Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

The REAL story of creation

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

From a current thread:
bjs wrote: The reason for this is that I have found that the majority of non-Christians who want to debate the creation account in Genesis wildly misrepresent that account. They insist that passage must be precisely literal. They ignore context and literary style in order to create a version of the story that they find most useful for attacking beliefs they disagree with. They abandon accuracy for a perceived advantage in a debate.
Okay. I, for one, am open to hearing the official REAL story of creation. The version you prefer.
bjs wrote: I am sure that there are exceptions to this attitude among atheists, but those exceptions are rare enough that I have largely given up on the effort.
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory? Here's your chance to reach many people with the correct version of 'creation'.

Question for debate: What is the real story of creation according to Genesis (or other sources)?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: The REAL story of creation

Post #21

Post by Zzyzx »

Willum wrote: From a “God did it,� mentality.
Goddidit is a simplistic 'answer' that avoids any difficult study to learn actual cause-and-effect relationships.

Why do we have daylight and darkness? Goddidit. He made the sun go around the Earth. (Study indicates that the Earth revolves around the Sun)

Why do we have diseases? Goddidit. He punishes people for sins. (Study indicates that diseases are caused by microorganisms and body conditions)

Why are there droughts, storms, floods? Goddidit. He punishes homosexuals and societies that tolerate them. (Study indicates those are common atmospheric conditions)

If it is really bad, Satandidit. (Theological equivalent of the Big Bad Wolf)
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Diagoras
Guru

Re: The REAL story of creation

Post #22

Post by Diagoras »

The bible account lists 10 major stages in this order:

(1) a beginning
(2) a primitive earth in darkness and enshrouded in heavy gases and water
(3) light;
(4) an expanse or atmosphere;
(5) large areas of dry land;
(6) land plants;
(7) sun, moon and stars discernible in the expanse, and seasons beginning;
(8) sea monsters and flying creatures;
(9) wild and tame beasts, mammals;
(10) man.
Caveat: I am aware of Rule 7. The lighthearted tone of my post below is intended to show how random guesswork couldn’t be a basis for a creation myth. It’s not meant to cause offense.

Just for fun, I randomly drew out the ten ‘stages’ from a bag and guessed at my own Creation story. Here’s how it happened according to that method:

1. A beginning.

Honestly, I did draw this first. So we’re in agreement that starting the story with “In the beginning...� is the way to go. Off to an excellent and thoroughly logical start, then.

5. Large areas of dry land.

Makes sense, right? Look at what we’re standing on. Must have been around before, you know, all the things that are on it. So God is literally laying the groundwork for his creation.

8. Sea monsters and flying creatures.

What monsters, now? What’s this ‘sea’ business? Sure, get some flying things in here, though. God’s above us in heaven and needs to demonstrate what’s ‘above’ by filling the air with wondrous creatures.

4. An expanse or atmosphere.

Phew! Couldn’t come along soon enough, if you ask me. God realised that those flying creatures have to be flapping about in something - makes perfect sense to give them an atmosphere to live in. Maybe the sea monsters will be ok with that too, do you think? Or do they get the ‘expanse’ (whatever that is)? Is it an either/or thing, or just separate terms for the same thing, I wonder. Whatever, we’ve got land and air - that’s the basics in place and the story’s shaping up well.

3. Light.

Oh, wow. How’d he miss that? Can’t deny it’s useful. I would have popped this in on Day Two if it were me, just to make the rest of the week a little easier. That third day must have been pretty unsettling for the flying creatures that were left in the dark with no atmosphere, but what’s forty eight hours when they then get air and light? I’m still a bit concerned about the ‘sea’ monsters though - isn’t there something missing?

2. A primitive earth in darkness and enshrouded in heavy gases and water.

Duuude!!! - who switched out the lights? And what happened to the atmosphere? And the land? C’mon! Is this just overcompensation for the sea creatures, now? I’m not sure many survived the three days without water anyway, but I know some Australian lungfish [strike]evolved[/strike] were created to survive a drought, so perhaps there’s a few that made it through that weird period of suffocating darkness before the Big Day of Light and then final, moist salvation. Kinda like a mini-story of suffering then happiness, so I get that God’s still got a plan here. Clearly not just chucking things into existence willy-nilly.

10. Man

OK, this is logically where we come in. We were created in darkness, there’s water everywhere... and the atmosphere is heavy, man - although for some reason we’re not allowed to call it an atmosphere, ok? Yeah, it was primitive times for sure, but God had a plan for us - everything will make sense by Day Six or so, trust me.

6. Land plants

Aaaand.... boom! The land’s back! Got plants on it, too. Check it out. Sure, still in darkness and a pretty heavy vibe going down, but we’re all vegetarian (plus fish-eaters, of course) and things are coming together nicely. I say ‘fish’, but mostly it’s ‘sea monster’, which tastes the same but is a bit chewy, if I’m being picky.

Not that I’m complaining. God’s doing great work. Got a nice ‘night garden’ going.

9. Wild and tame beasts, mammals.

Bit of a ‘mixed bag’, if I’m honest. The tame beasts are great - got all sorts of big plans for using them. Not quite sure why we needed the wild ones as well though. For one thing, some of them are quite ‘bitey’ and want to eat the tame beasts, or us. And trying to catch fish or tend the garden in the dark has got a lot harder when there’s wild beasts sneaking around. The mammals - well, we’re still sorting them out from the other beasts, as some of the mammals are tame, and some are wild. Difficult to tell (especially in the dark). Did we get our atmosphere sorted, by the way? Still seems... stuffy, if you know what I mean.

7. Sun, moon and stars discernible in the expanse, and seasons beginning.

Holy c**p! What was that??? The light’s back! What are those sparkly things? So many questions...

It’s pretty obvious that this was just ‘God’s Great Surprise! Sure, it may not make much sense read ‘literally’, but this shows how God works in mysterious ways, tests his people and then provides a big ‘reveal’ at the end. It all makes perfect sense this way.

marco
Savant

Post #23

Post by marco »

Diagoras wrote:
7. Sun, moon and stars discernible in the expanse, and seasons beginning.

Holy c**p! What was that??? The light’s back! What are those sparkly things? So many questions...

Moderator Comment

You can be amusing without the expletives, however mild.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.