Detailing Biblical Creation Mythology

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SallyF
Guru

Detailing Biblical Creation Mythology

Post #1

Post by SallyF »

My Sunday school teachers and Bible class instructors used to quite happily go through the details of how "God" created the universe and everything in it.

I have noticed, in more recent years, that folks who still call themselves Christian avoid discussing the details of the two biblical creation mythologies.

They will go ON and On at length about the science of evolution, but not a squeak on the details in the "Word of God".

When Christians do not discuss the details of biblical creation, why would that be …?
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Detailing Biblical Creation Mythology

Post #91

Post by Tcg »

EarthScienceguy wrote:
What are you basing assertion that humans are older than 6k years on.
I would guess the same thing rondonmonson is relying on to date our oldest written samples at 6k. In the same way that I trust those he is relying on to make that claim, I trust those I have referenced.

It is doubtful that either rely on counting tree rings.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

SallyF
Guru

Post #92

Post by SallyF »

My Cloak of Prophecy told me there would be little to no explanation by Christians as to why they don't discuss the details of biblical creation mythology.

The Cloak was right again …!

I suggest that certain Christians recognise biblical creation mythology as creation mythology.

I suggest that certain Christians recognise it as the fantasy tales of ancient people who had little idea of the universe.

I suggest that certain Christians recognise that their version/s of "God" had nothing to do creating the universe and everything in it.

I suggest that certain Christians recognise that their belief systems are based on human fantasy.

I suggest that certain Christians are dependent on their fantasies in ways that are similar to how addicts are dependent on their drugs.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #93

Post by Tart »

Kind of ironic that you guys dont want to discuss your interpretation of this water above the firmament anymore. While taunting Christians in this way

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #94

Post by Zzyzx »

Tart wrote: Kind of ironic that you guys dont want to discuss your interpretation of this water above the firmament anymore. While taunting Christians in this way
What intelligent discussion can be had concerning 'water above the firmament'?

Has it been established that such a condition prevailed at some time in the past?

Has it been established that a 'firmament' existed? ("In biblical cosmology, the firmament is the structure above the atmosphere of Earth, conceived as a vast solid dome" https://en.wikipedia.org)

The proposal that a solid dome existed above the Earth's atmosphere with water above seems contrary to what is known of the Earth and its atmosphere -- or about physics as related to water. The atmosphere extends about 300 miles from the Earth surface. Can water exist at that elevation in liquid, solid or gaseous form?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Tcg
Savant

Post #95

Post by Tcg »

Tart wrote: Kind of ironic that you guys dont want to discuss your interpretation of this water above the firmament anymore.
What is left to discuss?

While taunting Christians in this way
In what way are Christians being taunted?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

SallyF
Guru

Post #96

Post by SallyF »

Tart wrote: Kind of ironic that you guys dont want to discuss your interpretation of this water above the firmament anymore. While taunting Christians in this way
"Interpretation" …

Okay, well my FAVOURITE interpretation is that it's creation mythology and we are dealing with the fantasies of primitive folk who just didn't know any better and made stuff up to try and answer the big questions.

But that's just my favourite interpretation …

It's not like it's an article of "faith" or anything.

But we have experienced SILENCE from certain Christian folks who may ALSO interpret it as mythology, but are obliged to kinda pretend they may believe it in an unexplained "figurative" way because it's expected of them for religious reasons ... and they can't just tell the rest of the congregation it's really only fantasy stuff …

Even though the rest of the congregation may be thinking the same thing.

It's a bit of a trap really …

In my view.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #97

Post by Zzyzx »

Tcg wrote:
Tart wrote: While taunting Christians in this way
Many regard as 'taunting' any expression of disbelief in biblical tales. In church creation mythology may be considered literal truth so encountering disbelief beyond the church door (or company of fellow believers) may come as a shock.

Encountering reality can be a bit uncomfortable at times.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Willum
Savant

Post #98

Post by Willum »

Tcg wrote:
Tart wrote: Kind of ironic that you guys dont want to discuss your interpretation of this water above the firmament anymore.
What is left to discuss?

While taunting Christians in this way

Tcg
The truth often mocks those who do not believe it.
Do you remember when you first discovered Santa Clause did not exist? Or had some other simplified lie dispelled by a more refined truth?
It is the same idea.
For some reason, or reasons, mankind has been kept in infancy, and also does not wish to let go of it.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #99

Post by Danmark »

Wikipedia has a list of mythologies several pages long.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mythologies
Aren't we lucky to have been born into the one and only religious culture that believes the only one that really happened? :P

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #100

Post by Tart »

Danmark wrote: Wikipedia has a list of mythologies several pages long.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mythologies
Aren't we lucky to have been born into the one and only religious culture that believes the only one that really happened? :P
We certainly were not born anywhere near the middle east, or Israel, however it did come to us...

"And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations..."~Jesus.. Written in the first century, and quoted by a guy with 12 followers, before "America" as a nation ever existed