for God imparting His spirit into mankind and creating “Human Beings� with powerful intellects.
If "scientists have no way of testing for God imparting His spirit into mankind", what verifiable evidence can you provide that this ever happened at all?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #75

Post by Tcg »

Willum wrote:
Well, I suppose you would, however, matter does not need creation, we learned that in high school. In fact modern sciences rest upon the principle, never seen to be violated, that mass is never created or destroyed, only transformed.

This agrees with every description of the Big Bang I've ever read. It is described as the beginning of the universe as we know it, not the beginning of matter.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #76

Post by EarthScienceguy »

What are you talking about?

There are all sorts of six day creation websites and organizations. The problem in not the evidence it is the lack of science knowledge on both sides of the debate.

Who here can describe what events in naturalistic creation theology or science that caused the acceptance of the multiverse theory when it was discarded back in the sixties?

Or who knows who Lugwig Boltzmann is and why Boltzmann's brains make any type of natualitic creation impossible.

Other phenomenon that make naturalistic creation impossible are energy, laws of nature, constance of nature, horizon, creation of the first stars, why are there no 1 generation stars, where is all the lithium, and list goes on and on.

Any one of the above problems make naturalistic theories impossible. But when they are put together is it any wonder why many secular physicist today witch are embracing a belief in computer simulation theology.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #77

Post by Difflugia »

EarthScienceguy wrote:There are all sorts of six day creation websites and organizations. The problem in not the evidence it is the lack of science knowledge on both sides of the debate.
Yep.
EarthScienceguy wrote:Other phenomenon that make naturalistic creation impossible are energy, laws of nature, constance of nature, horizon, creation of the first stars, why are there no 1 generation stars, where is all the lithium, and list goes on and on.
Case in point.

rondonmonson
Student

Post #78

Post by rondonmonson »

[Replying to post 67 by benchwarmer]

Light is a very interesting subject. In my studies I found that light is only a beam unless it is reflected. I think the waters on the face of the Deep verse is in reference to God using the waters/mist to reflect light. For instance our earth has a sorta bio dome around it, the light we receive brightens the earth because of the moisture in our atmosphere. If you notice, in space its much darker just outside our atmosphere.

Thanks for the welcome....I have prostrate surgery in about a month, so all prayer and good wishes are welcomed.

rondonmonson
Student

Post #79

Post by rondonmonson »

[Replying to post 74 by Tcg]

Hi friend.

God tells us we must come unto Him by Faith alone. He created the universe and demands this of all who come unto him. I am afraid if you are demanding evidence, you are going about it all wrong. I now have evidence in my being, because I know God personally, but until one comes unto God by Faith, you will never be able to see the things of God. Remember, its your soul my friend, not mine. The creation of the earth is all the evidence we need according to God.

I don't make the rules friend.

Gotta go take a shower, nice chatting.

Tcg
Savant

Post #80

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 79 by rondonmonson]

On a site dedicated to debate, it's not unusual to encounter a request for evidence. Since you've provided none for your claim of God imparting His spirit into mankind, I'll assume you have none.

Given that you ignored my question concerning the Lascaux cave paintings and your claim that humans were created 6,000 or so years ago, I'll ask you to consider this:
  • Start date for human civilization moved back 20,000 years or so

A new analysis of artifacts from a cave in South Africa reveals that the residents were carving bone tools, using pigments, making beads and even using poison 44,000 years ago. These sorts of artifacts had previously been linked to the San culture, which was thought to have emerged around 20,000 years ago.

https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/ ... ears-or-so
How do your reconcile this data with your date for the creation of man?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom