Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Topaz27
Student

Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Post #1

Post by Topaz27 »

I know a bunch of Christians, and so many of them believe that Noah's Ark is a myth. Basically just a story to teach morals and lessons. I personally see a lot of things wrong with the story of the flood. So I was wondering, if anyone believes the story of Noah's Ark, and the world flood, to be the truth?

Donray
Guru

Post #161

Post by Donray »

onewithhim wrote: And yes I did respond to your reference to drowning babies. Perhaps you could go back and see.

So your scornful statement that there have been no skeletons found on the tops of mountains is unfounded, baseless....pulled out of the air. It is not a valid objection.

:?
First off the following preahing is the only response I see to weather YOU thoink drowning babies is god or evil.
Please knock off the old stale complaint that God is an ogre because He caused the death of children when he brought the Flood. Yes He did show respect to all humans when He allowed them to make up their own minds and take steps to show their chosen course, all the while having the option of boarding the ark with Noah. Yet you blame God for their choices! Regarding the children, they were unable to make those choices, and there is nothing to keep us from believing that God will bring them back to life in the Millennial Kingdom. As for the adults and the Nephilim, they all chose to ignore Noah, who they undoubtedly thought was a fool, and carry on with their incredibly evil way of life. Things had to be pretty BAD for God to bring that way of life to ruin. We don't know the half of it.
The above is not an answer. Again I ask if YOU think drowning a baby is good or evil. This only requires a short response from you and not peaching about have your god does only good things. According to the bible your good is a sadistic murderer. But I am asking your option of drowning babies if it is good or evil. I don't care what your god thinks. I want to know what you think or cannot you think for yourself????

So don't exaggerate about answering my question.

Why are you lying about what I wrote?
So your scornful statement that there have been no skeletons found on the tops of mountains is unfounded, baseless....pulled out of the air. It is not a valid objection.
Please proved the number of the post where I said NO skeletons have been found on the tops of mountains. Do all Christians need to lie about what people said or is it only you that does it to make a point? I will apologize to you when you prove that I said NO SKELITONS.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Does anyone actually believe the story of Noah's Ark?

Post #162

Post by OnceConvinced »

Pleae excuse me if I repeat myself a little here.
onewithhim wrote:
(3) The fact that other civilizations have Flood stories just reaffirms the validity of the Noah narrative. The other stories may have different names for the people who were saved on an ark-like structure, but that doesn't mean that they all could not actually be referring to Noah and his family. If the Noah story was true, it stands to reason that civilizations down the road would have some kind of Flood story, with their own flourishes.
But they do not reaffirm the validity of the Noah narrative. They contradict it. Some of those tales have people climbing mountains and trees to escape the flood, but the bible says quite clearly the mountains were covered.

One of them has a man surviving in a pig trough. another two hid UNDER a tree. Some survived in rafts and canoes. Those aren't ark like structures. Those stories flat out contradict the bible that quite clearly state only Noah and his family survived the great flood.

Many of these happened at different times to Noah's story.
China : 2200 BC
Sumera: 1600 BC
India 700 BC
The Maori of New Zealand even have a tale and they didn't come to NZ until around 1320 AD!

That's fine if the tales were changed so they took place at those times. If the bible story is true, then at most all we have is a local flood and a tale that has done the rounds and been changed to suit the cultures and religions of the day. They changed the heroes, the gods and even the places and times. They made the story local. That in no way supports a worldwide flood. Just that a story of a local flood got handed down generation by generation, did the rounds and got changed.

The bible tells us that Noah and his family were the only survivors. If so then the story was spread by them as they expanded across the globe, right? Their ancestors ran with that story and as hundreds of years passed the names and places were changed.

Can you see what I'm getting at here?

This is why I say you stab yourself in the foot with this argument. Either the bible is flat out wrong about how it went down and those tales were all about local floods. OR the stories we hear all around the globe are a variation of that one flood story which originally happened in the middle east in 2700BC. No where else. Local flood. Can't be shown to be anything more than that.
Last edited by OnceConvinced on Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #163

Post by OnceConvinced »

Topaz27 wrote: Couldn't God just stop them from being evil?
He could have eradicated them with a spoken word. No need to destroy everything else in the process.

It's like a zoo keeper who finds his gorillas have a flea infestation, so what does he do? He destroys the entire zoo and the animals in it instead of just destroying the fleas... or the gorillas.

The entire story is absurd just on this one thing alone. Who in their right mind would cause so much destruction just to remove a few evil humans from the planet? It's ludicrous.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #164

Post by JehovahsWitness »

OnceConvinced wrote: Either the bible is flat out wrong about how it went down or the stories we hear all around the globe are a variation of that one story which originally happened in the middle east. No where else. Local flood. Can't be shown to be anything more than that.

[1] Why would civilizations around the globe have ancient stories of a flood that happened only in the middle East?

[2] Can you try and explain why these civilizations cannot possibly all be describing the same global event global event ? Is it only because of the differences in detail (which, by the way would be expected) ?

[3] Why could those that carried the story around the globe not be descendants of Noah?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Donray
Guru

Post #165

Post by Donray »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: Either the bible is flat out wrong about how it went down or the stories we hear all around the globe are a variation of that one story which originally happened in the middle east. No where else. Local flood. Can't be shown to be anything more than that.
[1] Why would civilizations around the globe have ancient stories of a flood that happened only in the middle East?

[2] Can you try and explain why these civilizations cannot possibly all be describing the same global event global event ? Is it only because of the differences in detail (which, by the way would be expected) ?

[3] Why could those that carried the story around the globe not be descendants of Noah?
JW
1: Because they are not referring to a flood that happened in the middle east. They are referring to local floods the same as the story of Noah is referring to maybe a local flood or they took a story from some other flood and put in the bible. Don't forget, the Noah story was written 2000 years after the 2700 BC date.

2: Because there was no global flood that was 3 miles of water. There id absolutely zero proof that there was a global flood. If you have some please present the scientific article and text books that describe how they proved it. There must be one college level text book that lays out the proof. Please provide the text book you read to get your information.

3: Please provide the DNA evidence that ALL humans have Jewish DNA. Have you taken a DNA test and does it show Jewish DNA? Neither me nor wife show any Jewish DNA. My daughter-in law showed like 2%. So could you shar your DNA results???? If not just study that has everyone with Jewish DNA.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #166

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to post 165 by Donray]

What has to do that all humans descended from Noah and his three sons, with the "Jewish DNA"???? :?:

It is very reasonable to conclude that each one of the stories of a Deluge around the world came from the story of one single event, the one told in the Bible. Some people like to think on the different ethnic groups they know with a very old culture, as persons who are not capable of "civilized understanding". Those communities have stories from their ancestors ... their traditions have been passed from mouth to mouth and many of them put in writing ... They are not simple cavemen who growled to communicate with each other. I think they were very capable of knowing the difference between a local and a global event.

Donray
Guru

Post #167

Post by Donray »

[Replying to post 166 by Eloi]

Was Noah and his family Jewish????? I thought they were but maybe you know they were not?
Why don't you read the following they will explin how DNA testing can tell if a person has trace Jewish DNA. Thus we can test to see if a person has Jewish ancestry.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4301023
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/dna ... h-ancestry

This has a lot to do on if there was a flood and Nosh story is true. If the story is true then EVERYONE would have some percent of Jewish DNA. But since DNA testing by companies such as 23 and me show that the vast majority do not have any Jewish DNA the Noah story must be false.

That is why I asked the person that thinks the story is true to prove it be referring to DNA studies the show EVERYONE has some Jewish DNA.

Now do you understand why it is relevant?????

brunumb
Savant

Post #168

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 166 by Eloi]
It is very reasonable to conclude that each one of the stories of a Deluge around the world came from the story of one single event, the one told in the Bible.
The biblical flood wiped out all humans apart from Noah and Co. That means that all subsequent people across the globe are descended from that tiny group of individuals. Give the biblical timeline, it is hard to conceive of so many different civilisations developing in the span of only a couple of thousand years. What genetic pressures caused Chinese, African, Polynesian, Amazonian, Nordic etc. variations of the human species to evolve. The same can be asked of all the animal variations that developed from a tiny boat load of individuals into the huge array we see today. Not only that, but the variations in humans, other animals and plants are generally contained within certain geographical boundaries. No, similarities in flood stories do not overcome all of the other considerations mitigating against the biblical flood.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #169

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 168 by brunumb]

COULD ALL THE DIFFERENT RACES HAVE DECENDED FROM A SINGLE FAMILY IN THOUSANDS RATHER THAN MILLIONS OF YEARS?

• Most certainly. Any dog or cattle breeder knows it doesn't take millions (or even thousands) of years through selective breeding to produce smaller, taller, darker/ lighter ect animals.The human race doesn't encompass different species, their various distinguising features are in fact a variants on a single theme due to their genetic makeup and scientists speculate these differences arose relatively recently.
    The pale skin of the Europeans for example is dated to between 5-8500 years ago

"Spaniard "shrank" in stature 6000 years ago, perhaps as a result of adapting to colder temperatures and a poor diet"

The gene that allows lactose tolerance (a dominant feature of natives to the northern hemisphere) emerged in Europeans about 4300 years ago.

Adapted from : https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/04 ... white-skin
Blue eye 6-10,000 years ago
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... et%20today.
CONCLUSION

That human features adapted so quickly to their environment as the bible indicates, is well in keeping with the environmental and genetic data scientists have discovered.

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

LOVE, HATE and ...RACIAL UNITY
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Donray
Guru

Post #170

Post by Donray »

[Replying to post 169 by JehovahsWitness]

Please provide the proof that ALL humans have Jewish DNA... If not then the Nosh story if myth.

You will not answer question with scientific proof but only your opion on stuff.

Please provide proof that ALL humans have Jewish DNA. And for your information neither me nor my wife have any trace of Jewish DNA.

So, your religious leaders are just lying to you if the say the Noah story is true. Ask them for some proof.

So, where is your DNA study???????